Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
speedometer

Hi everyone:
My name is Phillip Butterfield and I just joined the DMAC.
being that this is my first restoration, and since I am probably the youngest member (18). I am very inexperienced, and have lots of questions.

my first questions pertains to my speedometer. it does not read the right speed.

I will be at a nice clip about 50 ,and it will read 20.
I've connected the cable to a cordless power drill and can only get it up to 30.
Its not binding on anything, as the dial will spin all the way around freely.

The cable connects into a 1978 ford C3 transmission.

Could it be a ratio problem?
Or something else?

Thanks for you help.
Any comment would be greatly appreciated

-Phillip Butterfield

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 Coupe

Re: speedometer

Phillip,
It's definitely a ratio problem. Every transmission ever built has its own gear drive ratio and takes into consideration the design of the speedometer, rear axle gear ratio and the size of tires.
There's not a lot you can do about your situation unless you can find an old transmission gear drive adapter. They used a variety of different size gears to compensate for variations in equipment.
See if you can find a speedometer repair shop, if one still exists in your area. They may be able to help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

You might want to contact club member Norm Miller in Davenport, Ia. He has a speedometer repair business. He might know a trick.......

Dave

I dont know a lot --but if he has tried it with a power drill and cant get it over 30 --maybe its the speedometer that is haywire. Just my opinion but it looks like that to me
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

HELLO,
AS I RECALL, LANCE HAYNES USED A FORD AUTOMATIC C-4 IN HIS CAR....SO HE MAY KNOW THE TRICK TO SPEEDO READINGS FOR FORD TRANS'S...HEY LANCE, HOW ABOUT IT?....REGARDS, GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 1929

OK Gary.
This 30 coupe is the old club member George Trollman coupe from San Jose, Ca. The 22A engine was shot so he left it out in his back yard all apart in the rain so it was shot and worn out. So I bought the car and replaced everything under it with older 6 cly Ford engine and Maverick 5 stud rear end. I had a custom speedometer cable built for the car to run off the Ford Automatic to the stock Durant speedo. Phill bought the car before I had a chance to completely finish it. Most all speedo shops have a little gear reduction unit that hooks in-line to the stock Durant speedometer Phil. I did not have time to have that speedo rebuilt so would recommend sending it to Norm to overhaul. I had San Diego Tack & speedo shop calculate and install a little gear reducer in another 30 Durant coupe that I put a 5 speed stick w/ overdrive in. Also Phil don't let black looking wood fool you if it is hard then keep it in the car.
Good luck my friend.
Lance

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes lots of them

thank you and way to go Lance...your memory for these details is admirable. hope you are as well as you can be...keep the good spirits going...regards, gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 1929

The Durant Motors Automobile Club