Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Little hand for a Rugby owner in Brazil !

Dear ones,

You can't just imagine my happiness when I came to this website and discovered I could have a family, a Durant family!
I am a classic pianista and teacher and recently acquired a very very beautiful RUGBY car, which the guy said to be a 1927 RUGBY. I would like to submit a pic of it so that you could give me informations about, even if the year is correct. I will leave my email, then you can write me for me to send the picture of my RUGBY.
I am so excited to discover this family. Hope you have room for me !

Big hug from sunny Brazil and a blessed 2009 !
Fraternally yours,

Dib Franciss
dibfranciss@hotmail.com
Mobile 55 61 9981-1562
Home 55 61 3273-5249

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a RUGBY

Re: Little hand for a Rugby owner in Brazil !

Welcome to the Durant family.

Hello and welcome to the world of Durant and Rugby motorcars,

You will find a lot of friendly and helpful people here on the forum, please fee free to visit often.

Rick Botti

Dib
Welcome to the best club in the world . Many people will be here to help you with any problems you may have. Just ask anything and someone will know the answer. Probably not me but I do know a very little .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant - model614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

WELCOME FELLOW TEACHER....YOU ARE IN A GOOD PLACE. JOIN THIS CLUB AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW MANY "DURANT-STAR-FLINT-FRONTENAC- DEVAUX AND RUGBY" EDUCATED PEOPLE WE HAVE....ALL ARE ADVICE GIVERS AND YOU WILL GET MANY SUGGESTIONS FOR FIXES WHEN YOU ASK...JUST PROVIDE AS DETAILED A QUESTION AS POSSIBLE AND PICTURES WHERE YOU CAN...AGAIN, WELCOME TO A GREAT CLUB. WE GO BACK TO 1960'S ORIGINS.
REGARDS, GARY K

Welcome and make sure you join the club. Not only does it provide this great web site, but also a top notch professional quarterly magazine with all sorts of interesting articles. You might be the first Brazilian in the club. I know we have some from Argentina but I don't recall any from Brazil. You join the list of countries that Durant products reached out and touched. This club is a world wide club for sure. Welcome aboard.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Hi dear new friends!
Thank you for this warm welcome. I am so happy that less than 3 minutes after this post I received a friendly email sent from the President Rick Botti with some lovely ads of Rugby and Star cars.
I will be here very often. Thank you all and may the New Year brings much excitement and new dreams to our lives.
Big hug from Brazil,

Dib Franciss
55 61 9981-1562
55 61 3273-5249

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, a RUGBY

Allow me to share some pics of my Rugby.
You can imagine how overjoyed I am !
1927 Rugby

1927 Rugby

1927 Rugby

1927 Rugby

1927 Rugby

WOW That is a fine looking car I can see why you are so proud to show her off.welcome to the club

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupster

What a beautiful car! Rick needs to add this one to the picture area for sure.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Dib,
You have acquired a Very Beautiful Car,,,I really like the Color scheme!

That Light Blue with Almond interior is really set off by the Black fenders and lower pannels. The Whitewall Tires over the natural wood wheels with the White top, and Chrome trim add just the right touch of interest.

Absoutely stunning, it would be very much at home here in Florida, USA!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

A beautiful car in any country! I see you have one of Durant's desendants in the background of one of your pictures (the Chev pickup). Welcome!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

What a beautiful car! Welcome to the club!

Dib's "New" Rugby is a beauty and pictures will be posted soon. I'm currently making room in the website.

Hi Dib,
Absolutly stunning!
Be proud to be the caretaker of such a beautiful and important piece of history.
Enjoy the ride.
Don

Where Are You From? RacingRust.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Soon to be, Star Dirt Track Racer

beautiful. Do you have any more pictures?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 star

Hi Jan,
Thank you for your kindness and thank to all other Durant friends who brought your word of excitement here in this webforum for my RUGBY.
I am counting the days to receive the car. It is still in the city I bought it. Those pics were taken by a dear friend who was coincidently spending Xmas season in the same city. As soon as I receive the car I will take more pics then to post here.
Thank to Rick Botti. I will be looking forward to have those pics added to the Photograph section.
Thank you again, Jan !

Dib Franciss.

PS Which is this model? Is it really a 1927 RUGBY? I remember I read anywhere that during 1927 Durant closed its doors...so this is why I got so confused...

Hello Dib,
Great looking car.
I notice you have two wheel brakes which would make it a model M 1926 -1927 I think. It looks like my 1926 Star.
Franz Fraitzl

Dear friends,

Does anybody have a pic showing the hand brake lever in detail of a 1926-1927?
The guy from whom I bought the car just told me it is missing the hand brake...the first headaches appearing.
Do you think I could buy and install one from Ford Model T? Which could be an interchangeable option?

Thank you in advance,

Dib Franciss

PS Thank you so much, Franz Fraitzl for clearing my doubt about the model of my Rugby.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 Rugby

Dear friends,

I forgot to tell you that my RUGBY had its original engine, but the former owner installed a modern 4hp engine of a Chevrolet Opala, and the voltage has been transformed to 12 volts.
He told me he will ship together with the car its original engine + transmission and assured that it is good condition (the engine) and can be reassembled in the car again, if I wish.

Well, I confess I don't have plans to change at least for the next year. I have recently spent a big amount of money to do a complete "show" restoration of my Ford Model A Phaeton. After buying this lovely 1927 RUGBY, which was a dream since the day I saw it, I confess my wallet went totally empty! And I still have to buy parts for it.

I really need help and the rich experience of my Durant friends in this lovely forum: Let me ask you something:

About the brakes:

Is it possible to adapt a 4 wheel brake in this car? Or any other system which would improve it?
The guy told me he has adapted a hydraulic brake, but only in 2 wheels. Do you think it is enough?
I am concerned because in city we have steep grades...so I really want to improve the brakes. Imagine if I need to stop in the middle of a steep grade...? What to do not to descend ??

Well, I am so excited and curious to hear you clever and expert Durant friends. You are driving your cars for years, so you may have the exact response to my concerns, I can bet all my coins...

Thank you all in advance,

Dib Franciss
55 61 9981-1562

sorry, the engine is a 4 cylinder.. not 4 hp.

That is a beautiful car. I hope mine looks that good when I am finished with it. You can be very proud to be the owner. I have been with the Durant Club for just 14 months. I have met just a few of the members and exchanged e-mails with a few more. They are extremely friendly and helpful people, always willing to give answers and advice when needed.
Dave Jansen

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63 Deluxe

Hydralic brakes shouldn't make much of difference over mechanical. The advantage of hydralic is that the braking is automatically even at each wheel wheras you have to adjust the mechanical ones for this. With only rear brakes, you aren't likely to see much difference.

I live on a steep hill and my 25 Star has factory-installed front brakes. Balancing them is a bit of an art but they work fine. If I were you, I'd use the forum to find someone who has a spare set plus the linkage that will fit your car. It would be a bolt-on installation.

As for the parking brake, my car is in winter storage. If you don't get any pictures, e-mail me in June and I'll take some for you.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Welome Dib,

Your car is an inspiration for those of us that have a ways to go.

Thaks for sharing!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-70, Deluxe Sedan

My 25 Star looks a lot like your Rugby. I sent three photos of the parking brake you asked about to your e-mail. Let me know if you get them.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

i have learned that the complete front axle from a 1948-1954 chevy 1/2 ton pickup will bolt directly to a 1929 durant front leaf spring set up..it is hydraulic brakes...using 1954 master cylinder or a dual master from a similar later drum brake truck should be better. it depends on the space between the spring center bolts on the rugby if it will fit....

Hi dear friends,
Thank you so much for all infos. Thank you very much, Vince for providing info and photos of the parking brake. I will send the pics to the guy by email. Hope he will be able to solve this problem.
Thank you so much Gary, for the precious information about the front brakes. Is this change something already tested? Does it work well? If you say "yes, it is" I will change mine.
A big hug to all ! Thank you for every brotherly information and each word of wisdom from you :)

Dib Franciss

Now THANK YOU, President Rick Botti!

I just received a precious "gift"! I just got an envelope with an issue of the DURANT PARTNER, a warm welcome letter signed and a lovely CD with many versions of the song "I Want to Drive a Durant" + songs from the 1920's. I really appreciated it.
The CD unfortunately seems to freeze from the 10th track and simply doesn't play the next tracks.

I am so very happy to be in this family !

Warm hugs to all,

Dib Franciss

the brake swap is from an old hot rod magazine by a trustworthy writer. i am putting it on my 1929 model 70...make sure the brake cyl and master cyls are all 1" bore ...or from same truck unit...all drum brakes.hot rod builder companies offer disc brake kits for 1950-54 chevy pickup axles, also...i am going with no power drum brakes but using a later dual master cyl from a late 1955-60 truck.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club