Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dome light

What kind of wiring connection goes in the feed end of the dome light ?? I am sure I can put a single contact bulb in but looking at the switch it looks like maybe the wire contacts would have to be an offset type ? Any one have a picture of the wires going into the light ?? Or can anyone explain to me how the thing connects and works?
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Dome light

You again .. same light bulb as the Parking ,Tonneau, and Instrument Board. 3 candle power single filament, single contact bulbs. Number 63's. Side arms opposite each other so they fit the socket either way inserted. Got 5 of those from Minikers. He has all our bulbs NOS.
Ground return wire to roof metal body, from the dome light. Main wire comes from the light switch on the dash. Stupid me I got 5 bulbs instead of six. I wanted one spare. Two for dash, two for fender lights, one for dome (I forgot) and spare ... duhh. Hopefully one in the dash is still ok.

Not quite understanding the owners manual as it indicates dome switch part of the dome light. My switch is on the door post passenger side. Perhaps the coup has the switch as part of the dome light.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Ken As far as I know coupes did not come with dome lights, except maybe on Canadian cars with those cold DARK winters. Ross

Well I have a dome light and figure I may as well use it. It is a bit strange tho since the toggle switch-which is on the side of the light - seems to move the contacts in an arc. Thats why I asked about a picture if the connection that goes into the light.

Norm--
I have enough bulbs -and can get more as needed from Napa . No switch on the doorpost--just on the dome light fixture itself.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hey Ken .... That post switch might be our Dominion cars, as I seem to recall my old 30 614 sedan has exactly as you mention and is indicated in the manual. That's what threw me at 1st knowing Dot's is on the post (and rusted shut .. sigh). Once you described the arcing it hit me about my old 30. No pic's unfortunately of its innards. It only shows its wired to the roof edge. They have a sort of cut out showing the nail holing of the top roof edge and ground wire to that. Guess its soldered there ???

Yes I would imagine NAPA has the bulbs. I just mentioned Randy's as I know he has cases of bulbs and a good many cases have CTC showing on the sides. I assume his father or gfather, bought up old disused stock from stores which would account for bulbs, rings, pistons, gaskets etc etc etc he has. I know CTC here didn't have 6 volt bulbs needed for our cars and when going to Randy's I saw loads of them, so picked up what I would need. I would think TSC would also have them. Have enough problems getting 6 volt screw in bulbs for our Golden Falcon trailor. Most new trailors now use 120 inside lighting. Home Depot carrys mine thankfully for now, lot cheaper than RV parts outlets. Wonder if those will be discontinued to the new energy things that cast poorer light.

No reason coups shouldn't have dome lights to read maps or such at night. Mind you our southern boys think we have 6 months darkness and 6 months sun and snow all year with penguins everywhere. Only extreme north has that and I hear even that is melting with global warming and penguins are south pole. I seem to think coups have dome lights for any make of car as standard equipment. A former chum's 30 Ford coup has a dome light

Mac's has dome lights with and without the switch 28 - 36 for Fords and of course the #63 bulb.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club