Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
carb linkage

Hi All
Does anyone have a linkage and the rod from the foot feed to the carb for my car?? I need one badly. I would like to be able to start the beast up this winter but without this I cant .I am getting it together quite nicely so maybe I will drive it one day before they take my license away due to old age.
If one is available could you send me a price and include the shipping cost to Kamloops B C Canada
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: carb linkage

Seems like maybe no one has a spare control arm for the carb . Maybe some one would be kind enough to send me the accelerator linkage off their car to make a copy of . I have a machinist friend that would make a new one for me if I had something to copy .I can gaurantee that the linkage would be returned to the sender if I can borrow it for a short time. I am willing to put a good deposit down as insurance.
How about it Norm Toone ? Will you take a chance on me? My carb is a stromberg U 2. Maybe I could even make a spare one to have for the next poor guy that has none.
Ken
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken.....

I'll gladly loan you the one from my 614 if that will help you get yours going. It will be a long time before I can get to that project car, there are about 20 ahead of it!

Norm sent you the pictures of my car, just let me know what all you need and I will get it sent off to you.

Let's get yours fired up and take a ride, better get some snow tires on it for this time of year !!

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank
I need the linkage (fits on the pin on the carb and the throttle cable fits on it) . Also need the rod from the foot feed lever to the carb linkage.
Any of the rods( small ones )that open the valves for increased speed. The carb I got came from Harvey Frid. He had rebuilt it and couldnt use it on his car.
Its a stromberg U2.
I sure appreciate this Frank. I will get a spare set made for the next poor guy. Do you need a set made?
Many thanks
Ken

Ken Hold on on making these parts as I'm sure I have spares. You need the throttle rod (the rod from the throttle linkage on the carb back to the gas pedal shaft, and the 'Y' shaped linkage that fits on the carb butterfly and the throttle rod and the on dash throttle cable)? Let me know. It sounds like you started with a car about like mine. When I got my coupe it didn't have a front or rear bumper. incorrect headlights, a Chev master 6 motor and trans, wrong driveshaft pinion housing, rumble seat cut out to make a pickup box, tin nailed to the roof thru the sheet metal, etc etc. Should have junked it!Must be stupid or like a challenge! Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

I was just about to ask you exactly you are looking for, Ken. Anyone know if the Y linkage on a U1 fits the U2 shaft ? or Tillotson SP26A fits a U2 ? We might have a U1 in the Valley that has that Y linkage still on it.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner I was bidding on those wheel caps used on the 30's and thought you might have. grin.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Ya Ross, you were stupid in love with the car and could only see it like we all do. Looks entirely different though our eyes, than the general public who only see a pile of junk and we are out of our minds to keep it.

Its like the 1st time I got my 1930 614 special sedan in 1962. To most people it was just an old car that should have been sent to the scrap yard, as it sat by the gas station. To me it was the most beautiful car I ever saw and we drove her home two days later. I didn't want to get back into this again but once I sat behind Dorothy's wheel, I was instantly transported back to my late teens / early twentys once again. Hard to put into words. Reality set in once we unloaded her and I wondered what I had just done. Still feels right when I sit behind the wheel and look out the windshield ,though.

Okay guys
What I need is the throttle linkage and the rod from the food feed to the linkage. I have the throttle cable As Norm says --I need the Y shaped piece that clamps to the shaft from the butterfly valve. And the piece that the cable fastens to.
Give me a price and we will see if we can deal
Please include shipping price to Kamloops B C .
Thanks a bunch.
Ken

Whoa the throttle cable fastens to the exhaust manifold where that double clamp is we both need. Throttle cable has the throttle stop only under its portion of the Y shaped linkage. You said your son -in - law (?) works for the Co that has that throttle stop you need.
The choke cable has the fastening at carb and exhaust manifold.

Norm--
You are too picky--I mean I need the piece of the linkage the throttle cable fits THROUGH . and the upper piece that the sheath clamps to --It has to clamp to a piece so the wire inside the sheath will slide to open and close the throttle. I know the cables both clamp to the manifold --I have that already made from 2 clamps that I had on hand. Drilled the old bolt out and rethreaded the hole myself. If you look you will see that the choke also fits in a clamp very close to the end so the wire will slide in the sheath
Ken

Norm
I had another look myself---guess the throttle does not clamp to a piece like the choke does--. Seems to be a long way from the manifold clamp to the throttle stope but guess that is the way it works.
I have the throttle stop---cost me all of $2.42. Cost in the catalogue is $6.55. Nice to have contacts. I may put a piece on the carb for a clamp.
Ken

Sigh ... you've been in the bush too long mating with moose. No clamp on or near the carb for throttle cable. Manifold one does the trick and has to be flexible at the carb when you push down on the foot pedal linkage. That moving Y part does cause the wire to move back and forth as you apply gas with your foot so securing it might cause a kink in the wire or hold the throttle open. You sure wouldn't want to come down off the mountian full throttle.

You got an extra set of those mainifold clamps for Dot ?

The Durant Motors Automobile Club