Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine paint

The 15L Continental engine in our Durant had a gray block and the cylinder head was red. Just wondering if that is correct since the engine was called a Red Seal Continental???

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63 4 door sedan

Re: engine paint

Dave,
According to an article in Hemmings Classic Cars magazine Dec 08, Vol 5, Issue 3, about the history of Continental Motors: "Powerful as a Nation" By Daniel Steel, Pgs 42 to 45. The "Red Seal name is explained.

On page 44 he states "And no matter the model name, from 1917 all Continentals seemed to carry the same Red Seal nickname, derived from the red paint used to monogram the company's logo on the engines".

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Thanks Lance, got the same response from Mac Irvine

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63 4 door sedan

Dave
My car has the original 15L engine. It is not gray but a gray/green a special formula that Durant used. If you go to the technical section I supplied a color sample some years ago. Although the color may vary on you monitor it is actually a greenish color almost. Several club members have the formula. The engine was not two tone. I suspect the head of your car was repainted at some time during the life of the engine.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

So Lance, .. you are saying the Continental Blue Seal used blue paint to monogram the company's logo on the engines ? Red seal were vehicles and blue seal were industrial use.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: engine paint _What is the "@#$#" scientific formula, grrrrrrrrrr...

I found traces of the "gray/green", a special formula that Durant used, when I dismantled my engine.

Apparently several club members have the formula.

I NEED THAT FORMULA IE. COLOR CODE to take to any paint shop and get it made up.

Would sure appreciate.

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

The number is Sherwin-Williams JX-6386 but it is no longer available. If you find another paint manufacturer that can reproduce this colour, please let us know through the Forum Pages. Sherwin-Williams dealers in Canada cannot provide this colour anymore.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1929 Durant 40 and 1927 Star R cabriolet

Dave,

Try contacting Franz Fraitzl, a couple of years back he had that color mixed and put into spray cans. I don't know if he still has any, but it would be worth it to ask.

fxtechnical@telus.net
604-831-6777

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 Roadster

Well I tried hi and low... in the end, Franz Fraitzl did 2 years ago get a case made. I am a lucky man and will be painting my engine that famous "grey/green"

Thanks to all
Guy

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club