Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LOCOMOBILE and Continental engines

I found this LOCOMOBILE note in researching the "Red Seal" engine paint inquiry by Dave about the history of Continental Motors. Hemmings Classic Cars magazine Dec 08, Vol 5, Issue 3: "Powerful as a Nation" By Daniel Steel, Pgs 42 to 45.

Further down on page 44 he states;"Rarly did Continental devise entirely new engines for customers, but some of it's more interesting engines resulted from these efforts. For example Locomobile ordered up one of Continental's only overhead valve production engines, the Model 8-P 57HP 198.2-cu. straight eight."

This is the engine in the Durant Mtrs years 25 to 27 LOCOMOBILE Junior 8. Previously it had been identified as an "in-company" built engine (Developed by Locomobile engineer Barney Miller, of Miller racing fame). The engine was then dropped in mid-27 with no explanation.

This may explain why if it was bought by Durant for his Mid-Priced LOCOMOBILE entry. After this time (mid-27)Continental and Lycoming engines were used in LOCOMOBILEs almost excluisvely.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Re: LOCOMOBILE and Continental engines

Lance I'm a little surprised to learn that your car has a ohv engine. I knew that some Locomobiles were powered by the Continental 10S (8-70)and that some Locomobiles were powered by Lycoming motors (8-80 & 88) I didn't realize any of these were over head valve designs.

The model 48's (142" wb) and model 90's were powered by expensive Bridgeport (Locomobile) built engines.

The very first Durants 1921-25(A-22) 4 cyl ohv were powered by a Continental built motors. They were painted a grey/green color with a black valve cover. These motors were built by Continental for Durant Motors....they were never used in any other make of auto (They were a Durant design).

When the Durant 6 (B-22) appeared on the scene it was powered by an Ansted Six ohv (also found in the Lexington).

When Durant Motors wanted an inexpensive Chevy 490/Model T fighter and introduced the Star, it was powered by an off-the-self Continental flat head W4. (A really good design...soon to be improved to the W-5).
Bob

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, Durant A-22, B-22, 633

Bob,
Good info from you on these early Durant OHV engines.
Buit what happened to the OHV Straight 8 Cyl engine?

The BIG question always was why would Billy Durant drop an engine that was accounting for up to 75% of Locomobile production in these years? Well Durant expanded the model line and changed engines(see other Locomobile post)but there was more to the story!

Interestingly this 8 Cyl OHV LOCOMOBILE engine is Dropped in 1927 by Billy Durant. Why? It was the LOCOMOBILE JR-8 engine (we now know as Continental built for Durant Mtrs in 1925 to 1927). But it now shows up in the Little MARMON, and Locomobile goes to other Continental/Lycoming Flathead engines. Why?

Partly this happened when Barney Roos a former Locomobile engineer was hired by Marmon (1927?) to work on a smaller Eight for the under $2000 market (Same market as the Locomobile JR-8 model, now called Locomobile Model 8-66 in 1927). So the engine now appears in MARMON cars.

"The Roos project publicly appeared in 1927 as the Little Marmon, although Barney himself disliking the Indianapolis setup (Marmon Mgt.) had already gone to head engineering at Studebaker. To replace Roos , Williams (Marmon President) took on former LINCOLN engineer Thomas J. Litle and placed him in charge of Marmon's new straight-eight-accross-the-board program"* Marmon would now offer not 1 or 2 but all 3 straight eight lines...coverage in all price fields!

Therefore Billy Durant made the switch in engines (on his own?) or Barney Roos took the 8 Cyl OHV engine development (and Continental production)with him when he moved to Marmon; probably we will never know!

Pg 198, "Marmon A Quest For Perfection", Automobile Quarterly's World of Cars,First Ed, 2nd Printing, E.P.Dutton & Co. SBN 0-525-060006.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance,

Were you in the Air Force and stationed at Udorn Thailand during the Vietnam War? If so, I know you from 432 RTS days.

Terry Reed
816-786-1115

Terry,
Yes that's me from way back in time! I sent you an e-mail and will call you tomorrow evening.
Best regards,
Lance C.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club