Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
614 wood top and door post

I have a 1930 durant 614. It has been in my family for quite some time. I'm geting ready to start the restoration prossess. All the metal is in top shape but the wood roof and passanger door post have rotted out (there could be more but this is what I can see). I'm wondering if this body is compatible with any wood kits on the market, what kind of wood was used, and any tips I can get to help with the prosses of replacing the wood structer.

Thanks Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: 614 wood top and door post

Shaun
I just got done replacing the wood on the top of my 28 model 65. Originally I believe they used Ash or Oak because of the strength of the wood. Since down here int he South we don't have ready access to Ash, I replaced mine with Oak. Also I did not have a saw mill close by, so I had to go to Home Depot and get three 1" x 6" oak boards sanded both sides and glue them together and then cut them down to size and shape. I started from the back and worked forward, and just prior to cutting the last piece above the drivers door, I checked the door alignment and cut the piece just right to allow the doors to align properly. As far as I know there are no "wood kits" that would fit exactly and most of the club's members have just done it from scratch as I don't believe anyone has any patterns. Don down in Texas has done a lot of wood work on his Stars but they would not be the same as your Durant. I'm not sure if my 1928 would be the same as yours either or I could send you some of the old wood as a pattern off of mine. I can take some photographs and send them to you if you'd like of what I've done.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike the 614 is nothing like the pre 30's. Yours is all wood and ours is mainly steel. I'm having trouble visualizing this rotted passenger post. Might be the wood behind the rear door as everything forward is steel posts. 614's used maple and oak but I'm hoping to use white ash. Ash won't split when you nail in the pile of nails like oak or maple does. Got this info from a lad here who's done a number of cars.

Best guy would be Lance as the wood in the 619 is the same he restored. Also pic's of the car showing the woodwork to some degree in the before pic's. I copied out one hoping to understand the header for Dorothy's where I have a row of bolts instead of wood with bolts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Mike,
Thanks for the information. I was thinking a kit might be a wishful thinking. I've been restoring a 69 Mustang and it's so much easier. Anything you need to replace can be found online. Information is so abundant and available without really looking. It's a whole different ball game with the Durant.

Thanks for the offer to send photos. I would love to see them. Seems like most people don't post interior shots and even fewer post wood work shots. I really enjoy looking at detailed photos of other Durants.

Thanks
Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

SHAUN
Whatever you do -do not get rid of the old wood till you have the new piece made--If nothing else it will make a good pattern to make the new piece. The guy I bought my car from threw out the rotted wood so I had a bad time tryimg to remanufacture mine.No matter how bad it looks it will be some help if only in one small area of it.
I have a 30 614 rumble seat coupe. Working hard to get it running this winter.

Lots of luck
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant - model614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Norm,
Sorry about that, your correct. It 's the rear passenger door post.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Shaun:
Get some styrofoam blocks and fabricate the post out of them. They are easy to work with (use electric knife) and cheap or free. You can buy them at the florst shop or glue insulation together. After you are satisfied then you can make the final one out of wood.
Jan

Do You own a car built by Durant? star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club