Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Cars and Al Capone?

Pat, an old country mechanic, friend of a friend, told my friend, who told me, that Al Capone liked (owned)Durants.

Can anyone add to this legend or put the lie to it?

My wife calls our Mod 70 sedan the "Gangster Car", perhaps it just stereo typing or is there some dark truth hidden out there?

Arthur

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-70, Deluxe Sedan

Re: Durant Cars and Al Capone?

Maybe, but I doubt it. I have a series of books put out years ago by Time/Life on the Gangsters. It's a 10 volume book set and have watched a lot of specials on the History Channel etc about the old bookleggers and gangsters. I think big Al preferred Cadillac's and had several that were bulletproof. He also preferred Lincoln's since many police departments of the time and I think specifically Chicago used them as police cars. Not to say he never rode in one or his henchmen didn't use them, but Al was supposedly making over a million dollars a month or so during the heyday of prohibition and he would probably go for a fancier car. Now maybe a Locomobile might interest him. It's said that his Cadillac and other cars even had sirens installed to blend in with the police cars of the times.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Speaking of our man Billy Durant and Al Capone they and Henry Ford all died in 1947.
So there is a connection.
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Arthur .. I got the same impression looking at Dorothy. I think its the larger tires that make it seem that way. 30 - 31 were 4.75 /5.00 x 19's but for some reason the 1932 614 - 618 Durants got 5.25 / 5.00 x 19 on Dominion cars. The tire books confirm the larger size for 32 only. Few folks have put the larger sized tires on the 30 - 31's.

E, 407, 614, 618 have 19's
but E, 670, 685 and 618 D are also 18's

Your 670 and Gords would have the 5.25 / 5.50 x 18 and being a dropped frame would made it even more Gestapo looking.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

oops it should say 5.25 / 5.50 x 19 not 5.25 / 5.00 x 19. Can't trust pc's

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club