Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throttle stop

One of the tiny parts easily lost and hard to find is that throttle stop at the carb. Gary was going to look and see if he had one in his pile of bits and pieces until I ad hoc'd one off an old carb choke wire connection and ground off the excess. Gary had suggested drill bit stops as well for small bits as another idea.

While looking for brass flared fittings for the fuel line I happened to turn the page in the catalogue and there was the brass throttle stop. Its not in the index but a lot of things aren't. Its Acklands-Granger Co www.acklandsgranger.com Seems most of the brass items in the book are made by Fairview. The flared fittings are there , V belts also. Don't know what else the Co carries that might be of some use to us, but thought I would pass on this Co as another place for some of our parts. And yes flared brass fittings here are not easy to find for some reason, regular ones are.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: Throttle stop

Norm
My son in law works at Acklands Grainger here in Kamloops. I can get things at a discount so can save me a bit of cash I have the catalogue of parts they sell but it is a big book . Havent had time to go through it yet . What is the throttle stop called ? I will look and see if I need one or have one --
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Their catalogue is on-line as well. You can search by name or number or page thru it like a paper catalogue. The site is integrated with their stores and vice versa so you can choose how and where to get the parts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Yes Vince it says its online.

Ha ha I love it, Ken. Steve dropped off the book before summer I think and you could do weight lifting with it. They must use lead in their paper. Your 614 should also have the throttle stop and that's exactly what its called. I was searching for copper tubing 1/4 OD to use for the gas line instead of the steel line it has. All part of ahead one and back two instead doing anything on Dot. You think you are winning but .... I took the gas tank off as I mentioned before and in doing so of course the steel line at the fitting twisted and broke in a couple of places, since it was rusted in the brass fitting itself. That's page 1945 top left at $37.05 for 25 ft. Home Depot has the same tubing at $21 for 20 ft or $11 for 25 ft. That threw me until I talked to my neighbour across the road who's a retired plumber. He said to remember the airline name with copper pipe / tubing. KLM. K is the strongest under high pressure and M is general use low pressure. For Dot he said M is quite sufficient and softest of the three.

I find most prices high with Acklands in what I have seen so far.

Now look at the bottom of the page 1944 on the right. Brass Fittings, Throttle Stop. Our 30 - 33 Continental motors are reversed to the pre 30 cars which use a linkage on the stearing column for throttle. We have choke and throttle cables. The choke wire is snubbed down at the carb to allow you to open and close the butterfly. However the throttle one can't be snubbed as we also have the foot pedal for gas. The wire must be free to allow the gas pedal to do its job. So to keep the wire free but usable it has a throttle stop under the linkage to stop the wire from just being pulled out and useless. Now you say the throttle cable would just float and not work like the choke one does. Choke cable is held fast in a clamp attached to the carb allowing the wire to slide in the cable. Ah ha on the manifold is another clamp that holds both the choke and throttle cables firm. That is another item I am missing is that double clamp. Its two pieces of metal exactly the same, but reversed, with hole in the middle to hold the bolt that screws into the maniford. These pieces are bent at both ends to hold both cables in place. Look at your exhaust manifold and you should see a raised bump where the bolt originally screwed in. I had to drill out the broken bolt and retap.

Heres a pic of Franks motor he got from Gary recently. You can see the manifold clamp but the throttle wire is missing the throttle stop. Actually the throttle cable itself is missing and its just a piece of loose wire ad hoc'd with a spring under or something, but you get part of the idea.

614 motor

Hey Norm
Nice to see the picture of the manifold with the clamp for the choke and throttle cables. I have the same problem you had. -I didnt even know anything was missing till I saw the pic . Thanks for that .Now I have to drill and tap to put one in . (If I can find one) Any one have one to sell??
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614-deluxe runble seat coupe

Hi Ken .. my pleasure. I couldn't find any pic's in Durant things that show this side of the motor. They all show drivers side only. It was Gary who sent me this pic, as for the life of me, I couldn't recall what the clamp looked like. Heck its been many many years ago I had a 30 614. I knew about the throttle stop and the bump on the manifold.
I also need that two piece clamp for Dot. Presently I am using TV cable wire clamp's. One left the other right with a bolt. Think thats what you call them. Aluminum straps to hold wires to the house like house wiring sort of. I folded one over and redrilled the hole closer to the choke / throttle cable for each and then put the bolt though the pair. Again its an ad hoc thing to keep the throttle cable at least solid and usable.
You can see why that clamp and throttle stop get lost very easy. Especially the stop.

Norm

The Durant Motors Automobile Club