Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine serial # ????

Hi,

I found an engine , 4 wire wheels ,and front and rear running gear. laying in weeds behind a barn.

engine plate is only ID. sez mfgd by continental for durant motor co.. has the # 15L 22710

no other info........

help ?? what have I found

email azroper@netscape.net
ph-520-444-0176

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Re: engine serial # ????

Ross,
Sounds like a later Durant 1930 or so. I'm interested in the Wire Wheels for my 30 Durant. Can you describe them (how many lug holes ?, Lug holes inside wheel center ?, Center hole(Diameter inches), Rim Diameter in Inches (bead to bead). Thanks much.
Lance C.

My e-mails are attached to this post.

Work (850) 882-3862
Home (850) 678-2687

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

15L Continental would be 29.

Dave

All,
I have talked with Ross and he is going back up to where the parts are near Benson AZ and will take some Digital photos to post for Club members, by next weekend.

He thinks that the Wire wheels have a smaller center hole (3" inches?), but will check again. This is the earlier type Wire Wheel So again sounds like a 28 or 29 Durant, with complete drive-train and suspension.

All parts have surface rust, and the Widow who has them is open to any reasonable offer. He would like someone to get them that needs them.

I told him someone in the Club would be interested in the parts. He mentioned he was looking for a Durant or Star open car.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Dave don't forget it could be a 28 also. My Model 65 has a 15L engine in it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

The 15L was introduced in 1928 with the model 65 and continued into 1929 with the model 63. The wire wheels could be one of three types used. The smaller 3 inch center came in both 4 and 5 lug patterns and I believe the larger 5" center was a 5 lug wheel. I think that only the 4 and 5 lug style were available in 1928.

Rick

Where Are You From? www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQ_PGxD-vM

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Roadster

That's true Mike. I forgot about the 65.

Dave

The 15L was used on the model 65 in 1928 and models 63 & 66 in 1929. I don't think it was used in any other models. Those wire wheels sound like the one ones used on my roadster.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

Not to cloud the issue, reading Terry's site on the 60, he says.
Part of the "new line for 1929", the model 63 was billed as having "an extra long stroke". The question is extra long compared to what? The engine specifications for the model 63 seem identical to the model 60.
Have to ask Steve if his 60 has the L15. Seem to think thats what he has.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Back in the old the days, it could take weeks or even several months to create advertising material, print it and ship it to all of the company's dealers worldwide. With no FedEx or computers back then shipping took a long time, remember when it took 6 to 8 weeks to ship just about anything, now it's there in a few days or even overnight. Then by the time it all arrived at the dealer, changes had been made to the cars that made those documents obsolete. That could be a reason for the mention of a longer stroke or the Durant advertising department could have jazzed up the writing to sell more cars.

A third possibility could have been that the Durant advertising department didn't completely understand the information as it came from Continental, since they weren't technical people.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Hi Rick .. think we got our answer from a scammer, ha ha.

I used to chuckle when at MetLife. Snail mail letters for everywhere were rec'd almost overnight, yet one for a few blocks away from us took near a week or more to get there. Could have walked it over. It was all picked up and sorted at the same main post office. Bags and bags of the stuff, incoming or outgoing. Just had to love our postal system.

(That takes me back to my 1st days at Met when all males started in the mail room and females in centeal files, filing papers / apps)
Norm

That spammer has been up early for the last three days.

To finish my point about factory information and marketing material, I would expect the brochures to contain some inaccuracies simply due to the extended amount of time between final paste up and dealer delivery. You might think of the sales brochures more as the original idea for the car. About 12 years ago there was some discussion in one of the Model A Ford club on the same topic. At that time I used to belong to a chapter of the club that specialized in collecting Model A advertising, there I learned that even the world's largest car company, Ford had to plan the release of there advertising materials months in advance and in some cases there still where differences between the car on the showroom floor and the car in the brochure. So I would expect the same for any other car company of the era and with the Durant company we have the added challenge of differences between factories, some intentional and some placed on them by financial realities.

I don't know what that offensive crap is on our site, but it needs to be gone. I didn't go to the sites, but it doesn't take a genius to see it isn't about cars.

Dennis .. as Rick pointed out its in several of our Forum mails. Don't know if he can remove each mailing as admin of the system. I get similar crap from time to time that seems to bypass spam filters.

Over the past few days, this tread has been hit by for lack of a better word Spammers, but I can think of others. Each morning I take action to prevent them from attacking our website in the same way they did the day before and as soon as I am aware of these entries I delete them. I will not go into what I do to defend our forum here as it is not for public knowledge, I'm sure you'll understand. The forum has been up and and running for ten years and most people who visit will never realize that monitoring is a constant job and during that time this site been relatively free of unwanted material.

Rick

Thanks Rick for a job well done! It's a shame that the low lifes don't have anything else better to do.

Thanks Rick ... thankless job I'm sure, but we appreciate it. No we don't need to know your fancy foot work on the site. About a month ago I got into the behind the scenes of Bravenet somehow via my mail server. Don't ask I have no idea, it just put me there and I could add / delete / modify mails and god knows what else. Backed out real quick. Don't normally use NCF mail system, just Outlet Express, both NCF / Hotmail are connected to for all mails, in, out, sent, deleted. Hotmail is handy when NCF is down as a back up. With OE connected to both I don't have to sign in each site and remember addies etc, OE does all that.

Yes Dennis you have that right. Feel sorry for people like my 91 yr old aunt, out in Vanc, who doesn't fully understand worms / viruses and spam mails. Why these jerks have to ruin other peoples pleasure, I have no idea. With my aunt its her way to talk to family and friends in Canada, England and US, and us to her. Keeps most of the family united and updated. She's one grand old lady, just like her mother (my gramma) was.

Not any pc teckie myself. Many a shout to my sons asking what dad has done wrong now. Luckily the eldest works for Adobe but talks pc lingo, way over my head. Put it in the Queens English so I understand, what to do, ha ha.

Norm

Since this tread has been under attack for sevral days now, I am closing it. This simply means that all posts will still be visiable, but no new posts including spam can be added.

Rick

The Durant Motors Automobile Club