Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedometer on 23 Star - original or not?

I know I am bombarding y'all with questions. I apologize but I am still excited about my car and continue to dig into it to do what I can to keep it original and running as soon as possible.

I talked with Norm in Davenport Iowa today, very helpful gentleman and very informative. I asked about the speedometer on my 23 Star Tourning and he said that it probably did not come with a speedometer. That speedometers were not available until a later date. I am not questioning him at all. I just would like some opinions on the speedometer in my car and what I can do to replace the obviously missing gear.

It is located on the passenger side. I noticed a photo of a Star Touring on the Durant Events page and the dash shot has no speedometer.

Note the closeup of the speedometer says "Star Model".

speedometer

closeup of speedometer

speedometer bracket

speedometer location

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1923 Star

Re: Speedometer on 23 Star - original or not?

Tony you can never ask to many questions. Thats what the club is all about as for your speedo looks to be an after market setup. I would think you would have to figure out how it works to find out whats missing. good luck

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

Tony:
I can remember an uncle of mine telling about the Johns Manville speedometers. The gear you are looking for was a fibre gear and it and the attachment for the cable fit in that round hole you see to the right (looking at the picture) of the large gear. Ford had a similar arrangement that ran off the right front wheel. This is surely an interesting option (or accessory) for a 1923 Model car.
You can never ask too many questions!

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Hello Tony,
I have seen the same setup on Bert Babicks Star. His gear broke at the last anual meet in astoria. I was thinking of making a few if there is some demand for it.
Franz

Tony
The speedometer is definetly an aftermarket addition. Durant/Star did not provide this with the car originally. But it could have been added by the dealer as an option for sure.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

The Durant Motors Automobile Club