Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Correct Continental Motor

Hey again,

I am having trouble finging the manufactur date of the head on my 23 Star Tournig as well as the correct motor designation. The serial number of the motor is 102527 off the brass tag. However I am being asked to designate between a w-4 and a w-5 engine. I see a W on the engine but then what looks like the number 504G. Can someone help me with this? Trying to order the correct gaskets and distributor parts etc...
Thanks,
Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1923 Star Touring

Re: Correct Continental Motor

Hello,
Look at the passenger side of the motor if you have two square covers between the cylinders on the water jacket it is a W5 engine.

Franz

I hate to disagree but I have several W5 core engines some of which have the six stud water jacket covers and some that have the expansion plugs. I also have several W4 engines with the same setups. Other than noting the info on various cast numbers on the head and block, the quickest way of determining between a W4 and W5 is:
1- W4 has the oil fill tube fitted on the right top side of the timing chain case.
2- W5 has the oil fill located on the front of the timing chain cover directly in line with the generator gear.
Of coarse if you have the head off you can measure the bore. 3 1/8 for the W4 and 3 3/8 for the W5.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Hello Don,
here is one for you.
My car has a W4 with both oilfillers the frostplugs and the casting numbers.But I also have two W5 motors according the casting # with the covers but only the filler on the front timing cover.
Franz

Well, all the various parts are interchangeable except the pistons. But it still makes you wonder if anything can be considered definite.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

I agree.
Franz

There is a picture of a W4 (4-24-23) on ebay # 110307107068 Doesn't have the timing chain cover but does show casting numbers. Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club