Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steering wheel Restoration

I have a 1930 614 Durant. The steering wheel is cracked in a couple of places. Is there anywhere I could send it to get a like new restoration. It seems to me like the steering wheel is made out of bakelite, but i'm unsure. Does anyone know for sure what material it is made of?

Thanks
Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Steering wheel Restoration

Shaun,

Check Hemmings. There were at least two places that restored steering wheels.

Rick

Shaun
Lordco auto parts has a product called PRO FORM PF 704 .It is a flexible plastic epoxy repair kit and is a two part product. I patched my steering wheel with it and it really looks good It would fill cracks very easily -I had pieces missing and formed them from this stuff. Only needs a bit of sanding and polishing to be an expert repair
Give it a try and save yourself some money.
web site is --www.proformproducts.com
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant - model614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Yeah try to find a steering wheel for your 6-14 that isn't cracked. Not sure what the original material is, a hard rubber material? Smells like rubber when burned (found this out when trying to remove my wheel from the steering shaft). There is a nice booklet out on DIY steering wheel restoration, or I've had great results using a company calles Koch's (on the web and advertise on Hemming's)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club