Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Head torquing specifications

Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the torque specifications are for a w-5 cylinder head and what pattern you should go in when tightening the head down. Thanks for your help.

Mark Maggio

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Head torquing specifications

Mark
I think any machine shop worker could give you the tightening torque--and as far as the sequence--start in the center of the head and proceed in a circle going around and around till all are tight. Thats the way I was instructed to do it anyway.
There are torque charts available telling how tight to put the bolt depending on the size of bolt
I will have a look tomorrow If I am in my shop---see what I can find for you.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

And do it in three stages, that is, if the final torque should be 60ft.lbs, first pass 20, second pass 40 and then the final 60.

RonJ

Bolts, studs, screws are very complex mechanical elements. Fortunately, we don't have all the failures we deserve. When it comes to tightening down against a soft gasket, you just don't crank them down to near the breaking point. Gaskets work best with a set amount of squeeze, usually determined by experiment and experience. Sometimes it comes down to a specified torque and then a 1/4 or 1/2 turn more. The tightness will vary all over the place unless you have clean screws, proper washers, and the type of grease or oil they specify.

Carroll Smith wrote a very good book on the subject. Interesting reading. [Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and...]

At a certain point in my career, the Chief put me in charge of fastener design engineering in our office. While it wasn't a real steady line of work, I was able to avoid or solve a few troublesome situations. Many of them caused by too short a screw or too soft a washer. The worst we faced, as an industry, were the counterfiet screws that polluted the stockrooms around the country in about 1982 or so. You could tighten them up one day, and the next day the heads would be lying on the floor.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Mark
Sorry but I cant find the sheet I had with torque specs on it. Seems to be like a lot of other things I have "put away in a safe place" It is too safe -even from me.
When and if I find it I will make a copy and post it here --
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Do a search of the forum site. Bob Porter responded to someone in an earlier post sometime in 2008 explaining the proper way to torque the head bolts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

I have downloaded the 1929 Repair Manual from the site. Page 25 has head tightening bold pattern for a 4 cyl W5.
Also, instructions, I was giving from Lance Haynes are :
torque to 50 lbs , leave overnite and then re-torque to 70 lbs. Get it warm to 180 and re-torque to 70 lbs.

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club