Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Durant Owner

Hello everyone!

As of Monday I will be the proud new owner of a 1928 M2. E-24583 is in what I think is pretty good shape for the age - there's no rust beyond a few minor surface patches, the tires are new(ish), and until recently the car was driving. Prior owner wasn't mechanically inclined and took it to a specialty shop for work, they started a restoration by taking a bunch of stuff off (like the bumpers) and then ... not sure what happened, but the business changed hands, and the car came back to owner in not-quite-running condition. Looks to be missing the front bumper and a few other odds and ends but the engine, frame, transmission, and body are all good.
I haven't done a vintage car restoration before (although I've done similar things with old motorcycles) so this will be a slow learning experience for me. I do have a secure, dry, warm garage to move the car into, from its current exposed parking, which is a good first step I think. My understanding is it needs a radiator recore, water pump rebuild, and gas tank lining as first steps before I start tackling the finer details.
I'm looking forward to talking to other Durant owners and hopefully learning from the combined experiences of them in my process here. I'm in no big hurry, and would like to have a proper restoration by the end, with as much work as possible done by me. I have a feeling there are a number of 'minor' parts (windshield wiper drive, light switch assembly, etc) which I may need to source as well, and hopefully some of you may be able to give me some pointers for where to find these!

JohnB

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

Re: New Durant Owner

Congratulations John! The guys in this club will be a great help.

John--
Nice to see another B C guy here in the club --You have a close expert parts man there -- This is the best club in the world--Everyone is willing to help . I am not much help but sure am interested in the cars .
Welcome aboard
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Thanks, Ken - I have already heard rumors of some fellow in North Van with respect to Durant parts, but I've yet to hear a name or any sort of contact info. If this some sort of mystery person whom dwells in his hermitage, or does he have a name?

You being in BC - got any suggestions as to a reputable flatdeck towing company to contact for the vehicle move?

JohnB (now with a spot cleared in the garage for the impending arrival).

John ...look under Links Page in this site for the Vancouver parts site. (Doesn't open for me on my pc for some reason, perhaps as I have an older type pc and dial up as well).
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

You lucky luck man, you have Franz Fraitzl there in Vancover who is our Durant machinist, parts man extraordinaire! He is a true blessing to the club and a great guy for sure!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Welcome aboard John... Congratulations on becoming a Durant owner. Think you will find the DMAC the most supportive group around. Fire away with any questions you have and use your Technical Advisor as well.

Yates Milton
Founding President

Welcome to the club, John!! And as close as you are to Franz Fritzl, he'd be someone you might want to get to know!!! He made a new, but old appearing, fan hub for my '31 DeVaux last fall, and it was a work of art. He's truly a gem! Occasionally, he checks this chat room, but if you'd like his email/phone number, contact me and I'll be glad to give it to you....I'm sure he wouldn't mind. John Willoughby

Do You own a car built by Durant? DeVaux

Welcome John, it IS the best car club website, lots of experience,advice,willingness to help,sharing tales of successes and mistakes,without any uppyness,elitisms,no pretenses,just one interest in mind, helping us who love old Durants,Stars,etc.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant sedan

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I got the paperwork done today and have a flatbed to do the move tomorrow afternoon. John, thanks for the offer of contact info, it was already provided by someone else.

Once the car makes it 'home' safely I guess my next step is making an inventory of what's missing and starting to track parts down. Some of it - like the front bumper - I have reason to think are still here in town and have an idea where to go ask if it's hiding in the shop corner.

Dear John Brunstein

Congratulations for your aquisition and welcome to the Club!
I am also a new member. I have a 1927 RUGBY.
Hope you receive the same warm friendly attention I am receiving. This is a tremendous place to share experiences.
When you have time, please, post a pic of your car
Big hug from Brazil,
Dib Franciss

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 RUGBY Model M

Only minor drama in getting my M2 home today, and it's now safely tucked out of the weather in a nice dry garage....with the gas cap back on and no sawdust going all over it (yes, previous owner has indeed managed to get a bunch of sawdust and I suspect water in gas tank by leaving it open while doing porch renos) Time to put that treatment behind it and start improving things!

Here's a couple of photos of it:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Looks good John. Lot better than I had to start with. Have fun and get that baby on the road. If I ever get back down that way I will give you a call and maybe get over to look it over .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken .. we know you started out with a bolt you found while out hunting moose and built a car around it.

Looks like John now has his own car to play with. Like most of us a few parts are missing, but with the lads in DMAC I'm sure help will come if he calls. Appears like a good project. More parts around for the pre 30 cars, than our later ones, at flea markets and Ebay. Welcome to DMAC, John.

Norm

That's looks like a good car John , I hope to see it at the BC meet.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 Roadster

Norm--It wasnt a bolt I found -- it was a lock washer-- sure came a long ways since then..been too busy to shoot a moose since

ken

hi john
i have a number of parts for your car make me a list of what u need i have
window regulators
horn
dash cluster
motor trans
carbs
brake rods
drive shaft
speedo,and cable
front end ass.
ignition,lite switch
good luck with your project
brian in cloverdale

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26star r sedan

Hello John,
welcome to the club.
It is good to see the car being worked on.
I have been asked to look at your car over a year ago and tell the specialty
shop what it needed to make it road worthy.
I know your car quiet well.
I have a list of items that should be replaced or repaired.
I had the last owner over to my place and tried to convince him that with
little tools and a bit of help from me and the club he could make the restoration
happen. I guess he lost interest.
You can call me at 604-831-6777
Franz

Thanks Brian and Franz - I've emailed both of you.

it LIVES!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Spent all yesterday unsuccessfully trying to start her. The 6V battery load tested ok but just can't seem to swing the engine over even a full revolution, although I can turn it by hand (with quite some effort, admittedly). Seem to be making good electrical contact with the starter (I'm jumpering straight to it and its mount frame, and a VOM confirms I'm seeing voltage on the block, so ground is good). Filed the points with some help from a friend, verified spark at plugs, but no joy.

Got on here and found a few of you have the same story. This morning got up all enthused and:
- disconnected starter lead from switch
- fed 6V+ into coil
- set up my 30cc fuel syringe on the carb bowl line (with 50:1 premix 2 stroke oil, I thought extra lubrication might help)
- shot of ether into air intake
- 12V direct onto starter....

...and....

VROOOOOOMM!!!!! Carb seems to be all messed up (throttle linkage doesn't control it, and it's all linked on block side so i can't see what's what) - but... SHE RUNS! In fact the engine ran very smoothly, no weird noises, no funny vibrations, all seems good :)

Only ran it for about 30 sec as no coolant in the system - but I'll rectify that and then see if I can adjust the carb and get it to run at idle for 5 - 10 min later today. Would be good for the engine to run a bit I think and get oil around etc.

Ha ha, John, quite the feeling isn't it ? Not laughing at you but with you.

I'll tell you there's no way you can hand crank Dorothy over without having a heart attack, trying. Takes two hands at that, which I highly not recommended if you don't want a broken hand or tossed across the room. I learned to cup my right hand, with thumb same side as the fingers, when turning over the 09 Ford T. Many a broken thumb in the olden days by car owners doing it wrong.

Steve and I did that with Dorothy and the 12 volt to the starter only, and not connected to any other thing. 6 volt to system. 1st Sunday we got no where and tried all sorts of things, other than almost melt my battery cables from my van to Dot's starter. 2nd Sunday we tried again after discovering I had forgot two very small jets on the carb in cleaning it. Didn't even know they were there. Cleaned them out and tried again. Then I heard a grunt or something and said to Steve, did I hear what I thought I heard ? We sprayed WD 40 into the carb mouth (highly flammable)and away she went. Like you no water in the rad so stopped her quick. Filled the rad and tried again. Away she went and we let her run for the 1st time in over 40 yrs for about 10 min. I actually moved her a car length under her own power and back again. Tell you I felt like a teen again with my 1st car (1930 Durant).

Dorothy ran very strong like she was a new girl and no smoke for her 71,000 miles, that surprised me. No pings or rattles or weird noises to quote you.

I assume you used new oil and should change it after you let her run. We've discussed that in Forum before.

Way to go and enjoy the feeling.

Norm

Verooom!
That's such a wondefful sound of on old engine coming back to life.

I bet you're gonna what to drive it now

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Well, I still want to get a hand crank - easier for e.g. adjusting points etc. than trying to grab the flywheel by hand and turn it. (I grew up starting a 1942 John Deere B where you had to spin the flywheel with your hands to get it started, so I know all about hand cranks - in retrospect I'm probably lucky to still have 10 fingers!)

Water pump leaks way too much so it's due for a rebuild, and there's pinhole leaks in the rad, and in the end I didn't get it started again today - but now I've heard it run myself and I've got enough faith in it to start doing serious work. Gas tank out and clean/ line will be the first job followed by rad and water pump - meanwhile rewire entire electrical system and maybe take off and reverse the carb so linkages are on outside.

...THEN I'll be ready to take her for a drive

Does anyone have the dimentions of the flat 'key' with two pins which should go in the ignition switch?

Congratulations from Brazil, John!
I also bought my Rugby now. It will arrive in 5 days.
Regards,
Dib Franciss

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 Rugby, Model M

Congrats, Dib! Will you have a phot of it to post soon?

Congrats, Dib! Will you have a photo of it to post soon?

John,
Congratulations, It's a Great Feeling when you bring any OLD engine to life again, isn't it!!

I did simillarly this past weekend on a 77 GMC 4 Wheel DR SWB (350/350) pick-up. I got it for FREE (with full CASH) last week for one I just sold. It hadn't run for a year (or more!) and had lots of bad parts & problems too! Like you I got it running but on a "remote Gas bottle" and then was able to move it front to back checking the; brakes, steering, trans and axles out. Still has (carb/fuel)Problems in that it burned 2 Gals in 5 minutes of running: Great Fun though!!

Now back to getting my Locomobile OHV engine, and 30 Durant 4 Cyl engine running after I check out their bearings, oil pump, carb., then change the oil, etc. etc. Great, Great Fun!

Congratulations again, on getting your Old one running again.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club