Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine Rebuild - 1927 W5 600 into 1926 Star

Motor Rebuild
I acquired my grandpa’s 1926 Star Model M Touring last spring.
Last summer/fall, after doing wheel, tire, brake, suspension rebuilds and finding a valid distributor; I went for a 60 mile test "smoking" drive (with support vehicle). After the drive, the engine was taking apart and examined. The block was cracked all over (Canadian consideration) and the 4th cylinder was deeply grooved. I found 2 blocks from club member, Ray Egeland of Blackie, Alberta; 1 – 1926 Flint plated W5 and 1 – 1927 Star plated W5. The Star block proved to be the best; i.e. never bored and 20 thou natural wear to top of cylinder.

I now have a stripped, cleaned, & bored 40 thou over W5 block. I will be following Lance Haynes’ directives as to rebuild and “tweeking” specifications. He is currently regrinding my cam.

Now I ask club members help in finding sources to parts needed for rebuild. Any and all knowledge is appreciated. Email or call me toll free anytime @ 1.877.624.1404.

Engine Specs :
1927 - W5 600 Bore size was 3.375 inches i.e.3 3/8 inch; now re-bored to 3.415 inches ie. 40 thou.
Parts Needed :
1. Complete Gasket Kit
2. Pistons and rings
3. Connecting rod top pin bushings
4. 8 valves, valve guides and seals
5. Valve springs
6. Crank bearings (SIZE TO BE DETERMINED)
7. Bearing (sleeve ?) for front of cam, in block
8. Timing chain
9. Head studs

Other
1. Oil Gears (are those on EBAY valid ?)-
2. paragraph of how to put in modern seals on crank (front / back)
- _____________

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Re: Engine Rebuild - 1927 W5 600 into 1926 Star

What does the "tweaking" entail?

Dave

Tweaking involves taking bottom off of cam and adding duration to top. Shaving 100 thou from head. 3 ring pistons. Reaming and polishing all intake and exhaust ports including manifold. Extra oil line to timing cover.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa\'s 1926 Star Touring

That's what they did to my 14L. The cam regrind produced a nice improvement, it is no hot rod, but can cruise at 50mph. The way the cam performs now, I can set the car to cruise at 45 mph and the engine will find it way to 50, once there 55 on flat ground is easy.

I've wanted to see the same thing done to a W5, I'm be interested in how things turn out. I wouldn't expect a four to do 50mph but I'm sure the engine will perform much better.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Roadster

Wow! In our car at 55 miles per hour we can disengage the clutch and the fan will pull it, bad gearing I guess

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63 4 door sedan

I did some checking on "modern" pistons. The closest bore is from a Dodge slant six, 3.400. The Packard six bore is a little bigger. Allis Chalmers used 3.375 pistons, but tractors don't go oversize for rebuilds, they just re-sleeve to std.

I don't know about pin size and distance to top of piston, so this might be all immaterial.

But I want to say is you should have had your pistons before you bored the block. It looks like you'll have to go to Egge, if the Continental parts house doesn't have something that works.

It's kind of too bad we don't have the old-fashioned businesses where you could dig through the parts looking for what you need.

Pin bushings should be no problem, valves and valve springs should be no problem. There are those who can build up the bearings. You need to study Hemmings.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Don Shilling from Texas has directed to 1948 Chrysler pistons. They are 3 7/16 which converts to honing the engine 60 thou. (from 3.374 to 3.434) There is a difference of 1/16" from pin center to piston crown but the W5 is accomodating for that, The piston and rings are coming from Gord Graves 705-721-7875 in Ontario, cost $40 per piston and $40 for rings. Valves are coming from Egge Machine 800-866-3443 at a cost of $25.50.
All (non paper)Gaskets were found at Gasket City in Hamilton Ontario 888-335-4686 including exhaust flange gasket for $ 150.

But having hard time finding Valve springs...
Help would be appreciated...
Guy

Re: Engine Rebuild - 1927 W5 600 into 1926 Star to cdmn

my writing was presumptuous... the block has yet to be bored as we were awaiting pistons before doing the boring and wrist pin sizes are same on Chrysler pistons as found on W5

Hey Rick didn't you get your pistons from the guys in Australia? I think you told me that they were cheaper than Egge. Maybe these guys can check those guys out.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Yes, I purchased mine from JP Pistons in Australia. The exchange rate at that time made their prices very attractive and their service was excellent, the pistons even came with rings. I had the pistons made 50 over and as a result that gave the engine an extra 6 cubic inches for a total of 191 ci. I also needed everyone of my valves replaced so I purchased those from Egge. Egge had stainless steel exhaust valves as well as the stock type so I went with the stainless units. I'm sure the new valves will outlast me.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 Roadster

Now that you mentioned it, I knew the Canadian Dodge six used 3.375 bore, and I would guess they made .040 oversize. And since they were popular engines, they might still have new stock. Anyway, there's a good tutorial on valve springs at
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/FAQ/ValveSprings.asp
They have an 800 number, so you should get some help if you can give them the measurements on their diagrams. The flathead is just upside down relative to their picture. Your old springs might have taken a set with age and be a little shorter than when new. I'd give Kanter Auto Parts a call. How about that Canadian Dodge?; Massey Harris with F162 Continental?; Kaiser-Jeep 226 Continental? etc.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club