Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
choke-throttle-spark control

Does anyone have a source for our Durant cables?? The choke throttle and spark cables on my car are chopped off too short and one of them is a replacement that is not the durant type. Also have one broken so would like a new set if I can get them. Working on this baby pretty seriously now so best I get the parts I need and get the thing on the road. If available I would like a price including shipping to Kamloops B C Canada
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: choke-throttle-spark control

Hi Ken`.....

Have you checked with Mike Butters? Wonder if he could cast the correct square knobs and bezels for these cables. They are used on a fair number of 1930 and up Durant models.

I do have a couple spare sets, but will need them for my cars......

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Ken Yes what Frank said about the Butters reproductions if they are from Harvey Frid's original.The only problem with what I saw of these knobs was that the letters were stamped into the tops of the knobs with not the original pattern,but they will still show C,S,T or L. Then they were held on by a set screw and not "swaged" on like the originals.Now if your wire and outer sheath are too short, I just found new universal wire and cable and silver soldered to the original. Note that the 4 inch or so shafts are 'channeled' to fit into corresponding escutheons(sic) on the dash itself, thereby preventing the knobs from turning and having the letters appear cockeyed. Important when you put everything back together. Another fun little evening project in the restoration game! Ross

Ross
Thank you kind sir
I didnt think of the universal type cable and wire.
Thats my job for tomorrow --make a search of the suppliers down town and see what I can find.
I been trying ( without success) to glue the horn rimg together --So far it refuses all my efforts but I still have a few tricks up my sleeve so maybe I will get it right next time. If not--My good buddy will turn one for me on his lathe He is a good machinist and a good guy to know. At least I have a pattern for him . He can make it out of cast aluminun --(which he has a lot of ) That should work pretty good.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken Yeah I have a good buddy that also has a pretty well equipped home machine shop. He loves any excuse to turn on his lathe and make something. Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Ken ..sounds like you have a block and are building a car around it ,one piece at a time.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club