Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two more lost 1930 coups now rods

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109145

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321190

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: Two more lost 1930 coups now rods

Norm
You want to make my blood boil, then get me started on hot rodders taking a great antique car and chopping it all up to make a stupid looking hot rod or rat rod. There is a guy out in Washington State or Oregon that has a Packard Darrin that he chopped and hot rodded. What a moron and I've seen Paige's, Grahams etc. some very rare cars. I have nothing against hot rodders but pick on the cars that have the bodies newly manufactured such as Fords, Chevy's or the fiberglass bodies such as Willy's. You can buy new manufactued 32 or 36 Fords or Chevy bodies in metal or fiberglass. Heck I once even contiplated building a shelby from a kit. Don't take a piece of history and butcher it just because you want to relive your youth and the days of horepower past.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Sad to see those two cars go. There are only a couple of things that could be positive. That is the drivetrain parts could become available for a restorer, street rods are probably driven around more, so more people will be exposed to Durant and the workmanship on many street rods is great (except for the ratrod trend which I'll NEVER understand--what you couldn't afford to have the car painted?

Didn't realize one was Atwater California until I rechecked the forum on it. Looks like the chassis / running gear was there with the wire wheels.
I was sent the other as a possible parts for Dorothy for shock arms, links and axle plates. That one is Canada somewhere. He made reference to the other so I assumed another Canadian Durant.

This is the same site where Chad's coup in Guelph, with screwy vin if you all recall, was again sent to me as a possible parts. Luckily Chad's has a new home with a couple in their 70's, who are restoring it as they had a coup in their youth. Chad seems to be the fabricator of rods for people and chops up cars of the 29 - 32 range such as Hup's, Essex etc.

Just looking at their site and hit parts for 1924 Durant

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291667&highlight=durant

and taillight lense jobber I think without the beehive

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291425&highlight=durant

Norm, Mike , Russ,
I agree with you all! It's too bad that these "Rare" cars are being lost. I walk the line on this because I see both sides, and am a CAR guy.

I agree with you all that most Hot Rodders do or will, spend their time on early Fords (sometimes Chevys too)...except the early Chevy's are usually too much work because of the wood-framing for them! Fords are a relatively easy "build" because of all the aftermarket parts and written articles on them. Plus they are worth a lot more when done.

Unfortunately some take the easy Lazy route and attack a Restored or Rare car over doing real work on a derlict no one wants! In the latest, Hot Rod/Muscle Car magazines the merit of this is being debated as well as the whole Rat-Rod thing! Actually those into Rat's are a sub-culture who like to be outrageous and provoke even "regular" Hot Rodders. Note: Hot Rods had paint in the Good-Ole days, and were well built!

Maybe there is room enought for all of us if they leave the "Rare" cars alone. That being said, some improvements (brakes, tires, engine improvements, hidden electric updates, etc.) should be possible if WE are actually going to drive our cars everyday reliabily (or weekly) in traffic. Some of our cars are approaching 90 years with the youngest are now 77 years old.

Some thoughts,
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Lance
I agree with you in part. When I go to local car shows I admire the hot rods also, and the work that went into them etc. But being an AACA member and Judge I'm a purist at heart and like to see the old cars brought back to their original state when possible and driven as much as possible. The key with me is drive them and let people see what these cars were really like. Of course your not going to take your Durant or Locomobile on the Interstate or through many cities at rush hour. I understand that some modifications need be made for safety and benefit of individuals who have health or physical handicaps but they can be done tastefully.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike,
I agree with you having been a Local car show judge for 10 years and recently invited (again) to join the AACA.

I'm a purist also on Antique and Classic, as well as Muscle cars (modern Antiques?). I also like to "build" as well as "restore", so I understand both sides. Some cars are beyone sensible restoration and many cars were modified or "personalized" somewhat after they were bought by their first owners.

There is a wonderful "New" movement to keep old cars as "Original" (except for maintence items) and get away from the "Over" (or needless) Restorations of cars that have made it to today with minor wear-and-tear from the past. I support that too. Not every Corvette was Red nor was every 60's Dodge/Plymouth a "HEMI".

I also hate the "My" car is better than yours mentality because of; Age, Brand, Style, Color, Number of Doors, etc. etc. Hopefully Mike in our Car Hobby there is room & space for everyone at all levels to enjoy cars!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Lance .. I was going to email you about another orig Locomobile for sale on Ebay you might like to add to your stable with the 410 Durant

Sorry the devil made me say it.

Guys more info on that site and now a Star same thread and a 28 D sedan if you see recent postings. More cars being lost.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109145

28 Durant

Here's pics of a 28 I bought a few years ago. Motor was rebuilt in 49, never started. Had it running round the yard in about an hour. Paid more for tie downs to get it home than I paid for the car.

24 Star one
Pretty interesting project. I am just getting started on a 1924 star car touring. It is missing the back half of the car or at least the back two doors and seat. So I am transforming it into a roadster pickup. It should be a one of a kind since Durant never made a roadster pickup that I have seen. I will post pics. So if any restorer needs parts for that year car email me and let me know because I had a pretty complete car other than some of the body.

sorry wrong post its

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321190

I see Greg has also posted in Evils forum to let DMAC guys know if they have parts they don't want, as I have, so they are not lost for all time.

p.s., evil sold all his major parts to club members last year when he disassembled the car..

Yes Gary ... Once they got into it more on Evil's forum he mentioned his name and I knew it was the same car.

So now we seem to have a 24 Star and 28 D being turned into rods and the Star lad saying he is going to have lots of parts hwe won't need. Bet a few DMAC'ers would envy parts of that vintage

Norm

The Durant Motors Automobile Club