Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Titllotson carburator

Did anyone in the club or on tyhe forum purchase that Tillotson JR5A carb that was on eBay - for the 22A continental engine?
The auction ended Christmas eve and I wasn't paying attention or I would have bought it. It went cheap even if for parts. I have my original and some parts ones but that one looked pretty complete. I have one of the new Zeniths on the car and it is wonderful - I can't make it run bad. But I'd like to have a working original.
Wayne

Re: Titllotson carburator

Hi Wayne ... yes I noted the carb and that it was a jobber ,hense the R. Too bad Ebay changed who was bidding so you don't know the bidder even once its over.

I wondered if it might have been a fellow in AACA who put it on Ebay. Don't know his name other than Larry and his e addy is yirgaman@netzero.net The discussion is under Forums » AACA GENERAL DISCUSSION » What is it? » Tillotson JR5 carburetor. Maybe he still has it and you could send an email to see. (Morral, Ohio USA)

Both Gord's 6-70 and my 6-14 have J4A's on our cars and Tims former 6-33 has a J6A. Gord tells me the 6-85 Frontenac is a J7A. I haven't seen any of these come up.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I am a member I was bidding on carbs. I lost track of time. I was interested in carb with no ID.It appears to be same as on my 26.If anyone finds winner please let him know I'm still interested.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923csedan

Norm,
For the 1929 Durant, My reference lists the following Carburetors from the Tillotson Mfg. Co., Toledo, Ohio:
Model 40; Engine W5, Tillotson R6A
Model 60; Eng; 14L, Till: R4A
Model 66; Eng; 15l; Till: R4A
Model 70; Eng; 20E; Till: R4A

Listings for 1927 Rugby and Star 1922-28 as Tillotson Carbs but NO model numbers.

The book stops at 1929 so No listing for 1930 models or beyond.

Reference:(Specification Book for US Cars 1920-1929, G. Marshall Naul 1978, Motorbooks International,ISBN: 0-87938-046-2)

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Hi Larry

My mistake or rather error by omission in not giving full thoughts. Yes pre 30 uses R as 1st letter and I have no idea what a jobber or after market would be for those. RR-6A ?

I've been working with the carb man to correct and update his site for our cars. I've mainly focused on Durant and Frontenac. You will note he has no Frontenac's or Canadian Durant's. Rest of the Durant line was scrambled with 619 made 1929 as example. Believe me its a lot better looking now but still missing 611, 617, 618 US 31 / Can 32, 633, 614 31 / 32 Can.

Now I mentioned AACA forum and this is how I got into Wayne's J5A carb. Larry ? wanted to know what a JR5A fit. Jon the carb man explained JR5A versus J5A. J5A is orig equipment and the R indicates a jobber / after market for any car. Its like Tim Orr told me he had a JR2A if I needed it for Dorothy, he had no idea what it fits. I have no idea either but the R means its a jobber.

Ok ok I'm not keeping it a secret. http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/ then look under Passenger Kits and from there our cars. I'll short form it for D's http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/PkitD.htm#PDURANT Actually after htm# change it to PSTAR and up that will come. It lists the Tillotson numbers you are missing. Didn't say it was right as I don't know. He's been at this since 1967 amassing all this info for cars 1890's to ?

Gord Curl has Leaside books that mention our J4A, J6A and J7A.

Norm

Great info Norm!

I added three links to that site, one for Durant, Star and Frontenac. For now they are located on the Links Page under new and used parts.

Rick

Hey Norm
I show the J2A & J2B Tillotson fits the Devaux's.

I'll send you my fees ha ha ,parts for Dorothy.

I didn't check under DeVaux or Dort or Locomobile etc. but he lists the cars.

Jon has Fontenac's not just ours, however, some turn of the century Fronty car. I have given him our models etc in the Forum.

So "we" (royal we) used J2A/B, J4A, J5A/B, J6A ,J7A

Maybe we need an "R" stamped on the new ID plates. ha
Wayne

Again, my apologies Lance for calling you Larry. Not thinking very clearly lately with my wife in hospital since Dec 23 for twisted stomach ?? ,tubes everywhere and immediate surgery that hasn't happened. Now might be sometime next week. Can write a short book on our hospitals, lack of intelligence and mistakes made so far with my wife with this problem, never mind her other op in Sept we could write pages on. Our medical is in bad shape coast to coast as I hear from others. Now I might have to check myself into one with passing blood etc. I've been putting it off the last 5 days not to put more stress on my wife.

I hate doc's and have seen or heard too many oops ,so haven't been to one for years. One caused my wife's kidney failure and on dialysis over that because of prescribing the wrong pills. Cozar .. can and will cause kidney failure the bottle says. When I 1st took my in for dialysis I heard the nurses saying round the room saying "another Cozar" patient. She now has 75 % use of her kidneys. Same doc almost killed another person we knew. She dropped all her patients without warning and went into palliative care then vanished. My bro is on pain pills for life and can't look upwards, because an op didn't work right on his upper spine for spurs. I rushed my wife to a hospital near our RV park in Sept to be told they didn't have doc's on call on Sundays. You can only be ill on Mon to Sat ?? So had to backtrack and go to Ottawa where they admitted her for surgery, after we sat for 11 hrs.

Sorry guys just venting frustration. I think I'm all wound up like a gramaphone spring which is causing my problems.

Norm,
No problems on the Name thing. My sincerest concerns go out to you and to your wife. May you both get better over the next few weeks.

To you and your Family, and all the other Durant club members and their families:

Have a truly HAPPY New Year in 2009!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Norm, I'm hope things come together for you real soon.

Wayne, I purchased the JR5A Tillotson, I also purchased the Tim Orr Durant 633. I do not have either in my possession yet. I purchased the carb because I'm hoping it is close to the J6A on the 633.

The carb could become available if someone can use it and I can not. Bob Smith

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, Durant A-22, B-22, 633

Hi guys ... went to see the GP 1st thing today. There's a nasty bug going round that gives you heart burn like crazy ,nauseous feeling and diarrhea. Turns out the doc's receptionist and family have it badly. My eldest son had it two weeks before Xmas and his wife a few days before. Neither told me and I expect that's where I picked it up, if thats the problem. Doc has me on Zantec to see. Neat as prescription $55 not covered now under plans or by prov govm't, and off the floor its $37 with taxes. Wonder which way I went ???

Ah ha Bob .... was it that Larry fellow ? If not perhaps Wayne has a chance at another. I wonder what the difference is with all these various J carbs that all can be replaced by one W8A, inc the Stromburg U2 ? The W8A was used 1930 and 31 on some 614's. J's seem to apply to 22A non Durant Motors products mainly, with exception of the 619.

Norm: My sympathies and concern for you and your wife trying to get thru your medical system. I hope and pray that somehow you can benefit and get what you need. I hear anonymous stories of the woes but now it's personal to a member. And you seem so together talking with us Durantonians. I cannot imagine. Move south?

Bob: if that carb doesn't fit anything, you know which way you can throw it.

Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 model 619

Its getting siller and siller .Talked to my wife this morning and finally met the surgeon .Maybe upper GI tests Mon / Tues and maybe surgery the next week and maybe solid food the week after. Hell its going to cost me big time out of pocket and will be Fall at this rate ..

Hi gang .. just got this from Jon regarding his source of info and why Canadian cars are missed.

Happy new year, Norm

Just to clear up a few things, the Branham books were published for the USA market only, and therefore would miss Canadian only models.

Branhams sent questionaires each year to all known manufacturers of cars and trucks in the USA. What Branham reported in their books are the information directly from the car/truck manufacturers.

Our listing is primarily US vehicles, or vehicles made in the USA for export. As we find reliable information on other makes, we enter it into our computer database, but will probably not publish this data to the internet. The Frontenac fits into this category. Have fudged this for the Dominion produced Durants, as Durant started life as a US make.

Thanks again for all of your information.

Jon

HELLO I OWN 2 DEVAUXS MY 31 HAS A JR2A AN I PURCHASED A COMPLETE 32 POWERPLANT TO HAVE AN EXTRA FOR MY 32 AN IT HAS A J2A,FOR THE DEVAUX IM NOT SURE WHICH IS RIGHT

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 SEVAUXS 1 31 SPORTS COUPE AN A 32 XOUPE

Dave .. the R means its an after market carb. J-2A would be the orig.

From Jon's listing on DeVaux.

1931 6 75 Tillotson J-2B
1931 6 75 (Export) Tillotson J-2BF
1931 6 75 (Export) Tillotson J-2AF
1931 6 75 Tillotson J-2A

From the AACA Forum on the subject from the carb king.

There were two separate "J" series Tillotson carburetors.

(A) J number series which were orig equipment for Durant and some other applications.

(B) JR number series which were strictly A/M, no OE applications.
The JR (the "R" meant "replacement") is shown in the Tillotson book as having replacement applications only. The JR5A was used for eg on the 29 - 31 Chev. The JR5A was supplied with a carb base adapter when used as a replacement in this application.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club