Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lubrication

Hi again all you good people
I am almost ready to put my wiring harness in and then the big test,,(will it run) I am just wondering what kind of oil would be best to put in this baby.Also what in tranny and rear end. I have a lubrication chart to show where to grease it but havent looked at it for a while. Once I know it will work I will get a few modern improvements made for it . Like shocks, Fan bearings ,etc. Going to keep Franz busy for a while. How about it guys . Detergent oil or non --What weight oil for tranny and rear end - Thanks for the help.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: lubrication

Moose grease

Been a few Forums on oils, 10 W 30 and drain it after running for a bit the 1st time round. I just used Walmart 10 W 30 reg stuff and we let Dorothy run a short while and drained that out. Then filled her up again with clean oil which she still has.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Yeah the oil can of worms. Everybody has an opinion. What I have heard is don't use detergent oil in an old engine, because it will start cleaning deposits off the engine internals and plug everything up. I was told to use a non-detergent oil for break-in on a rebuild, then go to 30W. I use 50W Valvoline racing oil to try and get better oil pressure(I could just put duct tape over my oil pressure gauge) I'd use the 600W in the trans and diff. ross

Was thinking back to older times (or is that younger times ? ). In the 60 / 70's we used 10 W 30, every new car used, in my 30 614 and 31 Chevy, both motors rebuilt. My chum in his 31 614 and its still running fine. All the old car guys used the same off the shelf oils. Some might increase it to 40 then 50 if ones rings were wearing out to cut the mosquito fogging as you drove along, grin. Can't recall any of the vintage car owners having engine trouble caused by using regular old 10 W 30.

As Ross said its been hashed about for a very long time should you or shouldn't you. Thoughts were old engines might give problems with bearings / babbit using detergent oils.

Okay--I am going to show my ignorance here--How do you tell a degergent or non detergent oil ??--I dont know the difference. I use 10W30 in all my vehicles and change it regularly. Never had any failures in the engines yet amd believe me I have driven a lot of miles. I have changed lately to a deisel type oil for my trucks since I started driving deisels. I always figured an oil was an oil. If it makes things slide then thats good . What is a good brand name I should use here.
Thanks

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken,

I've found non detergent oil in 30 and 40 weights, I think Kendall oil is the only brand I've found with a 40. All non detergent oil will be marked either with the words non detergent or the letters ND close to the rated weight, all other oil is referred to as detergent.

The term detergent refers to the additive package that includes things that reduce oil oxidation, high temperature engine deposits, anti friction agents, reduce sheer, anti foaming additives, rust and corrosion, etc. I agree with Norm, whatever oil you use the first time you run your engine, drain it after a while and replace with fresh oil. It's been my practice to use that first oil as a cleansing agent, once it's done it's job drain and refill with the stuff you plan to use for a while.

After reading Jan Arnett's article in the Fall issue of the Durant Partner, I switched to Valvoline racing oil because it contains the highest levels of zinc, something that reduces friction but has been removed from most oils because it clogs modern catalytic converters. But whatever you use today, is better than what they had eighty years ago.

Rick

Ken Open the bottle and if it smells like Tide then? In reality you'll have to look far and wide to find non-detergent oil. Use the Valvoline Racing if you can, it costs more but how many times are you gonna(Sarah Palin) be changin your oil in this high mileage collector car? I always think you should use the best of everything in these old cars, as they get the most abuse.Seldom used and on short trips--very hard on any vehicle. Roscoe

Rick .. zinc isn't only used mechanically but for baby rashes and skin disorders. Hence the reducing friction. Wide use for a lot of things like galvanizing steel. I use panatine on my ankle for a rash as it has the highest zinc content. More useless info.

In Canada, good 'ole Canadian Tire has 30W non-detergent on the shelf for $2.15 a litre (small quart) "Vive la difference"

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Hello everyone go and ask for W30 compressor oil if you cannot find non detergent oil.
Compressor oil all it is is non detergent oil!

Do you have access to PENRITE Brand Oils. Check out at http://www.penrite.com.au. Penrite Oil Company Pty. Ltd. 88 Lewis Road, Wantirna south; Victoria, Australia 3152. They have oils expressly formulated for Veteran, Vintage and Classic vehicles. ie: Classic Engine oils:- Polar, Light, Medium and Heavy for Classics; Shelsley Engine Oils:- Polar, light, medium and heavy for Vintage; Heritage Engine oils:- LTM and MTH for Veteran. Also running in oil, Transoil 90, 140 and 250, Mild EP Gear Oil, Gear Box Oil 30 & 40 etc. etc. I have switched to Shelsley Light following several disasters with other propriety brands with detergents. engine running smoothly and uses less than before.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D66

The Durant Motors Automobile Club