Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wood spoked wheels

I am finally finding time to work on the Star again. I should have the brake linkage back together soon. Working the front axel and king pins. I am about to tackle my wheels and am looking for help. The wood seems sound, but I need to take them apart to clean them up and paint the wheels. I remember seeing a post about an article in the Durant Partner, but that was before I was a member and I do not have that issue, can someone help me get a copy of the article. And any suggestions for this task would be appreciated. Some of the questions I have do these wheels run true or is there a wobble problem. I think the wood was originally painted but would like to leave a natural finish, how did they come from the factory, what type of finish is recommended. Thanks.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Re: wood spoked wheels

Eliot
I believe that the article was written by either Dave Schulte or Jan Arnett and was a good way to remove, clean and replace the wooden spokes. It was several years ago. The wood was usually finished in the color of the body and then pin striped, but many who restore the cars leave them in natural wood. I know I'm going to leave them natural and finish them with several coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. I did a wooden dash for a Triumph TR6 several years ago with this and it held up fantastic to our hot Florida sun.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

was in september 2005 volume7 issue3

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupster

Eliot,I sent a copy of article to your email.

well I tried three times to send the article keep getting it back. I tried sorry.

Hey Mike .. glad you said usually as my 1930 6-14 Leaside sales book shows natural wood with pinstrip on the Special Sedan.

Imagine it took from the 1960's to 2006 before I knew my old sedan was Special Sedan. We had nothing back then or anywhere to ask about our cars. That's why it had fender lights over the Standard and a few other trinkets. Until I got that sales booklet off Ebay I never knew. And yes it had unpainted spokes and still does but sadly falling apart with its owner.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

My 25 Star came with the wooden wheels painted the body color. I've been told but can't confirm that the rims were cad plated. Most of us would not be able to tell the difference between cad and silver paint.

On my 50 Mercury, I've been using "Rust-oleum Silver Metallic Brilliant Metal Finish 7271" on parts I couldn't disassemble for plating and you can't see the difference.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

My mistake Mike, correct email is eliot.smith@comcast.net Thanks

that was it you have mail. Happy new year

Thanks Mike, that is what i was looking for. Will get started on them .

Eliot:
I have some additional photos that were taken when I wrote the article that I could send you or feel free to call me this weekend, 859-441-9677
Jan

Do You own a car built by Durant? star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club