Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Partial list of parts needed for my new 1923 Star touring.

Well, I took delivery of my new toy, a 1923 Star Touring Model C this weekend! Was excited to take a short drive with her as she was sold to me as "running". But how the previous owner got her running was to fill the vacuum tank from the top and then add more that same way whenever she needed more gas.

I wasn't real confident with that set up so I just backed her into the garage and starting looking at what I needed to feel good driving her more than a couple miles from the house.

Here is what I found:

The two gaskets at the top of the vacuum tank need to be replaced before any vacuum is going to take place. That is actually quite lucky as the tank was 1/4 full of varnish and was not being sucked up into the fuel system.

The distributor is being held in place by a hose clamp. The original clamps had broken in two. Don't feel to good about that either. AdditionalLY the rod connecting the distributor to the water pump is not complete and they had just clamped a short piece of rubber hose to complete the rod. I guess I don't know that this is incorrect but does not seem so to me.

I also need and oil pan gasket and the two valve cover gaskets.

I can make the gaskets if need be but was hoping someone still had a set I may be able to purchase. If so, please email me.

I definatley need the distributor clamps if possible.

One last thing, at least for the moment, the speedometer cable is just hanging below the car. I can see the bracket that should hold something near a gear on the drive train, but it is missing.

The wiring is suspect to say the least. Any hope of a wiring harness? Ah, the horn does not work even when I try jumper cables direct fromt the battery.

That will do for starters

I have the carb sent off to be rebuilt and the gas tank off and drained and hope to have her drivable as soon as I can get ahold of these parts.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I am sure I will have more questions as I dig into her more.

What a great car!

Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Partial list of parts needed for my new 1923 Star touring.

Tony Ah your Durant/Star adventures are just starting. It will be a long long voyage with many a winding turn but you will reach the end someday. Most of the parts you mention can be had and a wiring harness also can be found. If you joined the club, the club membership roster has a section that Frank W put together with the help of all the members with various restoration suppliers and various parts restorers. I'm sure some will reply to your message if they have any suggestions.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Re: Partial list of parts needed for my new 1923 Star touring.

Mike, I have the membership application in front of me.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Tony,
Yes, Yes, we all know them all too well!

The terms "Running and Driving" are, as well as "Complete" and "Restored" very often misused or really s t r e c h e d! Now the real FUN begins.

Make lots of notes and take lots of pictures. Smile and enjoy the journey!...At least your car was running and moving on it's own ;<) , that's only a distant Dream for some of us. ha, ha! .

Welcome aboard.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Well, what are you waiting for? Fill the form out. In the meantime:

There are people in Hemmings who will rebuild the vacuum tank but you can easily do it yourself. Go ahead and make the gaskets for it after you've cleaned it out. These tanks work very well so don't switch to an electric pump. One thing I did with mine was to coil the vacuum line from the intake manifold. The engine vibration caused a fatigue failure at the connection to the tank. The coil absorbs a lot of this vibration.

Also, I put see-thru filters in the lines before and after the tank to make sure there was no rust going to the carb.

The distributor was made of pot metal which "rots" over time. Finding a good clamp or a new housing will be hard, Pamper the set-up you have for now. Other pot metal parts like the spark and throttle levers have been recast in bronze and are available.

Likewise, the harnesses are available. These sources are listed in our member materials.

The rubber extension to the water pump is original. A heavy duty heater hose will work fine. Frank Witowski actually has some NOS of these available as well. Franz Fraitzal rebuilds the water pumps to better than new condition. He also reproduces the horn button that some of the Stars used and upgrades the fan hub to roller bearings.

I have a 25 touring and have it running well now. Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Vince

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Hello Tony,

I am a little new at this. What motor is in your car? I have a couple of distributor bases and clamps.

Arthur

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29, Mod 70, Deluxe

Hi Tony....

As others have said...Fill out the application and send it in. It will be the best money you can spend on your car.

Join other "Durantonians" We will help you any way that we can.

Here is a picture of the NOS (New Old Stock) water pump couplings that I have....

Photobucket

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club