Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hub cap & hub puller on eBay

Item 3101 1733 3443 This is a hub cap and hub puller for a 1921 - 1926 Durant . To remove the hub, you have to first remove the axle nut, then screw this puller on the hub, screw in a bolt and keep tightening until the hub breaks loose - sometimes needs a tap with a heavy hammer. I already have a couple of these (they are prone to flying off if not on really tight) Don't know if this will work with the disc wheels or not.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Re: Hub cap & hub puller on eBay

Gord are you sure this isn't a disk wheel cap ? I have one of these in the basement I took off an overhead valve sedan years ago, out near Packingham. All 4 disks had these caps. You 1st unscrew the cap and then unscrew the case iron part, off the axle, to remove the disk wheel. I was snooping at the time and had no tools and the left rear one unscrewed by hand so it came home. I also brought the hood home and gave that to the 24 touring owner as a spare. Its now the one Andreas Reissmann is calling a 26. I knew that car in the 60's owned by Keith Collins who Andreas bought it off of. Tried to get Keith to go out and get the rest of the sedan for parts but it didn't happen. I guess it ended up as scrap metal, as she's not there now. The sedan even had the bumpers still on it. If you look in DMAC photos at the disk wheels you will see that cap / hub casting on them.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm: These are used on the rear of the wood wheel cars. I have a couple and they work wonders. Best puller that there is as it screws right on to the hub. Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hi Gord .. Too bad there isn't a rear view of the thing. Why would you have a hub cap screwed onto a wheel puller or did they serve two purposes ? The one I have screws onto the hub and holds the disk on, I think. Same cap of course with the griffin.

Just checked mine and it has 10-AA-238 number on the inside of the casting. Six sided under the screw on hub cap, to screw it on with, threaded hole axle shaft size there. Inside is larger threaded hole to attach to the hub but lot smaller than the hub cap size. Sure sounds like yours but all 4 disk wheels had idential castings / caps.
Norm

Ah, same as Touring-Bill Hoaglan has on his car pics. It shows the cap / casting like I recalled, on the front and rear disk wheels. Seems disk bolted on and this screwed on next with hub cap last. That's why I couldn't pull a disk off the old sedan in the field.

Hey can't recall everything. Such a shame this piece of history is now gone. Was a another D touring up Fallbrooke way. Stupid owners of a new antique shop there found the 24 D touring and Ford T touring in the barn. So they pushed both cars out of the barn and down the hill into the swamp. By time I got there all you saw was 8 wheels breaking the water. Both upside down. Water was clear so you saw most of the cars. About a year later I learned an American had pulled both out and taken them US way. Why an antique dealer would do that ???

On the 1923 A-22 the rear wheel hub, disk wheel and the brake drum are riveted togather as an assembly, the hub assembly is bolted onto the tapered axle with an axle nut...The rear wheels have a threaded adaptor that will thread onto the hub and the cap threads onto the adapter it has a 7/8"NC internal thread for a puller and this adapter is not bell shaped as the one on ebay...Like Gord said that one is for a wood wheel...The front hub caps screw directly on the front hubs.

Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

All I can do is add pics of my casting / cap that was on all 4 disk wheels of the sedan. I didn't have the strength to twist the other 3 off and I was sure a heck of a lot younger in the 60's. Neither could my chum at the time either. We both gave it a good try. I can see the poor car in my minds eye sitting just on the crest of the hill. We almost missed it for weeds etc. It appeared to look like an old shed as all we saw was the upper sedan window area, until we looked at it with binoculars. Normally we accidently had tools for such a mission.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Norm,

The parts book shows a serial number break on those rear Hub Extensions, the ones that I have on my '23 A-22 are streight and the later ones are Bell shaped, I believe that the later Hubs themselves were bolted rather than riveted...I now recollect sending a set of later rear disk wheels and hub assemblys to Jack Melpass down in Huston for his '23 and as I recall the extensions were bell shaped, also the later brake drums were 11" instead of the 12", Jack had to drill all the rivets to salvage his old 12" drums...All part of getting the old Durants up and running...I do believe that the front hubs on all years do not have the hub extension, the single piece hub is machined for the front wheel bearings...Anyway, Gord, I think that adaptor on ebay would work for either disk or wood wheels (I think) Bill

Rear Hub A-22 1923

Front Hub 1923 A-22

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

Hi Bill / Gord .. The one thing I do recall was the front and back bumpers were like your front one with the oval type opening, rather than a twin bar of later years. I was sort of surprised the car would have bumpers back then, as normally those things are accessory to cars. Especially rear bumper as well. The mounted tire would have just fit inside the bumper. We found loads of Stars, T's, Dodges, McLaughlins, Gray Dorts, 490 Chevys, etc etc and very very few had bumpers teens / early twenty's. If we ever found a bumper it came home in case someone wanted to jazz up their car with a one.

The one thing I see looking in pics in DMAC is the spare tire holders. The sedan had a round hoop the demountable rim sat on, which I don't see in any other cars pic'd there. Another difference ? It was an A22 motor in it. Car must have gone for scrap / dump in the last 10 years. I'd motor up that way from time to time for a Sunday drive and look over at her. Never thought I'd get back into cars once again, but the interest was always there.

I guess like our 30's Durant's / Frontenac's not having two the same, it applied in the earlier years also. Might also be partly caused by US versus Canada made cars or even just different plants. Wherever Billy could get same or similar parts from to assemble cars and shove them out the door.

Norm (Moose]

The Durant Motors Automobile Club