Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
motor mounts

Hello again all,

I am in need of motor mounts for my 23 Star C Touring with a W-4 engine.

They are more like pads or cushions than actual mounts.

Thanks,

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

Re: motor mounts

Tony,
Lets see a pic of your current mounts. W4's never used any rubber type mounts, only solid, direct bolted mounts.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Here are some pictures of current motor mounts/pads.

They are kinda like some sort of asbestos cloth or similar.

all 4 motor mounts

rear mount closeup

side view motor mount

I guess I could try and find some hard rubber of the same thickness and give that a try.

Was just wondering what others have used on their W-4's?

Thanks
Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring

Tony
Contact Mac Irvine in Guelph, Ontario, Canada he has a motor mount for a W5 engine that might work. I'll send you a private email with his number an address.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike, I have been in touch with Mac Irvine and the w-5 motor mounts he has will not work.

Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

Tony
Any rubber shop will make pads to suit you . check your area to see if there is one available
KEN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant - model614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Tony,
This was just someones idea to "improve" on the W4 front engine mounts. It would have no appreciable advantage and would only create a vibration point and cause a vertical misalignment of the clutch and transmission shafts. (This alignment is very important). This would cause unwanted angular movement and rapid wear of the clamshell coupling.
Your front and rear engine mounts must be firmly bolted in place. Additionally, any wear on the frame at the point of attachment should be welded up and ground flat and true.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Tony,
This looks like someone cut out these rubber "isolators" from the sides of an old tire casing, to improve things. Common practice in the old days (Right; Norm?).

I agree with Don and would go back to the stock configuration. I would also check your Trans mounts for such "isolators", remove them and and return those mounts back to stock like Don says also. The Trans/Clutch allignment is critical.

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

I also agree with Don. I have a 23 Star Touring completely original and it is bolted directly to the frame. Bill

Back to stock it is. I am trying to keep everything as original as I possibly can which is the reason I ask so many questions

Thanks so much everyone for the input!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring

My 25 Star has the W4 engine bolted to the frame without any mounts or other insulation. As I get close to 35 mph, my fillings start to shake out!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Vince,
What "fillings" problem that was a factory speed warning device!

Seriously the 1925/26 Locomobile JR-8 use the same arrangement and bolt directly to the frame in four places also. This is with the factory Straight 8 OHV engine. A common practice at the time, way before "triangle" mounting or Rubber motor mounts.

And yes, two out of 4 frames I have checked already, have cracked (actually one broken off) frame mounts. This is Part of the Old car fun, people forget about!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance ... how did I get dragged into this ? I assumed just looking at the bits they were home made. Looked like a piece of the asbestos webbing thing under Dorothy's rad shell between frame and shell cross member. At that she has a steel wedge drivers side as well.

Didn't most cars have motor bolted to frame back in those days like the Ford T from day one. Can't help you as I don't know when rubber motor mounts came on the scene.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm,
You're so right about Henry Ford and his "T" & "A".

He was very critical about Engine "Internal Balancing" of the roating assembly of his 4 Cyl engines to Cancel-Out vibrations.

Some references I have read said his engines were balanced (from the factory) down to only a few Grams!
Hence very little vibration on the early FORD 4 Cyl engines!

This is still true today...Balance your Engine internally, also including the Flywheel & Clutch assembly, as close to Zero as possible when rebuilding. A few Grams spinning at Thousands of RPMs translate to many Pounds (Kilos)of out-of-balance weight.

Lance C.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club