Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for an original front bumper

As some of you know, I own a partly dismanled 1928 (titled 1929) D75 Sedan with the 6 wire wheels. I have been on a hunt for the correct year factory front bumper and mounting hardware for sometime now and haven't found one. If anyone has the correct bumper or knows of anyone with leads to one, I would be interested to hear from you. My e-mail is: sblomquist@arl.army.mil
Thanks in advance

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Looking for an original front bumper

Does it look like the one in the pictures half a page down? The bumper shown is a little fancy for a humble 4 door. But I'm not sure you'd be so bad off if you used a plain bumper on your car.

The model 75 was the top of the line for 28, so they would not have scrimped on what they put on. Contact Larry Fogarazzo to see if he has a picture of his bumper. He has a model 75 and he also has many parts available. Of course you can always also contact the Frank Witkowski and see what he has around.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

I was hinting that the one on the car that's for sale in the pictures below looks like it may be the one he's looking for. The four cylinder four door would have plain bumpers, so maybe he can make a trade with the owner.

I am still on the hunt for the period correct 1928 Durant D75 sedan front bumper. It is the one, instead of the straight horizontal parallel bars, it has the flowing curves and the "D" emblem between the bars, at the center of the bumper. The bars also have two grooves each that run the length of them. Any help or leads to finding one would be greatly appreciated.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Think you are looking for the bumper I showed here. Search under Brennan and up it will come.

Re: Parts Needed by Norm Toone 14 Sep 30, 2008 11:54am

Good luck in trying to get a reply. There are two sedans here.

Terrys site shows pics of the bumpers as well. Now to find a left rear 614 half bumper similar, to the 619 for Dot. Ours are open ends at bolt, 619 closed.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Norm:

The bumper that is under "Brennan" will work but I don't believe it is exactly, what I think the factory one looks like. I have the Durant ad showing the correct bumper for the 1928 D75 which also looks like the photos on this site of Larry F's. D75 and Mike L's. D65. At this point, I will consider all the possibilities available. Can you give more definitive information to access Terry's site that you mention in your post?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Sorry for delayed reply, forum didn't send me a notify to my inbox for some reason.

Ah, I see now the two bumpers you mention in photos is not what is shown in Terrys site under models 63, 65, 70 and 75. When you said the flowing curves and the grooves in the bars I automatically assumed they were like the Breenan cars. When I saw the pics of Breenan's car I tried to figure out if they were 63, 65, 70 or 75. Still have no idea.The bumpers shown in Terrys site seem to match Breenan's where the top bar is curved and bottom is straight used on deluxe cars 63, 65 and 70 but standard on the 75. Both Larry's and Mikes bumpers are reversed with curve on the bottom, not indicated on Terrys. Interesting and more differences, where we can say no two cars the same.

Terrys site is the Durant Registry ... http://www.durantcars.com/basics/history.shtml
and then under Catalogs, then the models.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club