Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why have the coupes survived?

It seems that a majority of cars turning up lately for sale are coupes. I wonder why they have survived and the others haven't. Were they more popular or less?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Why have the coupes survived?

I think that because there were only two doors to get out of misalignment because of deteriating wood etc. that the coupes survived. I have not looked up figures showing numbers built, sold etc of the the various models. The weather paid havoc with the fabric tops of the sedans, and the moisture caused the roofs to decay, hence the whole car sort of perished.
Thats my two cents worth.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

I agree with Gordon. We all know that Open cars (Tourings & Roadsters) deteriated faster than closed models because of the canvas tops. One the top went the rest of the car quickly deteriated if left outside.
Also by the mid 20's Closed models were starting to out number the open ones. By the late 20's there was a total reversal in numbers produced and Closed models dominated because of their year-around all weather capability. As they made more closed cars they also became cheaper which also drove the costs down (quanties of scale).

Even though 4 doors were produced in greater numbers, the 2-door models always seem to be more valuable than 4 doors. So more 4 doors were scrapped, even though they were made in much larger numbers than 2 doors.
However if we check the numbers of ones surviving now, I think you will find many more 4 door models left. Again Greater production numbers equal Greater survivor numbers. That is why Open models from the late 20's and 30's are so very rare (very small numbers made).
The only exception is if a car was so rare or so expensive then large numbers survive, like Duesenbergs or Corvettes...But more open models were saved even in these brands...because of higher :Open car" value. Many closed ones were re-bodied as open ones, many sedans were cut up to restore coupes...Dollar Value again.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Most coupes were owned by bachelors, and it is well-known that they don't feel the pressure to keep up with the Jones's, and they keep stuff long after others think they are too shabby. Besides, they put very few miles on them because they have no social lives. About the time Durant ended, the bachelor farmers switched to pickup trucks, but slowly, because of the depression. Cheaper to cut the back off a coupe.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club