Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cleaning of gas tank

I've been getting a lot of opinions on how to clean out my gas tank. I pulled the tank and there does not seem to be a lot of rust, but there is a lot of gunk and goo in the bottom. The laquered gas I guess. What have my fellow Durant restorers used to clean the tank out? I've gotten opinions from cutting the tank, having it blasted then welded back, having it boiled at a radiator shop or using muratic acid to clean the tank. Then for a sealer some swear by the Bill Hisch tank sealer which supposedly is OK with the alcohol in the fuels nowadays to the Eastwood sealing product and Por15 product. I really do not want to go the torch route and have my good tank cut up, so is there a cleaner you have used to dissolve the gunk?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Cleaning of gas tank

Well my solution was much simpler. Coffee can full of 3/4 crushed rock... drop in tank then roll and shake repeatedly. Dump out gravel, add new stuff repeat about 10 times and you will find your tank is shiny clean on the inside.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Re: Cleaning of gas tank

Hi Mike....

If all you have is jelled gas gunk in the tank, a gallon of acetone from the hardware store will desolve it.

Then you will see what you have as far as rust is concerned. Muratic acid will do the job on most rust. Then apply a good sealer. I have done this with several of my tanks. It is a lot simpler and worth a try.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club