Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas tank

HI ALL
I am going to put my gas tank on the car and wondered if there is any little tricks I should know about first. Would hate to do it and have to take it off again because of some little glitch I dont know about.Any comments??
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Gas tank

In addition
Is there any thing I can use to treat the tank with before I use it -It is new metal-(just had it built) so maybe a lining treatment? Any help is appreciated
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

You lucky devil, Ken. We talked about my tank over E and you said you had a chap who could fix yours up. You know I am still trying to find anyone who repairs, cleans, lines gas tanks in Ottawa or area ? They don't exist anymore. Are on the net in various sites as they never pulled their info once out of business. May be one lead in Gatineau Que who does them but my source hasn't called me back. And we have auto repair trade folks in both our club's, I've asked.
We used to have places that lined the tanks after cleaning, so water etc couldn't touch the metal inside them and start corroding them inside to out.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Ken.....

Any good antique Ford supplier should be able to fix you up with a gas tank sealer. Goes for @ $25 a quart, which is plenty for your tank. Eastwood also lists it in their catalog.

The only problem would be shipping. It is a hazardous material and must go by ground.

Take a road trip to Hookstown, I have plenty of it in stock.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Norm
I am not so lucky--the chap I wanted to repair my tank was too busy so he recommended a sheet metal place. --Got it rebuilt but cost me 700 bucks. Pretty steep but its too late to worry about now.
Frank--I would love another road trip but am a bit short of gas money at the moment. Paid it all out for a tank rebuild I hope one day to make another trip to see all your stuff . I am sure I would find all the material I need for my car .
Thanks for the tip . Will see if I can get to a ford place for the tank liner. Hope to try starting it this winter. vroom - vroom-
Ken

Ah .. Frank would have lots of tank sealer for those rusty Fords he has. Couldn't resist. If memory serves me right, T tanks round or oval are galvanized. I never found one rusted through in the 60 / 70's. Ford A on the other hand yes rusted out.

Unfortunately Dorothy's tank sealer would leak out I hate to say. Must have used crushed Fords to make Dot's tank with. So far I'm getting gas tanks are shipped to Montreal or Toronto for work. Finding out rads are shipped to southern Ont for recore, by the few rad Co's left in Ottawa. No place re / chromes things in Ottawa (environmentally hazardous our Govmt says) and they are shipped to Que or again southern Ont. We might be Canada's Capital but anything we need for antique cars is out of Province or Gord's way and west of there. We are orphaned with orphaned cars.

Okay guys
What is the tank sealer called?? It would be nice to have a name to find it .Just called Tank Sealer??? . I dont think so . We dont have a ford vintage car shop near by --closest one I know of is Edmonton
Ken

The product is listed at the Eastwood site is:10165 Z Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cars. The web site is: http://www.eastwoodco.com. The kit price is $49.99.

There is also a company called Moyer Fuel Tank that restores gas tanks, but I don't know how expensive they are. That site is:http://www.gas-tank.com/.

Hi Ken...

Just go to Mac's web site at:

www.macsautoparts.com

Click on the Model A catalog, and type in gas tank sealer.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Ken, your talking George Moir for T amd A parts. He's also the Canadain Coker dealer, per his ad in Old Auto's. Too bad George isn't online to email or see what he has.
He used to come to Stirling Ont for the flea market back in the 60 / 70's and I bought new 1909 fenders / splash aprons from him for my 1909 T. They arrived primed and all you had to do was drill holes for the mounting brackets off your old fenders and paint them. 4 rivets for early fender brackets and 3 for later ones in the teens / 20's.

I found that by taking my tank to an Aircraft Repair shop that they had a "sloshing compound" that was used on aircraft wing tanks. This was a few years ago, but the mechanic did my tank for me. The AVGAS also has some ethanol in it so the compound is compatible with modern gasolines. You just have to find a small airfield. Most of them have a resident mechanic.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Thanks guys
I found a product at Lordco auto supply . It is make by por 15 and called U.S.Standard Fuel Tank Sealer. sounds good in the instructions but takes about 4 days to dry after use.It seals tank with a nonporous flexible film .Chemically bonds to metal and seals pinholes and seams. 8 oz can is under 20 bucks.
I will let you know how it works later.
Ken

On the AACA forum they have had quite a bit of discussion on this subject also. The general consensus is that only way to really get one clean is to cut the tank end, then media blast it and then reseal it. Sounds a bit drastic but many have said that if you don't get all the rust out, then it will show up later in the fuel lines or filter. Bill Hirsch also sells a gas tank sealer and another possible one that many suggest is sending your gas tank to these people gastankrenu.com who clean it then seal it with an industrial grade tank sealer like the use on commercial tanks. I agree that I've read that some sealers degrade over time with the use of these new gas with alcohol.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike
This is a new tank. I just had it built at a sheet metal shop here. There is no rust or dirt in it YET Hopefully there will be none if this stuff works like it is supposed to. It says it leaves a coating inside the tank that is impervious to all sorts of liquids, Gas included and alcohol as well. Even supposed to be good for tanks with a bit of rust in them. It will seal the stuff tight so it wont get into your lines. I am only trying to keep rust from forming . Hope it works
Ken

This past summer I sealed the leaking gas tank on a project that I am restoring, for a 1917 the tank looked clean and relitave rust free, I used a sealer from Lebaron Bonney that is compatable with all fuels..On another late model Durant project, we had a fabrication shop build a new gas tank, the tank was a round 11 1/2" x about 31". The tank was made differently than I had expected, they rolled the tank from heavy (I think) 16 gauge steel, overlaped the roll one inch and MIG welded the seam, then endset the ends approx 3/4" and mig welded them in place, they also mig welded all the fittings and hardware...Before installing the tank I tested all the tank welds with 4-5 psi air pressure and soapy water, repaired a couple of small pin leaks and re-tested...I painted the tank with epoxy primer and Urithane top coat...I was reluctant to use a sealer in part because the fuel tank downspout or pickup tube could not be removed also I wasn't sure which would be worst, a little rust or the sealer...Are there any fuel additive that would help retard rust?
Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Hello Ken,
You can get the sealer at KMS in Kemloops.
They carry the eastwood brand.
Have fun
Franz

Ken,
I sealed an old rusting antique Chevy gas tank 18 years ago with the Eastwood gas-tank sealing kit and it is still holding up just fine. Good stuff.

Just read and follow the directions very closely.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

I plan to clean and coat the inside of the gas tank on my Model 40 Durant this winter. How is the gas gauge attached to the tank? I want to remove it before doing any work on the interior. At the moment, the tank is attached to the car and the tank shroud doesn't allow a good look at the gauge assembly.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1929 Durant 40 and 1927 Star R cabriolet

Mac
On my car the guage is a cork float in the tank. Easy to remove .-Just unscrew the 5 screws holding it in and lift it out. Probably have to make new gaskets for it.I had no wires on mine so did not have to disconnect wiring . Also had no gas line to the carb, Thats coming up as soon as I get it on the car .
Ken

Not sure about 28 / 29 D's. Isn't the glass gas gauge part of the tank, rather than on the dash like 30 - 33's ?

Ah parts thingy says gas gauge on dash for 64, 66, 70, 75 and 30 - 33 D's and Frontys. M2 ,40, 55, 60, 63 is part of the tank. Wonder if a cork or float arrangment for the none dash types ?

Hi All....

The mechanical gauge that is located in the gas tank has an outer rim that screws on. Very simple arrangement with a cork float.

Parts to rebuild this gauge are the same as used on early Chevies. They are available from Gary Wallace. He may also have some used parts for these available.

His contact info is listed in the new parts and service directory. Many Chevies used parts that will work on our cars. Like the riser mechanism used on the windshields. Gary rebuilds these also. Great guy to deal with.

Frank.... ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Ken ... I think I finally have solved my problem of Dots gas tank. Was given a name of a welding shop and called last week. Took the tank in today and he looked at it. He's into rods himself but said the Durant was rare so it would never get rodded. Ford A's a dime a dozen and not well made at that ,so no losss turning them into a rod. Got to love a Ford destroyer, heh heh. (just kidding, devil made me say it) Said the tank is galvanized tin with seams / crimping etc. Plus we don't know how well it is inside and he would have to cut windows in it to fix it up. Cost more to fix than make a new one.

I cringed and thought here it comes. He won't do it or I need the crown jewels to pay for it. Already had a price to rechome the shell in Que as we no longer do chroming in Ottawa and Valley because of the enviro boys, of over $1500 sight unseen and I knew it would be a lot more. Rad $2000 range to re core only in southern Ont as we don't do that either. Us pensioners aren't all rich working for private firms that pay not one cent more then the Prov says they have to and no indexation as well. Should have worked for the Govmt but my hand would have shook, on payday for doing hardly anything and more time off with sick leave and holiday's, the G employees seem to get. You earn every cent with private firms.

Ready Ken ? After mumbling it around in his head a few min and saying about using the existing fittings. Using steel not tin, it would cost me no more than $300, probably less. Won't look exactly like the orig with welded not crimped ends. I said who cares as long as it fits and does what its intended for. Only drawback is he wants the horrid smell gone of the over 40 yr gas / varnish / earth, before I bring it back. Take him a day to make the new one. Says to wash it good with soap and water to try to neutralize the smell. Not having a place to work winter time, I guess that's a spring thing.

That's my ray of sunshine today for Dorothy.

Norm

Norm
300 is a hell of a good deal--buy it . wish I had the guy here but too late now
Working in installing wiring harness now --that is a whole new ball of wax
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club