Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where is the 49th Parallel?

The TV show Millionaire just asked what border the 49th parallel formed between what two countries?

60% percent of the audience said North and South Korea only 29% percent said the US an Canada.
Smaller percentages (4 and 7% percent) picked some other countries, like Iraq and Iran!

The lady contestant then picked N. and S. Korea...

Oh yes she and the audience got it totally wrong! Very sad, an apology to all my Canadian brothers and sisters.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Re: Where is the 49th Parallel?

It is a sad thing but too many people do not know much about the country they live in or the ajoining country . This is one advantage of doing a lot of travelling.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant - model614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

it was the division between n. and s. korea....many u.s. army men died fighting to maintain it.

JOKING ASIDE....IN MY 66 YEARS, I NEVER HEARD OF THE 49TH PARALLEL REFERRED TO AS CANADIAN U.S. DIVISION...WHEN DID THIS START??? HUMOROUSLY SERIOUS QUESTION HERE??

Ken, Gary, and All,
And yet another advantage of being in the Durant Motors club....What borders?

We are all members in it together worldwide!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Gary its been called that for years. We even have a Saturday Xword puzzle with clues north of the 49th.

http://www.gregorturk.com/49thparallelproject.htm
as one site on it

For 1,270 miles (2,043 km.) a section of the U.S./Canadian border is formed by the 49th parallel. A 20-foot (6 meter) wide clear-cut (or "vista") demarcates the line along with 912 survey markers. As the world's longest straight international boundary, this section of the border runs from the Lake of the Woods (Minnesota/Manitoba) to the waters of the Pacific (Washington/British Columbia).

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I guess the only reason I would know that the 49th parallel separates Canada and the US is because it has something to do with Oregon (where I live). The northern border that the US wanted was 54/40. There was a battle cry of 54 40 or fight! (Great Britain). That is up near the southern border of Alaska. Eventually settling on the 49th parallel. Incidentally the 45th parallel runs thru Oregon a little south of Portland.That is half way between the equator and the north pole. So much for today's history and geography lesson!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Hi all: I have been away from the computer for a few months due to surgery so now I am just catching up on some past entries...I couldn't resist making a coment on this one.
Go to "google" and put in "Pig War". The 49th Parallel split got a little mixed up when it got to the San Juan Islands. The only casualty was of course a farmers pig.

Ken: Your are in BC so do you know of one place in Washington that we (coming from Washington) can only get to (by car) by entering Canada first?

Gary

Where Are You From? www.devauxregistry.com

Yes Gary--
Point Roberts Wash. You have to drive into Van to get there .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War#The_pig

Wonder if the pig ended up on someones table. It was already stuffed with potatoes.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club