Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Distributor Support Housing

A few years ago I ordered a Distributor support housing from Australia. He sent me Two. I was surprised. One, the standard pot metal , the other aluminum. Aftet- market I assume. Both in nice condition. The aluminum unit is a little thicker in the area where the three machine screws hold it to the end of the generator, calling for slightly longer screws. I wonder if anyone thought of making more of these. Maybe too costly. I would be glad to offer this one as a pattern. I also have a fan support bracket made of brass. There's a lot of strange things out in Durant Land. Fritz Kuenzel

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Distributor Support Housing

Hello Fritz,
I just finished making the first batch in aluminum.
Franz

Franz- That is good news. One thing I noticed on mine. It has a grease fitting near the bottom facing outward. Probably overkill since the originals didn't need it to lube the two gears. I suppose they get enough oil that comes down from the place to oil at the base of the distributor. Interesting though.
Fritz

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The housing on my Model 40 also has the grease fitting but the housing on my Star, Model R has no grease fitting. Is the only way to lube the gears to pull the distributor and put grease down into the housing??

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1929 Durant 40 and 1927 Star R cabriolet

To lube the gears there are two ways.
The distributor has little oiler plugs that will be used to oil the
shaft and as the oil runs down the shaft it will eventually get to
the gears. And of course the other way is to pull the distributor
and ad some grease that sticks to the gears.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club