Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wood work

Hi everyone:

does anyone know where i can get new wooden frame peaces for a 1930 6-14 coupe?

thanks again
-Phil

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 Coupe

Re: wood work

Phillip
You will have to bite the bullet and get your wood working tools out. No one even has patterns to use. Keep the old pieces and trace them out ---then just pray that they fit right. I had to do the same with a bit of help from a member (Jack Connor) He sent dimensions which gave me a start. I had no old pieces. Good luck
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Gee Ken, sounds like Dot. I have a row of bolts across where the header should be above the windshield. Someone wired the chicken wire to those to keep part of the roof on. And the games go on.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Philip, Et All,
I will check my 30 Durant 410(?) Deluxe Sedan for a piece to (paper) Template for your windshield header.

I am rewooding this car (see Photos; Current Projects) as well as doing my Locomobiles wood framing, Floor boards, and Garnish Moldings this Winter. The Morale "Wood Working" shop on my military base has all manner of machines & tools plus a helpful shop manager. I has already helped me pick out "cheaper" White Oak for flooring and "Ige" wood for framing. We are also using a substitute for the Teak Garnish Moldings around the Locomobile windows.

My 30 Durant Sedan also has some Roof wood (under the Chicken wire), and Rear window/Body pieces which I am also Templating too. These should be real-close to correct for your 30 Durant Coupe, if you need them.

As I make Templates I will let you know.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Phil
Great to have you on board, and don't let all of us old guys, the gray hairs scare you. Everyone here is willing to help you in anyway they can and if you take your time and ask questions, lots of questions you can figure out almost everything. Most of the clubs members are not professional restorers but someone like you that bought a car they liked and then dove in. Think of the valuable lessons you'll learn, and the knowledge you'll gain over many others your age. It's a beginning of a new hobby and life for you the antique car hobby.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Lance .. 4-10 ?? Another model unknown looking at Terry's site and serial numbers in this one. Funny as I got a mail asking if I had heard of a 4-09. Do we have a complete list somewhere of all D models and when ? I noted this and Terry's site missed the 633.

Yes I was wondering about the header. It must be flat on the bottom and curved on the ends but was it tapered back to the front or flat across. Funny my top is wood, might have been wood and no wood, depending on what portion. I still have the headliner in its entirety except where mice have chewed a round hole right over the back seat. One bow end rotted off at the end over the driver so it hangs down as you get in. All my bottom wood is solid which again surprises me. The left side body under the back door about an inch wide there and across where the fender attaches is rust out but you can't mark the wood. I expected the wood to be rotten where the rust is, not solid like it was new. Back floor still has the orig carpet on it but doubt that can be cleaned and brought back.

Norm,
Whoops my bad....that was a typo for a Durant 610 or a 407 special Deluxe, sorry for any further confusion.

See club write up in Special Interest section under "New 4-07". Yes my 30 Durant Sedan is an odd-bird: special Deluxe trim (fender lights) and side-mounts (probably originally with Wire wheels), now with Wood wheels (added later?) and probable(?)4 cyl engine. To complicate things it came with no eng/trans and no data-plates but is definitely a 1930 (Body, wheelbase,Lights,Dash,Rad & Grille, etc.). It might also have had the "Reclining" front seat, since that was also missing.

Everyone weighted-in back when I got it in 06 from a Charlotte N.C. junkyard and we are still trying to figure it out? However it fits the write-ups of a "special Deluxe" which was offered with high level trim but a 4 cyl eng for economy.

Sad Update; I was going to try to trace it's history but the junkyard owner was killed while towing 2 cars in Charlotte this Spring after a car cut him off and he flipped his rig, he died later at the hospital.

Sorry for any further mix-up on the Club's web. We don't need anymore confusion on our Durant cars.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Its ok Lance, my PC can't spell either. Confusion on Durant's ??? really ? Its simple .. no two the same, with same parts.
Thank goodness for spell check in OE but of course its wrong and uses US spelling like color for colour etc. Slowly de MSNing it to the Queens English, ha ha.
Just had me wondering if there was another model. Could well be one or two we don't know about. After all Henry started with A and went through the alphabet to A again, late 27. Not all models hit the road. Guess I should put my pen down and not add 4-10 ha ha. As I said I was asked about a 4-09 a week or so back and said I hadn't heard of that one.

Interesting, I would love to learn Dots background and what happened to her. The fellow I bought her off of had it 40 years but bought her from Covils Wrecking Yard. The 1961 ownership/ plates was Covils Wrecking Yard. They are still in existance but Alan is long deceased. I have wondered if it was junked or used by them / him. All the running train is there, 1/2 the handles in and out. 5 wheel caps, with spare tire on the rear. Caps are dented and rusted but were still on her. Normally cars are stripped at yards like this. I even found an empty envelope in the back of the front seat, addressed to a Mr Marshall Wallace of Brockville from Durant - Frontenac Motors Toronto Canada. Since they stopped 1933 this must be the orig owner of the car being a 32. I took a pic of the house with garage behind, where Dot must have been kept back then. Did a cursery check of cemetery names and his name is in one outside Brockville. (helps to know what sites and where to look doing family history) Actually Covil's Yard is just near Brockville so she didn't wander far from home.
The crank hole cover was on the front floor, but the stone guard with crest is missing. The rad fins show it had a guard orig and rad shell had a copper pipe insert where crest would have been to hold the guard away from the shell. I cut that out and put an Ebay crest in the hole. I can't be sure but I think the Dominion Durant 31 / 32 cars had guards as standard equipment. Stephans 31 has it and Dots should. The only ad I have out of an Ottawa newspaper shows the guard. The pot for the right fender light and spare tire lock were also in the pocket.

I MUST SAY NORMIE DEAR...
YOU ARE ONE CESSPOOL OF KNOWLEDGE...HOW ONE PERSON KNOWS SO MUCH CRAP ABOUT DURANT MADE CARS I DO NOT KNOW....AND I STARTED IT ALL!!!!

YOU ARE OUR HERO......LUV YA,GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 1929

Why Gary, my friend, you saying you are full of s... ?? And you started it all a few years ago ?? I heard your full of it long before that.

I don't know hardly anything about D's etc except seeing Star's, Durant's, T's, McLaughlin's, Essex's, Page's and so on, all over the countryside in the early 60's. My chum and I spent many weekends scouring the back woods and dragging parts home. Not once did we come home empty. And a good many times our mode of transportation was his 1931 614 sedan. My 30 614 was replaced by the 31 Chevy canopy express truck, which became my daily driver. ****ed Durant and its no hold brakes was used seldom. Funny about that ,as Stephan mentioned if we had problems with the 31's brakes in the 60's like he does. I said yep, my chum pushed on the brake pedal, pulling back on the stearing wheel for more pressure, while I was brakeman on the emergency lever, and hoped we'd stop. Always said we should have had an anchor to toss out the window to help.

Its some of those parts that got me back into this game once again with Dorothy. Made the mistake of telling the A club president I had a few parts gathering dust for 40 years and next I knew, I was connected to Steve with the 60, Stephan with the 614 and Ron with the 407. Sure wish we had this sort of club of knowledge in the 60's, rather than looking at our cars and wondering if the part was right or wrong and why a 29 seemed another car company over a 30. Didn't look the same at all and nothing fits the other. Like night and day. Thinking back on it, we didn't have two the same then year wise, to compare. 24, 28, 29, 30, 31 D's not sure of Star yrs.

Talking about starting a club, been through that in the 60's when we broke away from VACM and formed AACO. From that all the Ford A lads felt ignored a few years later and CCA was formed for A's only. As of right now the A club is still going strong but AACO probably dies the end of this year. No one wants the jobs and turn out is few. Been many upsets in AACO over the years and lads with true antiques frowned upon and all but ignored, over the "antique" 60 - 80's scrap metal. There is now a Eastern Ontario Vintage Auto Registry for cars 1932 and prior being set up for our cars. No meets as such but a paper of sorts quarterly.

So having babbled on, when are you sending me what you said you would ???

Norm,
For us Southern "48 ers" can you spell out the acrynoms you mentioned; VACM, AACO, and CCA?

Are any of these groups or clubs worth joining for us down here with our Stars, Durants, Flints and Locomobiles?

Thanks, Lance C.

Hi Lance

VACM = Vintage Auto Club of Montreal
can't come up with their addy and may have been changed. There are mentions in search in French which seem to say the European car club broke away from VACM, like we did 1965. I know there is still a club in Montreal

CCA = Canada's Capital A's
www.canadascapitalas.com

AACO = Antique Auto Club of Ottawa.
clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/aaco

HASC = The Historical Automobile Society of Canada
www.historical-automobile-society.ca
(Gord Curl is a member of this one I believe)

EOVAR = Eastern Ontario Vintage Auto Registry.
No site as of yet as its still in its birth stage. Email Thevintagewheel@gmail.com with contacts Nepean, North Augusta, Smiths Falls, Ashton, Brockville, and Cumberland.
I get the feeling this new registry is part of a global Canada registry and hopefully all the various registries will one day be united coast to coast. I caught wind of that somewhere.

Norm

NORM, YOU SAID YOU DIDNT NEED THE CABLE STOPS...DO YOU STILL WANT THE HOSES? GIVE ME END DIAMETERS AND LENGTH AND I WILL GET THEM RIGHT OUT TO YOU...WHAT ELSE DID I FORGET????? TELL ME AND IT WILL BE DONE....GARY

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 1929

Hey Gary, my friend, how are they treating you down at the home ? I can see you in your wheelchair, tucked in with a nice cozy blanket that has Durant's Locomobile's, Dort's, DeVaux's, Frontenac's and Stars printed on the material. ..

Now that is English dry humor and dripping sarcasm.

No we got past throttle stops once you found a drawer full of them and I had already manufactured one off a carb choke wire stop. Or to be correct Steve did. Hoses we long before that. I wondered why in our mails you keep referring to the hose but then I recall about long and short term memories with the medical folk. It was so long ago its now long term memory. Both you and I suffer from short term. Going to the shops for three items but recalling one, however not to look silly to the wives, we bring home several bags of groceries and hope the other two are in there.
You we going to see if you could beat Frank to parking light lenses for 30 - 32 at Hershey for me and send the 619 sales thingy.

what's with this ? The "we" its shows in two places was "were" when I posted it.

I noted it doesn't like swear words either like when I put d a m n ed brakes it came out ****ed

norm, no luck on cowl light lenses but will get the 6-19 folder out tomorrow. your address in roster is correct...yes?....gary k

Yes Gary and in the email I sent previously Sept 27 were you asked for it. I'll resend the long string of emails as well.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club