Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil filter connectios

I am trying to hook up my oil filter and am not real sure where the lines should run from and to .
I have a fitting in the lower rear of the block behind the starter -another about mid way behind the water pump and another on top of the head towards the back. I think the one behind the starter goes to the bottom of the filter and the one behind the water pimp goes to the top . the one on the head I have a plug in now . How am I doing >>??? HELLLLLP
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: oil filter connectios

Ken The oil filter line fittings are from that fitting by the starter, thru the filter, to a "T" fitting on the front of the filter, the line going up goes to the dash gauge, the line going down goes back to that fitting by the H2O pump. The fitting you have plugged is probably for a round head machine screw that secures the metal strap that holds the oil filter in place, with a corresponding boss on the block that holds the oil filter strap below. The strap is 1 inch wide with 90 degree bends at each end. Held on by round head machine screws and lock washers. As you can see the strap has to be just the right length for your particular oil filter to hold it tight against the block when the screws are snugged down. The oil line to the dash gauge goes up from the oil filter, across the top of the filter with a little clearance to the firewall, where it goes up the firewall secured by one metal 'half' clip, makes a smooth bend towards the front of the car,then back through a rubber grommetted hole to the gauge. That 'loop' I described in the line, was to prevent the line going into a sharp 90 degree as it dives through the firewall, probably to allow for some vibration from the engine. Ross

Ross
Thanks man --Good thing we have guys like you in the club . I had forgottem about the T fitting and the oil guage--Now I cam safely hook this thing up .
Thats my job for tomorrow . This baby is gonna get built yet .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

I should add-- I have built the strap and it fits great . Also the plug on the top of the head is not for the strap --that is on the side and I am using it . Dont know what the plugged hole is for but I will find out some day . It is on the top of the head about 2/3 of the way back .
Ken

Oh goodness Ken ... one bolt at at time. You sure will get to know every part of your car. Could have sent you pics of the engine from the owners manual or sales brocheur for the 1930 614. No different any of the 30 - 32 D / F's.

Where in earth did you scare up a canister oil filter. Those don't exist anywhere anymore. Were used to 50's cars and CTC had them in the 60 / 70's of course. (darn I just checked my saved items and my list of canisters / makers has been deleted ,talked too soon, I ran off a copy thankfully)

That plug you talk about on the head wouldn't be where the Heat Element should be ? That's electric for 1930's and two piece, head and dash gauge. The 31 / 32 is one piece mercury (?) and someone cut mine at the gauge, so I need one.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Ken Oh that plug on the head! Yeah I've only ever seen them with a square headed plug in them. Goes into #5 cylinder. Why don,t you put an exhaust whistle in there? Announce your arrival! Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Hi All.....

Look at the picture of my 614 motor that Norm posted in the "Throttle Stop" thread.

If you look close at the top of the head, and blow away some of the dust. You will see the temperature sender on the top of the head. It is electrical, between # 5 & 6 cylinder. Also scarcer than those lens that Norm is after. Same one used on 1929 Chevy.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Ok here's another pic right out of the 1930 614's owner manual. There's the canister filter no one sells and the Heat Element. You can also see the T fitting where the line would go to the oil gauge.

Ken to save you looking go to a plumbing shop and ask for packing they keep aside for those older style taps and water pumps that still require the stuff. Wish I had used my little gray cells instead of wandering all round the countyside asking for water pump packing at Napa and tractor shops, and getting a blank look back. TSC used to carry it on the shelves and the clerk went to the shelf and was surprided himself it wasn't there. Probably could have ordered it in and they can get our ignition etc parts as well. Might even be able to get tubes as older tractors have 19 inch tires. Haven't followed up on that.

Photobucket

Couldn't the oil filter be cut and modified to take a modern filter inside. I know there is some small filters made now for the ATV's etc. I saw on the AACA forum someone had cut a Hupmobile filter and worked with it to fit a modern day filter when needed.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

I mentioned to Ken in an email I would post this for us all re canisters.

InterChange / Vendor:

AC P21 (obsolete)
FRAM PB1/2-P (obsolete)
MOPAR MPR 1/2 (obsolete)
Hastings HD1/2 (obsolete)
Walker SU 1/2 (obsolete)
WIX WF 1/2 (obsolete)
NAPA 1035 (obsolete)
WIX 51035 (obsolete)
MOPAR L-93 (obsolete)
CarQuest 85035 (same as WIX 51035) (obsolete)

Roberts Motor Parts (on-line catalogue and rusty junk, ask Lance) Yep T45 filters still there at $45 each 1930 - 59. Don't waste your money with this fellow and his junk.

Chrysler 1123152 (housing for replacable filter elements. Fits on bracket for 861028 and 32271 sealed canister type filters)

Norm
My filter does not show up on your list . It is a hastings LF 136. I am looking into getting a canister type that will bolt on the block as this one does .Will be checking with napa tomorrow . I know they have canister types because I did get one for my 48 pontiac ,but it bolts on to the fender well with a bracket. And also--the plug in the head towards the rear of the engine is almost at the back of the head .I thought it was farther up but I have a temp sender unit up there . Dont know if it is a stock one or if it woeks but its there . Slowly but surely I will get this thing together--Just like the turtle .
Ken

Hi Ken.
Sorry about not keeping up on all our club forum reading. Been pretty busy with Bob Krause's 27 Star wagon and a 26 Star touring I'm restoring.
Please give me your home mailing address and I will send you a proper new oil filter for your 30's Durant car. $35.00 was my cost and it's yours for $35.00. They just are not available from anywhere as we scoured the whole world for everyone one we could find even Alaska.
BTW the small square headed plug in your head is right over piston number #5 and was used for final timing in the factory with a persimmon mechanist small timing rod to tell them what position the piston was in. I would not mess with it.
Faithfully Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

No such filter as LF 136 on Hastings online site. Another obsolete one.

There you go, Lance as an original type throw away, plus solving the plug question.

Have fun at NAPA site online. Noted it said last updated Dec 23 2008. We ain't got there yet. Anal retentitive site and once you put in the vehicle you are looking for it wouldn't let me go to search another year or car. Kept telling me it has 4 ignition parts for a 614. Interesting it lists 1932 621 and 622 but no parts and of course no Canadian D / F's, but we know they are the same parts. Had to close the site and re sign on for NAPA to move to 1948 Pontiac filter.. Well no such filter either, bet they were canister and under the obsolete umbrella. It looks like its better you visit a NAPA store and let them do the "walking through the pages" to find something for you. Have fun online if you want to play with it. As I mentioned in my email NAPA guys uncovered a filter that fit Dot's Krailinator.

Interesting TSC stores don't have an online catalogue,but does say they have Auto parts ignition / electrical, oil filters ,tractor tires etc. I did send them an email in Smiths Falls a year or so back asking about ignition / rad cap for the Durant etc. Said just tell them the info and they get them in. Think it was Gord to put me on to them as another source of parts. They are gradually creeping across Ont with new stores.

Now ... next part you want info on ?? Think I should send Dorothy out there to get back on the road and "not" as parts for your rust box. Turtle ?? you mean Tortoise. Now I understand why you are having difficulty, entirely different animals. Turtle's are quick and Tortoise is slow or laggard.

Lance
I have the filter that I bought from you when I stopped to see you a few years back . It is the disposable hastings LF 136 . I al going to see if napa might have a canister type that I can connect to put a smaller type filter into .
I will use this one if I have to but it is a bit pricy to be replacing very often.
Thanks for the offer.
Ken

Hi All..

A few years ago I talked to a fellow at Hershey that was making a repo filter canister for Packards. It looked original on the outside but unscrewed and had a modern spin on filter inside.

Check out this link and you will see one. They are a little pricey, but probably not for a Packard !!

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Enjoy......Frank ---

Ok The link I posted doesn't work.

Do a search for Max Merritt Packard Packard Parts, then search oil filter.

Frank

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

worked for me Frank or wipe out after 2nd 123 (/yb etc ) and up she comes. Only $575 plus bracket at $50 then filter at $15. You have to be a Packard owner to afford that little pile of parts or live in Hookstown PA on McCleary Rd ....

Ok guys what is this ?? Can get them $18.50 each or $15 each if buying 6 or more Canadian.

Chryco Oil filter #861 028 which is a canister filter
with 1/8" pipe thread in the top and bottom.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club