Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spark Plugs

I have been doing a little bit of research on sparkplugs for our Durants. The Factory parts books that my father and I have (Durant Motors of Canada & Dominion Motors of Canada), up to june 1930 do not list a sparkplug at all,after june 1930 they list Champion spark plugs but no part #. I should be noted that Dominion Motors took over Durant Motors approx. june 1930 ish?We have tune up charts printed by BETTER AUTOMOTIVE EQUIPMENT 1932 stating both Durant and Frontenac using Champion C-7 spark plugs on their 1930-1932 vehicles, with a note at the bottom "approved by Dominion Motors of Canada"
The above is a Canadian trade magazine from Toronto Ont.
We also have a sales flyer from Duant Motor Car Co. of Lansing no date but must be 1931 or later as it lists the 619 model. In the flyer they will sell you a set of "CHAMPION OR A.C. sparkplugs" for $1.85 a set of four or $2.75 for a set of six!!! Too bad we can no longer order from these flyers as I beleive that we might be able to get our cars on the road that much quiker!
I hope that this give some people food for thought.
Happy New Year
Will

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22 touring

Re: Spark Plugs

Hi Will

Whoever had Dorothy in the past seems to have kept a few things ,rather than toss them out. The 32 has no door pockets but a double pocket behind the front seat. In that I found an empty envelope from Durant - Frontenac Motors, Toronto Canada to the orig owner in Brockville, rusty C7 plugs, used orig points and a few other bits and pieces. That seems to add to what you found out on the plugs.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Will
I've just been researching this myself lately as I wanted to obtain a set of original plugs or at least period plugs. My car had 5 AC 75 plugs and one Champion C-4 in it. It's the 15L engine. I contacted a guy on Ebay that sells nothing but spark plugs both antique and new. He says his books go way back. He advised that Durants originally came with AC 78R or AC 78RT and that AC 78 could also be used. But I'm not sure of what book he's getting this information from. One of the Durant tune up charts that I have lists the Champion C-4 as the correct plug for my car. Norm says Champion C-7 is for the 614 that he has. I've contacted via email several collectors that collect nothing but spark plugs to see what their books say and what would have been period correct but they have not gotten back to me yet. Maybe someone in the club has an old plug book that will enlighten us. I know that at least the C-4 plugs when you can find them are expensive and the guy quoted me $50 to $100 a piece for the AC 78R plugs.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike
I finally found the "MOTOR SPECIFICATION BOOK" 5th edition copyright 1928 printed in New York
I lists both Durant and Star from 1925 - 1928 using A.C. spark plugs!
I Think that maybe with the crash in 1929 that maybe Durant could buy plugs from Champion cheaper or maybe they owed too much to A.C. and Champion would give them credit???
We will probably never Know!
Their is nothing wrong with either plug except price.
I prefer using the old take-apart plugs,the cars seem to run better with them. The down side is they don't last as long as the newer ones. I the ads they advertise the you can get 10,000 miles from a set!!
they don't metion that you should probably clean them at least once in that time.
If you are looking to seriously judge your car I feel that you could use either plug as they are both mentioned in the factory sales flyer mentioned above.
good luck with your quest.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask
Will

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22 touring

Will,
I saw your Spark Plug reference;" found the "MOTOR SPECIFICATION BOOK" 5th edition copyright 1928 printed in New York".

Was there a listing for LOCOMOBILE Junior-8 of 1925 and 1926? Were all the other LOCOMOBILEs listed for 1927, 1928 years (i.e,also model 70,80,90,and 48)?

We are trying to find ANY LOCOMOBILE information for the Durant Mtrs years since it is very, very hard to come by. Thanks Much, for any help you can provide!!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

I guess for a bad pun "What ever turns your crank"

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club