Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
replacement distributor

Many of you have read my post regarding my distributor and housing. I am grateful for all the responses.

Arthur Roberts was kind enough to send me a distributor, housing and gears off a 400,000 serial numbered W-4 engine. My engine serial number is in the 100,000's. My 23 Star C is origially a manual advance distributor. The distributor off the 400,000 serial numbered engine is a centrifugal advance. Auto-lite 1GB4010A 7H.

The housing fits perfectly and the distributor gears are identical and line up perfectly on the generator shaft.

Before I go to the expense of cap, points, rotor I am curious as to anyone's opinion that this distributor should work.

Any previous experience replacing a manual with a centrifigal advance distributor?

Also, anyone had any experience with willysdistributors.com. Since I need to replace the points, rotor and cap anyway (provided it can be agreed upon that it will work), having him remanufacture this distributor for 150 bucks would seem like a bargin.

Thanks
Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring

Re: replacement distributor

Tony,

Jack Malpass went through the same dilema that you are going through using a later centrifical Autolite, as I recall he had problems trying to find a matching cap and rotor...Search this forum using the key word "centrifical" then Author Jack Malpass...Give Jack an email I think he can be of help.

Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Re: replacement distributor

Hello Tony,
tried to email you but it keeps coming back undelivered!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club