Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas Prices at Thanksgiving

Hello all... With the rise and fall of gasoline prices around the world, I was wondering how the prices here in Ohio (USA) compared with other parts of the country and world? Ours have been steadily dropping for the last couple of months and are currently at $1.55 9/10 per gallon! How about evryone else? Have a great Thankgiving... Jim G.

gas prices Nov23 2008

Re: Gas Prices at Thanksgiving

Hi Jim....

I guess it's time for a road trip to Ohio, in Western Pennsylvania we are still at $2.09.

Of course Ohio is less than 10 miles from us. So it will be well worth the trip.

Have a great Thanksgiving !!!

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Our recent trip from NE Texas to Ohio and Penn showed the gas prices around 1.85 to 2.09 with still higher prices in PA. I filled up today in Texarkana at 1.56 for regular. It would really be nice for it to hold for at least another year!!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe, 1924 Flint something

We're right around $2.00. California is always higher than the rest of the country even though we have oil in the state and north slope oil. Refinery capacity is tight because politically they can't expand and we can't import gasoline because it doesn't meet CA standards.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

HELLO....
I PAID $1.97.9 HERE IN SOUTHEASTERN PA. AND SAW $1.93 9/10...IN THE AREA

REGARDS, GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 70 coupe

Up here in the frozen north we are down to 82.9 per litre. That would be more than you guys are paying but its a lot better than it was --1.24.9 at one time. 1 gallon is 3.785 liters . pretty steep

Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Down here in the Sunshine State and Mickey Mouse town we are around $1.84 per gallon at the local stations. I will be hitting the road today to head to North Carolina and it will be great to get these cheaper prices. It appears for one holiday they have not jacked the prices up. I sure hope this keeps up for awhile. The day to day price changes drive me crazy.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

All,
The Florida panhandle Beaches are pretty cheap on gas
right now. About $1.48 to $1.50 a gallon. It's been steadily dropping for the last two weeks around here. Great news, but I don't see people running out buying big trucks or cars anymore.

My only regret on the gas prices now is that I had to do ALL my trips (picking-up the "Locomobiles")this Summer way up to New York, Canada, then on out to west Texas when I had to pay $4.27 a gallon (and equivlent to $5.25 in Canada). Tough when your driving a Gas powered loaded 1 Ton Dually and pulling a trailer & car.

Oh Well, for the Love of Old Cars! That's why we call it a Hobby. Ha Ha.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving you all.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Gas prices here in Oregon about $1.93 for regular. We all know they will go up sometime. OPEC found out they probably cannot charge $147.00 a barrel, but can get away with $100.00, so today's $50.00 will go away.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Ken thats because they have to pump the gas uphill into the mountains Presently 71 cents a liter here and was up to $1.35 not long ago. Looks like we go over or under your amounts at the pumps. Time to throw stove oil or what ever burns in the tank like they did in the dirty 30's.

Now its the exchange rate thats going nuts US / Canada. Was on par for awhile and then fell to 7? cents but I think its risen to 82. Makes it expensive with ebay items where they jack it up even worse coming here. It sure isn't the Canadian price shown on ebay.ca Also discovered ebay.com has more items than ebay.ca. I have a quiry in to them on that plus having to re sign in if you go to pay in .ca. That throws you into .com and you have to sign in like you weren't already into ebay. Annoying and bad programming. Those wire 6 1/2 hub caps I got a few days ago were not shown on ebay.ca only saw them as I went into Ebay via this site to see what was there, which is ebay.com. Not cool.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Looks like gas prices here in the southwest are trailing most of the US, about $1.99 for the cheapest her in Yuma...Have a happy Thaqnksgiving

Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Gas prices along the Jersey Shore are as low as $1.65

More surprising are the gas prices in Hawaii. In Honolulu, as low as $2.04 at Costco, but on the island of Lanai the price is $5.50 per gallon.

What ever you are paying, think about what it would cost to fill a tank on Lanai. In my case, over $200.

Happy Thanksgiving

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

i got a load of free gas tonight at thanxgiving dinner....i guess it was "thanks for giving me free gas"

UK prices are coming down as well but..... Currently around 92p a litre - which comes out at around $5.30 a US Gallon.
Something else for you to give thanks for yesterday!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star

Thanks for all the replys! It appears to me that prices in the continental states are mostly below $2.00 a gallon with the cheapest(under $1.50)being in the Florida panhandle near Lance Chabot! The next price group appears to be the mountains of that frozen land to my north where Ken McCormick reports prices at over $3.00 per gal. in Canada. Leave it to Charlie Spitz(C.S.I)to know that the cost at Lanai Hawaii is over $5.00 while Mike and the UK people are paying about the same. I still haven't heard from my friends in Norway or Austrialia yet were I'm sure the cost is even higher! Not sure about prices in South America?
SORRY GARY K... your source does not qualify until there is a survey done to determine the environmental impact!!!

You bet there is an environmental impact! Just ask his wife.

Could probably hook him to the D's carb and it would run on natural gas

Regular gas has been about 197.9 for a few days in Marin County, Calif., where everything is usually a bit higher. By the way, is there any information about typical gas mileage of our hobby cars? Any others with a Continental 6, related to a 26 Star coach -- all in superb condition? I've come to learn that it runs very well up to about 30 mph in speed - but increasing speed it tells us it isn't very happy.

Price wars in St. Louis....gas is selling for $1.40 per gallon in some places.

marcia almost passed after i passed.....gas of course...but i think that topic stinks so i will let it go....again....

Wow! It looks like I can get my Durant past my drivway and get TO the gas station at those prices!
Kn

I just filled up my truck for $1.79 a gallon at Costco. The big name expensive stations are down to $1.96 around here.

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/pics/WRM/index.html

Gary
its not the smell that hurts---its the burning in the eyes--that really gets me every time Ha Ha Ha '
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Have to remember the US gal is less than the rest of the world. One US gal is 3.785 L and Imperial 4.546 L.
Just playing around our 71 cents a liter is $2.84 a gal, or $2.36 a US gal Canadian. That's 48 cents a gal difference right off. Its still a lot more than you are paying in the US than us. What's annoying is our petroleum / tar sands is sent to the US for refining and we buy it back. Probably since Canada is one of the biggest exporters to US for gas for US consumption. Wonder if our prices would be less if refined here and sent to Canadians, with excess sent to US. Think I saw somewhere 75 % of our gas is used by US.

What is really annoying is constant gas price changing at pumps hour to hour almost, for no reason other than greed. High in the mornings to catch commuters going to work, lower after to try to catch them coming home and even lower after supper hours. Plus it could be 76 cents near by and 71 cents just out of town. Kingston was 81 cents and right on the seaway / and main 401 hwy for easy distribution of tankers, yet next town to Kingston it was 72, as were the next towns along the Seaway. 71 here and it has to be trucked up. Often cheaper to drive outside main Ottawa to lower prices of 5 or 6 cents a liter or better. Just no sense to the pricing. And the poor gas Co's claiming they only made $X billion profits that quarter. Government isn't going to say a thing with its reaping of various taxes at the pumps.

The problem is we are petroleum junkies and we gotta have it! Norm the price flucuations at your local gas stations are just reflecting what we all know-what else are you going to run your vehicle on? Gary K's gas?

Well hes full of it Natural gas .. or Ken can use the Moose to haul the 614. Oops he's got that in the freezer. Back to Bennett buggies of the 30's or solar panels on the roofs. I saw that electric cars are now a government no no for some reason. Too dangerous ?? Perhaps a big sail and lots of Garys's wind (or mine my wife will attest) plus that anchor to throw out to stop the 614's as the brakes don't.

Hi Fellows,
Gee US$1.79 per gallon for Petrol is a bargain.
Here in Bundaberg Queensland Australia our current
price is Aus $1.09per litre which equates in your gallon price to Aus$ 4.22.
So you get it good. John

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Rugby d40

I saw gas in NJ as low as $1.63 today, and diesel was $2.67.

Geez Charlie..... you must be everywhere! Our prices are now starting to rise again slowly, but I'm hopeful it is only to catch-up with the rest of the area at $1.80 per gal. I do notice one similarity though... the highest prices appear to be in the lands that are or were once part of the British Empire...Canada, Austrialia and the UK itself! Norm, Don't know much about the electric cars, but this last summer I did see several of the 3 wheel gas buggies that are now legal on our highways. Thought I was in Tokyo!!

We're still part of the British Empire and Quebec hasn't separated yet. I fly the Union Jack at our trailor all summer and not Pearson's flag of surrender as it was called when that red maple leaf thing came into being. Still a bone of contention with older people who fought under the Canadian Red Ensign in the Wars. But enough of that and ticking time bombs, flags / Quebec.

Yes don't you just love it ? They brought out diesel vehicles which they flogged as better and a lot cheaper at the pumps, but have done a turnabout and diesel is now way more expensive than gas, with diesel cars vanishing, like Durant Motors.

My cousin in England tells of their price for petrol and we should consider ourselves lucky. One can't afford our weekend jaunts like we do here and think nothing of it. They have to really think about using a vehicle there. I would expect the same in Australia.

Cool, 3 wheeled outfits. Like vintage cars nothing new now that wasn't tried before. I get a kick out of auto makers claiming the all new "...." Nope, that was used in the past on "...." There were 3 wheeled cars before and those Mr Bean fans will note the 3 wheeled van often used in skits, but there were 3 wheelers long before that. Hey the Durant was an almost 3 wheeler, ha ha. They did that stunt in Ottawa, in the 30's, of taking off one front wheel and driving it around town like that to show stability of the car. Its been documented in other places as well.

Norm,

Yes 3 wheelers are Not new. MORGAN had a real nice 3-wheeler in the 30's as others did also (based on Motorcycle engines with 2 wheels in front astride the engine). Very good gas mileage but comfort & weather protection was somewhat missing. Still pretty neat and very valuable today.

On our Cheap gas prices we were the Cheapest only for a short while! Right after I posted last week prices jumped to about $1.66 a gal (from $1.50)for Thanksgiving Day. Go figure!!

Yesterday in Florida on the state web site prices ranged from a Low side of $1.54 to 1.63 and a High side of $2.19 down to $1.99. The highest prices ($2.00 Avg.)is on our East coast all down towards Miami area at the highest. Locally now $1.58 to 1.63 on the military bases (indexed to local prices). But on the beaches it is up to $1.74 in places.

Still the Warm weather, SUNSHINE and Beaches are free. Come down for a Visit!! But it Pays to shop around for gas!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Billy Durant was ahead of his time with his desire to start building the Mathis. A small French car with better mpg. But the depression sure did him in. Could you imagine Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey running a bowling alley and dying practically penniless?

Thanks Lance .. I have no problem with gas and I don't mean at the pumps Must be old'er age and keeping store aisles free of people. An acquaintance of ours turns to his son when he backfires in a store and makes comment he shouldn't do that. Of course the son gets all the stares and mutterings of the customers and he gets off scott free.

Yes Morgans but wasn't it long before that the French steam thing 1700's ?? with one front wheel. A wee bit before my time, me thinks. More Gary's.

Hey you still measuring that header since Nov 4th ??

Hey guys.... with all of this 3 wheeler talk, I searched through my old 1924 sales brochures and found a picture of one of Billy's 3 wheeler. Notice all the extra information written on the car. The rear fender reads "4 coats baked enamel on fenders-exclusive Flint feature". This kinda ties-in with Rick's answer about more durable fender paints under the "'30 Durant Fender colors". If you want to know how they accomplished this stunt with the Star and Durants... check out "3 wheel stunt" listed under factory correspondence on the club tech pages!
Flint 3 Wheel Stunt

I just got back from the dentist. This was my third and final visit to do one root canal. Today they installed a crown that they made on site, I've got a high tech dentist that's for sure.

Anyway, while I was in the chair under the drill without novacane I needed to think of something else, so I thought of this tread. I remembered reading somewhere that the cost of gas in the USA in 1929 was 20 to 25 cents a gallon and that seemed high. So when I got back home I found an online inflation calculator to check it out.

We'll here it is, at 20 cents a gallon, the price of gasoline when adjusted for inflation comes out to $2.53 and at 25 cents a gallon it adjusts to $3.57!

Here is one calculator, but you can Google others.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Rick

Where Are You From? data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

1929 Gas Prices.

Here is a street scene from an unknown city. The movie theater is showing "The Sin Sister starring Nancy Carrol" that dates the picture to 1929. You'll also notice the Willys Knight, Nash and Studebaker dealerships. Most mostly I noticed the gas price of 16 cents a gallon, in today's money that would come to about $2.03 USD a gallon when adjusted for inflation only.

Rick

Great picture Rick! It's amazing how many things we now notice from old pictures. Here's one for Ya! Back in '73 when we had our first big "Gas episode", my sister sent this family picture into the local newspaper. It's a picture of my Grandfather's service station with him and Dad standing next to their 1927 Big Six Studabaker. I notice the '31 license plate, 18 & 21 cent gas prices and the alcohol sign on the building. I was told the building use to an old Blacksmith shop!
1931 Greenamyer Garage

Still going down for some reason. 64 cents a litre yesterday. Sure like giving a $20 instead of $40 to top up the van.

Norm,
Still real cheap here too on the Florida Gulf Coast at $1.48 a Gallon!

BTW it does get Real cold here..SNOW in New Orleans yesterday and Snow just North of me in Alabama too. Temps locally in the low to mid-30's F last night with highs here only about 52 F on the coast, 40's inland...Burrrrr, Our Winter has arrived early this year.

Take care, Lance C.

So you are saying I might have to put a shirt on to visit you at that balmy 52 F. Probably imported the snow from Ottawa. Yep we got hit two days ago and city is digging its way out. Even I have to put a coat on at 15 - 20 F. Add to that a bus strike now in its 2nd day. Sure glad I'm retired and don't have battle the snow and bus problems. My youngest son's a bus driver and Tues night he called us at 7:30 pm asking if I had snow pants he could borrow to stand out in the cold with the strikers. I do. He was supposed to pick up his bus at 4 pm to switch with that driver and at 7:30 it stil hadn't shown up thanks to the snow, plus they closed a bridge to Hull. That screwed up more traffic.
However by Monday its supposed to be 44 F and rain. Screwy weather again we are having.

Gas was 1.399 Saturday, this morning it was at 1.349, at Smith's Food and Drug in Utah, with a $100 grocery purchase you get another $.15 off. So gas could be had for 119.9 today

The Durant Motors Automobile Club