Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Door handles

Has anyone got a pair of outside door handles for a 30 coupe .Also need the trunk handle and latch if I can get one. This car is slowly taking shape so I want to get all the pieces I can to finish it off--Would sure like to hear it running this summer -
Thanks gang
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Door handles

Good luck on the handles Ken. Few lads looking for those spear / V handles. My old 30 614 is missing all four outside ones, Stephans 31 614 is missing his four, Ron's 407 is missing his four and Dot is missing one that looks almost 619.

The Butters lads recast those handles both 619 type and the spear type I'm told. I was told $250 each but I don't know if that's true or not, you would have to contact them. They also cast the headlight spear adorments. nbutters@eagle.ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Check out the guy from Australia that sells Durant Parts. He has some items already cast in stainless steel for the inside and bronze for the outside. He will cast anything and his prices are good at least for the American Dollar/Australian Dollar. I found my inside door handles were the same as the ones used in the 1930/31 Chrysler. I've been in contact with him and he said he will cast what ever I need. He is listed on the Tech Page to the left at the bottom.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

The coupe uses three of the same handles, the passenger side and rumble seat lid are keyed, the rumble seat uses a flat escutheon(sic) and the doors are curved to fit the reveal moulding. Good luck finding any, you might, but then they'll need rechroming. I can almost guareentee that they'll buff off some of the 'spear' detail. I know that Butters has the patterns to reproduce all the hardware for the 6-14. I would think the latch would be similiar to some other more common vehicle?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Ken,
This is the casting shop that I mentioned in an e-mail to Norm, which I got from my friend who is club president of the GARDNER car club (gardnermotorcars.com). They have a pretty good web page too and he's a nice guy!

The casting shop besides door handles and the like also do small parts like small control gears and brackets, etc. in much stronger Stainless Steel, which is very impressive! However there is a slight "reduction" in size due to the process, which they explain.

Not a problem for door handles or knobs but might be an issue on "control gears" and such (loose fit). But I guess clearance could be built back up by Nickel or Chrome plating though.

Anyway look over the web-site possibly for your exterior/interior door handles, and such. They also have some Locomobile items.

Hope this helps you or at least gives the Club another source for cast parts. ATTACHED BELOW:
Lance C.

Subject: Verdone's Castings

Jere has a print out that explains much of the casting process, several pages and you can find them at: http://gardnermotorcars.com/verdone.html
Click on the page twice and it will be large enough to read.

The link to the Verdone site is:
http://www.verdones.com/

HOW TO CONTACT US:
Jere & Marge Verdone
31 Stricklerstown Loop Rd
Newmanstown PA 17073
PHONE 717 949-3341 FAX 717 949-2782
E-MAIL verdones@evenlink.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

I have been eyeing 30 / 31 Chrysler handles. They seem very close to the 619 and my handles, except for the backing to the door moulding. Same design and 4 inch width of handle itself. Reg Bents 30 Rugby touring has the same style handles but flat backed and shorter shank because of the thinner doors.
What I might need is the backing part itself and switch the Chrysler backings to our Durant ones.
Some Co must backing modifications.

Its sold now on ebay but this looks close 250346353042

Norm

correction .. pc dropped part of the sentence. "Some Co must backing modifications". Some Co must have made handles for various cars and with backing modifications to fit the various cars. Durant sure didn't make them.

Hey fellows,
ever thought to have the milled on a CNC?
Franz

Franz
Good thought Only one problem I can think of --What is the cost going to be .__I am a poor retarded oops--I mean retired old man with a small pension --
I have to go with the easiest on my wallet.
Give me a proce and we will see if we can deal.
Thanks Franz
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken,

I have a new set of the spear type door handles in stock. I would have to check my patterns, for the rear handle to see if I have that handle.

Thanks
Mike Butters
nbutters@eagle.ca

Ken .. I shouldn't tell you this and mentioned it to Lance yesterday. If you are not fussy on originality your local hardware store might carry handles for garage doors. Steve here got a couple of sets and they fit his 29 doors and with a bit of grinding of the backing plate will fit the 30 - 32 closed cars also. Stephan has them on his 31 614. The shaft is same size as our locks. Kubota doors seem to have similar handles that might fit as well. I know that's cheating until we find the right handles or can afford them. Norm

Did a bit of looking just out of curiosity, and in my Spaenaur catalogue pages L2 - L9 they carry handles with / without keys I think would fit some of our cars.

Heres an example ... http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=L5

You can't beat the handles Butters makes. Price how much it costs to replate your old ones. Plus the new ones are made of better metal and aren't subject to breakage like the old pot metal ones. Anything I have ever bought from them is top notch!

Dave

The Durant Motors Automobile Club