Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Driving in New York City 1928

Here is a fun film from 1928. The driving is a little on the wild side and about 3/4 of the way through the film you'll notice a police car that looks like a Star Roadster.

Buckle up for this ride.

Rick

Where Are You From? www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQ_PGxD-vM

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Roadster

Re: Driving in New York City 1928

Rick,

Thanks for the entertaining clip. I think you are right about the Star.

Yates

Rick,
I played this one earlier at breakfast this morning...WOW what a lot of fun, seeing the "Old Times city life" even if a bit made up, Great Fun!!

Really enjoyed this clip, a real keeper. Keep them comming!!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Hay Rick Is this available is full size? If so I would like a copy It looks like a 26 or 27 Star.

Yes Bert, you can change the size of the movie to full screen. On the bottom right side of the movie screen. Click the button second from the right corner, see picture. To reduce the size press you’re ESC, escape key.

Rick

Photobucket

Where Are You From? www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQ_PGxD-vM

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Roadster

Woops,,, when I select the full screen mode, all action stops and the "press esc to exit full screen" message is displayed.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

That message should go away after a few seconds, then the movie shold start again. If it doesn't your connection is not fast enough and you should go back to small screen mode.

Where Are You From? www.archive.org/details/OaklandC1928

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 Roadster

The passenger in the taxi looks like Babe Ruth, or is it an actor who looks like him? When was this film made, anybody know?

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 1930 Durant sedan

Yeah I thought it looked like Ruth also. The driver looks like Harold Lloyd the comedian.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike,
I think you both are right. Babe Ruth and Yankee Stadium fits, with Harold Lloyd driving! Sorry about the slight (aka Bob) in the other posting,.. very fat fingers!!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

You guys are correct as this is a clip from Harold Lloyd's 1928 silent movie titled "Speedy". And yes, That was also Babe Ruth in the back set of the cab! Ruth also later appeared in the Lou Gerhig Story with Gary Cooper.
This was Lloyds last silent picture. You may note... When the horse drawn trolley smashed into the Steel beam near the end of that sequence.... it wasn't a stunt, but an accident! Looks nasty!!

Rick, when I finished watching this last week there were a few different clips shown across the bottom of the screen. Among the clips was one titled "The New York Twelve, You Drive Me Crazy 1930". About 1 min into the clip was a picture of 4 people in a Dort Touring with the back end setting up some cement stairs. I can't seem to find it again?
Good job finding and posting these old clips... there fun to watch!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club