Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel Tank Replacement

I'm at a point where I need to start looking for new fuel tanks for our '27 Star Coupe projects.
Anybody know of any sources for reproduction tanks for our cars?? I have a couple of fairly decent but otherwise shot examples to be used for dimensions and fittings.

Thanks in advance

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement

If your old gas tank is damaged, rusted or beyond repair, here is a source that can make a replacement in stainless steel including new mounting straps:

Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts, Ltd.
Route 72 & Rothwell Road
Box 352
Stillman Valley, Illinois 61084
Phone: 815-645-2271 in Illinois
800-344-1934 toll free
815-645-2740 Fax

This company has patterns for many tanks including Durant cars. If they do not have the pattern for your car, you can send them your old tank and they will make a duplicate.

I had my tank rebuilt at a sheet metal shop here--the guy quoted me 350.00 plus or minus. I figured okay sounds good . When I went to pick it up the bill was 1200.00. I was a bit perturbed to say the least .After telling him what I thought of his business he finaly came down to 672.00 Still a lot for a steel tank (not stainless either). Get a written estimate and cover your butt . maybe that way you get a fair price.
I must say that he did a great job though.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Yikes! I've made this mistake myself. Another one of those lessons with a high tution.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club