Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1930 Durant Fender color?

All,
For all 1930 Durant cars, is Black the correct fender color? My project sedan's fenders have no paint to go by right now, so not sure.

I know Black was the correct fender color for like year Chevrolets, and I think Ford Model A's but I'm not sure on Durants?

Could you get them painted Body color as an option, I have seen this but don't know if it is correct? Thanks.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Re: 1930 Durant Fender color?

Lance,

It has been my understanding that while a customer could have a Durant product painted any dolor combination they desired, black was the default color for the lower portion of the car. This was practical as fenders were painted with a more durable enamel while the upper portion of the car was a high luster lacquer.

Lance The sedan and coupe models were all black fenders. The open cars were available in more colors, but I've also heard that for a small fee you could get whatever color you wanted ($20.00?), on any car. This is according to a Durant history that Jeff Gillis was writing before his untimely death a few years ago.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Not that it helps but my 1930 614 sales brocheur shows all models with black fenders and skirts. Bodies /stripes various colours. Did you get a paint listing from Dave Schulte recently for 1930 - 31 D's and then 31 - 32 additional combinations used on models 610, 612, 614, 617 and 619 ?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Lance
Rick was right, my research has all our cars with black fenders, splash aprons etc. Wooden wheels were usually painted body color with pinstriping. Body colors in at least the 28's on would have a bit more stylish paint job with a body color and contrasting color for the area around the windows etc. But like it was said I'm sure to sell a car in those hard times with all the competition the dealers would just about do anything to the car for you prior to delivery to make the sale.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike, I wonder if its owners choice the colours on a few cars. Charlie Spitz's 619 with blue fenders, Ray Walkers 32 Fronty with brown fenders, Wayne Farrand's 619 also brown fenders and this 32 618 in Ont. I kind of like this combination for Dot blue everything and yellowish wheels. The paint sheets Dave sent seem to indicate 31 - 32 total Ostend Blue, with no stripe, and cream wheels as one combination. I realize the sheets are US cars and don't include ours. (can't find Ostend blue online to see colour) Ditz-lac is there and under Essex colours site which contained a virus that AVG quarantined, thank goodness.

6-18 Durant

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

According to info I have from a Ditzler book, Black was the predominate color for the fenders. Here are some exceptions. 1930

Alhambra Tan Deep roof and fenders with Alhambra Tan body, with cream stripe.

Dallas Gray roof and fenders with Notre Dame Gray body with cream stripe.

Haverhill Brown body with Oakwood Brown moulding with a Gold stripe.

Cat's Eye Gray body with Academy Blue moulding with a Gold stripe.

Dave

I expect that in those days when fender benders and garage door scrapes were pretty common, it made it pretty convenient for the body shop to order replacement fenders already painted black. Baked on paint. Maybe sticks better from gravel blasting against the underside.

I'm not sure when the local body shops were able to do a good job with colored repaints.

As a kid, I remember a couple 27-28 faded blue Fords, but almost all the prewar cars seemed to me to have been black, but they could have been really dark blues, greens, maroons. Maybe citydwellers used flashier colors. [My Dad's 34 Fordor was a lighter grey, and a 35 REO I knew was silver.]

Around 1950, there must have been a turning point. We saw a lot of green or blue Studebakers. My one grandfather owned a RED 1950 Nash Rambler. My dad bought a baby blue REO Speedwagon. Pretty flashy.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club