Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Purring like a kitten but oh no a question about oil

Thanks to all for your help.

Got the old girl running this last weekend!

The only leak problem I had was the valve cover gaskets, which I will make up and replace this weekend.

Now a question about oil. I cleaned out the oil pan and ran her for about 15 minutes at idle with non detergent 30w oil and then drained and refilled again with the same non detergent oil.

Last night as I was removing the valve covers to make and replace the gaskets I noticed how dirty everything around the valves were. A coating of dirty waxy film covers just about everything just as I found inside my oil pan.

My question is this... should I run an engine cleaner like the gunk products available or even kerosene as is mentioned in the service manual? Or do I risk removing gunk from the wrong places by doing so?

I understand using non detergent oil instead of a high detergent or even synthetic but should I try and clean the inside of the engine?

Oil conversations can bring out a lot of different opinions and I don't mean to start a huge debate but would be interested in some opinions from others whom may have been through the same quandry I now face.

The engine was supposedly rebuilt in the 60's and very few miles on it since.

Thanks again for all your help from everyone.

Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

Re: Purring like a kitten but oh no a question about oil

Tony,
Switch to a good detergent 30 weight oil and run your engine as normal. This will set up a "Slow" cleaning process. Your motor will then be just fine.

If your engine had not been rebuilt in the 60's I would not recommend this. Since the "sludge" build up in an old eng is loosened and it will plug your internal bearing (and other) oiling holes causing very bad things to happen internally because the parts are not getting any oil. The fix for that is a complete tare-down, cleaning and a return to stock clearances with machining and new parts.

Hope this helps you, been there, done that!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club