Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
roofing material

Hi everyone
Just cleared my driveway AGAIN. Another 4 inches of the white crap. Sure happy to have a 4 trax with a plow--(drive is 200 feet long by 20 ft wide ) svaes me a lot of work
I am just wondering what method is used to put the roofing on . I believe there is some sort of padding --and chicken wire or something like that , under the weatherproof roofing. I have a source here for the roofing material (I have forgotten the name of the stuff) so I can get it locally . Also know enough to put it on in the heat and stretch it very tight. Just preparing for the spring time . Yes Norm --I know you get more snow than I do --I did live there for a while . --ha ha
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: roofing material

Oh sure .. get my name into the snow thingy again. Luckily the 2nd storm by passed us and we didn't get a 2nd dumping of 15 cms (8 inch) they promised us.

Yep chicken wire across the entire roof with cotton batting on top then your cobra grained top material. Not sure if you can still get long and short grained or only long. I still have the metal finishing strip that went around the roof top, all piled in the back seat with nails sticking out everywhere. Not sure its of any use or just put new stuff.
Go easy on the cotton batting. My former 614 the lad put so much batting up there it looked like an over stuffed bed as it puffed up higher than the top roof edge and looked really stupid. Was about a 1/2 - 3/4 inch too high and pulled the canvas sides up.
It tells you in the Dykes manuals how to do it and also another 30's book I found on auto repairs that covers soup to nuts on damage to cars. The deceased park owners father was a body mechanic and I assume it was his book in the 30 / 40's.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Wonder how a layer of 1/2 inch foam would work for the padding?? Easy to cut to size and readily available anywhere. I can get the cobra here but dont know if its short or long grain --think its long.
I lived in a mobile home park in Bells corners when I was there. (called nepean now I guess) Lived down near the experimental farn first for a couple years .
I have the metal strips that go around the cobra material looks good yet-(not bent up and only a bit of surface rust on it)
Thanks for the info
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken.....

Check any Model A Ford book for good details on installing the top material.

One trick we have used to get it stretched nice and tight is to make an oversized wood frams of 2X4's amd tack the top material to it. Place it over the roof of the car in the sun and wait till it stretches out nice with no wrinkles. Then you are ready to tack it down.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Ken ... that mobile park has been in the news for some time now. Owner wants to sell the land and force all the home owners to move their mobiles off the property they have lived in for many years. Its a community unto itself and most can't afford to do that nor any place to move to. Last I heard they are raising funds to buy the property themselves and toss the owner out. Yes Bells Corners part of Nepean and now under Mega Ottawa. You've been gone too long. Homes are now out to Stittsville that way and the new Ottawa goes almost to Arnprior, takes in the towns of Stittsville, Carp, Fitzroy Harbour, Packingham, Richmond, Russell, Metcalfe, Kars, Cumberland, Orleans, etc. It you recall South March was about 4 or 5 buildings in the country, on the way to Carp, that whole area is homes now for miles.

Norm,
Saw you post to Ken. How about on the North side accross the river in GATINEAU on the QUEBEC side? Has that built up the same as the OTTAWA area?

Hope your wife is doing better. Try to stay warm!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Hi Lance, oh you mean Mega Gatineau. Hull, Aylmer, Gatineau ,Gatineau Point and ? are now under one umbrella, also. Not sure if it goes to Wakefield as well. I don't cross the river and go into Que very much. If I do go its at the dam at Portage du Fort up Shawville way, and behave myself coming down to Aylmer to re cross to Ont. Que cops still target Ont drivers for no reason and break the law themselves such as pass on dble lines etc. We were doing the winding road to Wakefield and this cop passes us like we were standing still, up and over the hill and clearly marked dble line. And no not any emergency on his part. They do that there and had it been me I'd probably been jailed. And yes the houses go for miles now in all directions. Hull, Aylmer, Gatineau. What was country is now city.
They have been Mega sizing cities all over the place as its supposed to cut expenses. Doesn't seem to have and now farmers who have done their own thing for years are now under city rules /regs and can't do this or that and get hit higher taxes as they are city not country. Whole bunch of problems created with Mega sizing but they can't go back now. Town halls are closed and sold, funds pooled into one place ,records merged. Street names if now duplicated have been re named. Etc etc. Been a few uprisings to try to get it reversed. Seems funny to see blue boxes for recycling miles out in the "county" now ,where farmers burned before or their garbage went to local dumps, now closed. I know for a fact some of us oldsters will continue to do what families have done for generations in the country until caught, then claim not to have known.

Di's home again and it was a 5 hr op. She's actually getting bored so I know she's on the mend.

Norm,
"Annexation" is the same problems down here in the Lower 48. Annexation of small towns and Farms into the cities. What was Farms and little Towns now are sub-divisions of the nearest BIG city! As you say too bad if you fall under the "New" city rules, and not in the "County" (or country) anymore.

It is pushed as "progress and cost savings" but usually brings neither! Just; higher costs, higher taxes, with more laws and regulations.

Glad to hear your wife Di is back home again and doing better, "on the mend". That is good news!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club