Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas Lines

I have a question . Is it okay to use copper tubing for gas line from the tank to the pump? I have a friend that says yes but I think he is wrong . Whats the right stuff and is copper allowable ?
I will be getting the line very soon and want to be sure I am doing it right.
Another question --How is the gas gauge wire connected to the tank. Looks like a wire plug in type on the tank gauge Or am I missing more parts? I havent checked my wiring harness to see what is on that end --Maybe when I do the answer will be apparent.
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Gas Lines

Hey Ken ... The 614 tank on mine has a bolt that goes though the eyelet on the wire and is tightened with a regular screwdriver. Know that having cut the wire to drop the tank. Wasn't sure at first if the bolt would turn out with the screwdriver, but it did eventually.

Orig gas line pump to tank was steel with flared brass fittings. Ron's 30 407 has it as does mine. Dorothy's tank end fitting decided it loved the line and wouldn't let go. So I ended up with several bits of line and fitting with the line rusted in it. Gently took pliers to the tube and it freed itself. Thankfully I can reuse the flared fitting, since those seem hard to find now.

I was talking to my neighbour across the street about copper tubing 1/4 OD as I didn't understand Home Depot's various price for same sized tubing. He said just remember the airline, KLM. K is the hardest and less giving, and M is the softest and more bendable. He said M is quite sufficient for the car. The more pressure needed in the pipe the stronger it has to be. There's no pressure in our gas line as gas is sucked up by the fuel pump. M is used on home furnace humidifiers and that is under water pressure by the city. Guess he should know being a retired plumber and working with this stuff most of his life. So I went to Home Depot and bought a coil of tubing. Its in the plumbing area, with humidifier stuff near by. Once I ever find a place to fix the tank, I'll replace my line with the copper. Heck, if copper was good enough for Ford T's, is sure good enough for the D, ha ha.

Talk about having things right under your nose. I wandered and asked all over the place about water pump packing and finally hit a plumbing shop in Perth, and asked about it. (NAPA folk look at you strangely if you ask them as do farm tractor places.) Sure, have a tin full how much do you need ? Still used on older taps / pumps etc that require packing rather than rubber gaskets. Got about 3 ft of it, enough for many years. It never dawned on me to just ask my neighbour and he knew right off what I was talking about and where to get it, sigh.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I think the original was copper for the fuel line for our period cars. Some replace them with steel or stainless steel but I think that copper is more authentic.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike ... I had thought most cars had copper at least pre 30's. Perhaps with the new line Durant's 30 and later(and Frontenac's) steel lines become the norm. Or at least Leaside cars did. I think my old 31 chevy canopy express truck had steel as well. Kind of stupid where we plaster roads with salt and our cars sure show it. They still use calcium on dirt roads to cut down dust in the country side.

As far as I know the original fuel line is still on the Frontenac and it is copper.

I would use copper if I was replacing it.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Ken I've never seen an original 6-14 with a copper fuel line,but? You can buy spools of steel line at shops that sell Aeroquip parts for example. You just have to straighten it out and form it to the shape you want, put new fittings on(never had any trouble finding these-they're a standard size), then put the flares on the ends(which is also a standard size and shape). The wire to the gauge is just an eyelet as mentioned above with a lock washer and a round head machine screw. You should be able to access this by taking off the rubber float cover cap in the rear apron.(when you get everything back together) The rubber caps are available from Lynn Steele rubber products. Yeah I did what you did and had a new tank made years ago.Who wants to mess with a dented rusty, leaky tank? Making the tank should be easy enough-looks like a high school shop project,but I had to reuse my filler neck and flange for the sender. I didn't have to spend $700.00 back then! Ross

Interesting Gord. Ron's 1930 407 is steel. My old 1930 614 with Scott is steel also, as is the 32. Could have sworn Dots was copper until taking off the tank. Franks 1930 614 he got from Gary appears steel also in the pic. Unfortunately the pic of the C600 motor leaves out that part. Only 3/4 of the motor and part of the down draft carb.

Actually Ron recommends steel over copper as copper is more prone to cracking from vibration. I'm still going copper.

Yes Ross .. I kept Lance's info on Steele Rubber parts. Price is up $2. Tried to order the cap today but their address fields only have State and no Provinces. Same area used for US and Canada. Shipping / handling to Can $12.80 US. You can pay credit or cheque or just a mailed quote. Not a problem as Cindy at Steele says she can personally handle the order for me.
Flaired fittings might be ok where you are but most things in our hobby don't exist in Ottawa or even close to here. Southern Ont seems to be our closest. That's why flea markets and products abound that way. Just check out Old Autos for meetings and flea markets. 99 % down Gords way and west.

Here's Lance's info.

Now some other critical things that are available for the rare 407, 612, 614, 619 Durant cars are the strange looking crank up windshield cowl rubber molding and the two side guides as a kit for $86.20 part number 70-0016-32 from Steele Rubber Products and they also have the gas tank sending unit round rubber cover for in the back for $44.50 part number 10-0010-44. These are actually listed under Durant and a couple door guide stops that don’t fit. So don’t bother with them. I think the reason they are available is all these particular rubber parts fit on the 30 Chevy and 30 Buick so a lot more demand. The rubber gas sending unit round cover also fits on my 1929 Durant model 6-66 and on Rick’s 1929 Durant sport roadster and on the 1930 614 Durant cars. So I hope some of this info helps you out there.

I dont know how you guys find this stuff. I cant get anywhere with my search for lynn steele rubber except history and stories of his car.( and ads for rubber sex toys which I dont really want)Where do you find the parts for durant??
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Steele Rubber site

The company site address is: steelerubber.com and the toll free number is 800-425-6088.

Sure you don't want the rubber sex toys ?

http://secure.steelerubber.com/homeframes.html

Once you get into Steele site change the box 1961 to 1930 and from Buick to last one Independent American Motors. Last line of the selection. Then hit search. It lists the parts by car name, just keep moving down and up comes our beloved Durant's.

Cover, rubber, for rear apron over fuel tank, 3-1/2" diameter hollow cup to cover hole above fuel gauge sending unit. Possibly other years. 10-0010-44.....$ 46.30/ea.

My Dad was The second owner and I'm the third with 44,000 Miles I can safely say that my lines are original and made from brass.
http://www.restorationstuff.com/ for brass lines and more.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 4door M2

Richard ... its very possible with the big switch over 29 mainly wood to 30 to mostly steel, gas lines also switched copper to steel.
Remember nothing 29 fits a 30 and vice versa. Smaller car also to a 30 if side by side. Vacuum tanks to fuel pumps. Reversed motors and intake / exhaust systems. Etc etc.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club