Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint color schemes for 1928 Durant (Star) M-2

Is there any information out there on what color schemes the 1928 M-2 was available in? My present car is all black but was painted over a green body with black fenders and black upper (windows and moulding)area. In 1970, I had the remains of an M-2 that had a tan (cream? yellow?) body with black fenders and moulding accents.

Are there color charts available or does anyone know the paint schemes that were available. I have not been able to locate any sales literature/owner's manual for the M-2. Thanks for any help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Four Door

Re: Paint color schemes for 1928 Durant (Star) M-2

Here's a copy of a paint chart that I received a couple of years ago from a member down in Argentina. Click on the image to get a bigger view of it.

1928 Durant Paint Colors

If you can't see it, then let me know and I will send it to you directly via mail.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Oh by the way if you go to this web site and call these guys you can get them to mix the paint right from the charts for our cars.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

Thanks, Mike. That really helps! I wonder where that cream/tan color came from on the M-2 in 1970? The M-2 Durant for 1928 seems pretty somber!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Four Door

Maybe the color was the Desert Tan or Arabian Tan that shows up in the chart, or maybe someone tried to come close to the color when they repainted it.

This was just at the time when colors were being developed. They weren't too permanent. Over time, they seem to have darkened.
Some of the ads in old magazines may have retained the colors better than the actual car.
These days, the car companies use many of the same colors each year with different names. [The paint companies don't need to mix so many versions. This may have been true back then also.]
My 29 Four was originally a dark blue with black trim, but the owner had taken upon himself to paint it a Kelvinator tan with a Hersey brown fenders and trim. I wouldn't do that now.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club