Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radiator Emblems

Hi All......

What is the correct combination for the 1928 and 1929 Durant rad emblems?

I always thought the 1929 was white background with a blue D. That is how my 1929 cars are. The one 1928 Durant that I have has a blue back ground with a white D. That is not the way it is shown on this chart that Jeff Gillis put together.

So What is the correct combination?????

Frank ---

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Re: Radiator Emblems

For 1929 the blue background with the white D is correct, at least for the model 40 and 60’s. But just like everything else, the 1928 emblems were used on 1929 models as well. I have seen at least two 1929 model 66 Durant, a one year only model with the 1928 badge. However, in the 1929 company brochures I’ve seen only the blue background with the white D.

Rick

I have a 29 Model 66 and 29 Model 63 both white with the blue D.

Dave

Frank my 1928 Model 65 from Elizabeth had the original radiator on it. It has the white background with the blue letter "D" as shown on the chart for 1928. Also I have purchased another radiator and shell of a 1928 and it also has the white background and the blue letter "D".

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

I did a quick check of my sales literature and I have brochures showing it both ways for both years. So that won't prove anything.

Dave

I guess it was like Burger King,
They had it their way and every way.

Most all the 29 cars I get in here including my 29 model 6-66 have the white "D" and I always understood that to be correct.
I actually have not see any white letter "D" emblem's on the early 1928 Durant cars. Plus Jeff Gillis color chart he made up years ago
has the blue "D" as a 28 and the white D as a 29.
Lance Haynes San Diego

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes lots of them

My 1928 M-2 Durant has a blue D on white background.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Durant

Oops another glitch ? 34 Frontenac from Dominion Motor's ???? Hum, how if closed 1933 ?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

So it appears safe to say that the Blue D came first and might have been carried over. The White D came later and did not appear on 1928 models?

My 29 M4 had the White D. I have a substitute radiator shell with the Blue D.

It seems to me that there was a trade association rule that the manufacturers had to make enough changes from year to year so that the public wouldn't be confused on the model year they were being sold.
[I don't think Ford followed this rule from 1919-1925. He didn't follow many rules anyway.]

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Norm:

The 34 Frontenac was on the drawing board in 1932 - 33. The Company closed as of the end of 33 so I don't think any were ever produced. If they were they were probably sold as 33's

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Gordon,et All,
You are correct, but as we have found it was common to assign the year on the Title in which a car was sold!

So it is conceivable that an unsold 33, sold in 1934 would carry that year as the car's date. I have seen this before.

That would explain a 34 Frontenac! After all this was the middle of the Depression and car sales wern't moving very quickly.

Just a thought,
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Another thought might be that since Jeff had everything but Continental's mentioned on the list of cars, perhaps this was the 34 Beacon, instead.

Yes Lance, there's an early 1930 Leaside 614 sedan in Nova Scotia registered as a 31 when you know its really a 30 by its T vin number, instead of B, and a 30 dash plate. Date of sale not date of production. N.S. MOT won't correct the year, he's tried.

Hi Norm.....

I know what you mean about dealing with the transportation departments. I thought only Pennsylvania was tough but seems like most are.

Cars were titled in many different ways through the years, some time using years they were sold, when they were first titled in the state (I have a 1929 Model A Ford that was titled as a 1943 ) or motor numbers.

Pennsylvania doesn't reccognize touring or roadsters, as a body style they just lump them as coupe or sedan. Thats what happened on my cars, but guess what happened when I bought a 2004 Chevy SSR? The title came back listinmg it as a roadster (which it actually is).

Oh well, that's what makes the car hobby so interesting......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Frank
What a nightmare I had switching Dorothy over to me spring 2007. Affidavits, forms, witnessing, lawyers required and on and on. And I had the 1961 ownership, signed off, plus bill of sale, not empty handed with nothing. I just said a few cuss words(no a lot of cuss word)under my breath and left it to the fall. You'd think I was trying to have the crown jewels in London Eng, transfered over to me.

Decided to try again at a different outlet. Same transfer form, with ownership and bill of sale. That will be $X. No fuss or muss. Don't recall the figure presently but it included the sales tax. We pay Fed / Prov sales tax if dealer bought but one tax if private sale. I mentioned the VIN was incorrect on the 1961 ownership form. People said to not to say anything as that would open up another can of worms with MOT. Well I did my usual and told them. She handed me a blank piece of paper and said write the info down and sign it. I did and its now correct on the records. It was I 5222 instead of J 5222. There is no I letter used in our VIN's.
I'll tell you next time I will use that outlet, not the previous one, should I need to do so in the future.

Hi Frank,

My 1929 Model 60 has the blue D with white background. It is original and came from the Fremont factory.

Phil

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

From my understanding I believe for the 28 the white background with the blue D is correct, but like we all know and love about Durants, whatever was left over would have been used for sure.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

My 29 Model 60 has what is shown on the chart done by Jeff Gillis; that is, a blue background with a white D. This is the correct emblem.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Model 60

My '29 model 60 was built in Oakland, California and has the white background with a blue D. I have come to the conclusion that the Oakland factory used what ever they had available to get the cars out the door.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1929 Durant model 60 DeLux 4 door sedan.

You got it Bruce. All factories seems to have put what ever was handy, on cars, to get them out the doors. Hense us saying "no two cars the same".
Kind of sounds like Johnny Cash's song about building a caddy one piece at a time, with parts over a few years of production. Funny we haven't uncovered a Durant with wire, disk, wooden spoke wheels plus one chromed / one painted headlight's and 4 different door handles .. right from the factory.

Hi All....

Thanks for all the input. I guess by 1929 what ever was in the bin went out the door.

Just goes to show you that there are not any 2 cars alike, and never say "that is the only way that is correct".

Just when you think you know the answer, it changes. That is the fun of these cars. There is a wealth of knowledge in the DMAC, and it is great when we all share it. Every day I learn more.

See y'all in Texarkana in Sept......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Bruce states that his car, as my 29 model 60, was built in Oakland. Thus, this shows that, even in the same factory, not all cars received the same parts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Model 60

OK Here we go! What used the emblem with the white D, blue background, and the gold or brass looking trim instead of the "normal" chrome.

Dave

Dave .... why that's used on another "normal" odd ball Durant
Conway ? on ebay sells restored D emblems and they are always polished brass, no nickel plating.

Hi All....

I have 28 and 29 emblems done in both chrome and brass. And some of the ones that Conway restores are done in chrome also.

So the mystery of what was used in 28 & 29 continues.

Does anyone have a 1928 Star that uses the oval emblem? I don't recall ever seeing one. I do have a rad shell and oval star emblem, so at least one was made. The shell is like the 28-29 Durants but with no grill bars.

See y'all in Texarkans.......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank,, the 1928 Star Coupe that is highlighted at the Texas Transportation Museum in San Antonio (www.txtransportationmuseum.org) has the oval Star emblem and the Durant style radiator shell WITH the bars. Is that an M-2 transition (pre-Durant emblem)model?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Four Door

The Durant Motors Automobile Club