Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignition switch and coil

Has anyone got a coil like we need for the 30 durant? The one with the ignition switch in the base ? I would be happy to buy one if there is one available.
Otherwise --I guess I have to go to the switch and coil separate . Whats the best bet fot me??
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Ignition switch and coil

Dorothy has a coil on the firewall under the dash and simple on off key on the dash, like a number of us have. My old 30 had it under the hood and still does. Lad I told you about that has one coil / key hasn't the key and wanted $85 for it. Old Beaupre Auto parts, the son moved all the old stock (20 / 30 / 40's)to his home and sold the building after dad died. (Nuts I don't think I checked with Randy Miniker to see if he might have one in his buildings of parts ,below Picton)

Lets see .... $85 for old coil been lying / tossed around since 30's and don't even know if it is any good, versus $20 off / on ignition switch and I think I got took at that price by Benson Auto Parts. I know I almost did with the oil return hose oil Krailinator to block. They wanted $23 for the hose I paid $7 for at Princess Auto. Switch works just fine and only you know it should be coil / key. You probably could get the ignition switch from your son in law at a fraction of the price, the rest of all have to pay.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Ken.....

I would agree with Norm. Put a modern coil behind the dash and use a "universal" ignition switch. This is a quick fix and looks factory unless someone crawls behind the dash. These cars had a coil wire that was almost 3 feet long!

I do have some original new old stock coils, but they are without the lock cylinder. Back then you would reuse your existing lock cylinder.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Ken I would agree with Norm and Frank. By a new coil made in this century and wire up a key through the dash. I attached mine to the instrument brace with a bracket I made. From a efficency standpoint, like Frank said a 3 foot long wire is not the best idea. Ideally should be a short wire right next to the distributor, but of course that would be visible in the engine compartment. I think it's important to have a good battery. Optima makes a 6-volt that is perfect for our cars that probably sit for extended periods without being driven, and no potential for acid splatter. You can also buy a container that the battery will fit in that looks like a 6 volt case.Ross(also a Battery tender device to keep the charge up-NOT a 'trickle charger')

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club