Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What type of tail light did thee Model 65 use?

Ok fellow Durantonions here's a question. What type of tail light did the Model 65 use? The car I bought has a newer aftermarket generic tail light from the 50's or 60's. I was told that the "bee hive" style same as an early Dodge was correct? Norm says his parts catalog from the 30's listed a special one for the model 65 but the catalog did not have a picture of it. I think Norm said it stated it was Nickel? The model 65 has one tail light on the left side and the light is mounted to the arm via two bolts that are around 2" apart from center of bolt to center of bolt. What say ye experts?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: What type of tail light did thee Model 65 use?

Mike:

Look at my mail in the Forum dated Sep.27,06. It may help in your search.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Not claiming to be an expert, Ausssie advertising of the day shows light mounted on arm bolted to side of chassis with bee hive lens for D65.
Sid

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65

Ricardo and Sid thanks for your reply. That's what I thought also that it was a bee hive type. Now was it painted black or nickel plated?

Mike: This may help you to confirm.....My D75 has the "Bee Hive" style left side rear light. The light bucket and rim are nickel plated and the assembly is mounted to the frame on a black painted license plate arm.

Do You own a car built by Durant? D75

Lets see if this works. The 75 is chrome and fits 66, 70, 75, 618 #24897

The 65 is #26073 nickel plated and is 65 or 70

70 however can be the previous mentioned.

For some reason the 65 is its own light.

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I am assuming this arm you talk about is for cars with side mounts and luggage racks ??? I assume because of luggage racks. All D's pre 30 appear to have the tail light in the middle of the spare tire mount, as shown here. (the lense has been reversed since this pic was taken so beehive is on the bottom) Too bad most of our DMAC photos show only the front view of cars but a few that do have rear views, have middle lights. 30 - 33 seem to be fender mounted lights.

Steve's 1929 Durant

D65 parts manual lists left drive and right drive tubular arm for tail light. Original pictures i have seen show arm mounted on side regardless of luggage rack and spare carrier fittment on rear.
Sid

Could that be because its an export car so was based on the laws of that country Australia, England, etc as to where rear lights were placed ?? Left / Right hand drive.

If you check out Touring Car-Andreas Reissmann 1926 or M2 Coupe-Justin Schiess 1928 you'll see the center mounted lights same as the 60 I pictured above here in Ottawa.

I have abslolutely no idea what the difference is to say the 65 has its own light or what it looks like. Catalogue says it has its own. Even better is this one Model 65 Roadster-Clormes Luiz Zanin 1928 in Brazil. The light isn't a beehive on this car, more Model A Ford style. Maybe thats the difference ? and it is on an arm just left of the tire.

Heck I have my own problems wondering what Dorothy's tail light should be. A number of parts on the 32 are strictly 1932 Canadian Durant only and who knows what box or bin or Co they got parts from to build our cars or what they looked like. Not 619 or Fronty or 31 or 33 D. What a way to run a Co with no uniformity. No wonder they faded into history.

Hey fellows;
The "Model 65" does have its own particular arm and tail lamp. The tail lamp is the "Beehive style" but the lamp is slightly larger than those on the 1930 - 32 Durants/Frontenacs. Also the arm is tubular, and mounts on the frame, regardless of whether there is a luggage rack or spare tire. The Model 65 also has ventilating doors in the cowl side panels to allow air to enter to cool off the feet! The 65 was an upgrade from the 40' & 60 cars. There was also a model 63. Durant had many many models in 1928 and 1929. This was just before the Economic crash of 1929 and the world was their oyster. However, they were all real good cars.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Thanks Gord ... I've seen bigger beehive type tail lights / lenses in the past on cars / flea markets and passed on them looking for just the smaller 30 style ones on Dodge, Durant, Desoto and Chrysler.

I ended up with a pair of repro off that guy on Ebay. Just need pot and rim to put one on. Dot seems to have some odd ball jobber thing almost like 612 Deluxe Coupe-Frank Lersch 1932 but its not clear enough to see. I'm sure its CTC ad hoc thing on Dot.
Funny the catalogue doesn't even mention the 633 at all for lights front or back. It does for hub caps, bearings, axles parts, springs, rad, etc.

Other 1929 and earlier models here in Australia except d65 have tail ligts in middle, usually spare carrier. My 1930 614 has light mounted on arm attached to rear guard ( fender ) same as U.S model. Ours are on RHS being RHD country. Our light location wasnt different, although other countries may differ.

Sid

Hi All...

Here are a couple pictures of 1929 tail lights.

The first is a center mounted (in spare tire carrier) as used on the Model 40 and 60.

The second 2 pictures are of the light and mount on my model 6-63

All these cars are wood wheel equiped.

Frank ---

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Lets throw another monkey wrench in it. I noted today the listing above says the Durant's and Frontnac's are different for the 30's up. What or why, I don't know. I really wish they had put pic's of the various differences for the lights and other parts, and not one sample light in the catalogue. Both D and F can have chromed or painted pots, but chromed doors ,for the 30 - 32.

Thanks Frank for the photos which seem to fortify another quirk. The beehive is smooth in your pic's not ringed inside or as the catalogue calls it "semaphore". This "semaphore" is used on the E and 670 Frontenac's with all chromed door and pot. The painted pot on the Frontenac is the smooth type inside. The repro ones I got off Ebay have the rings ,I just checked. Too bad, if I find a pot and door its going on anyway. Perhaps Dodge has the ringed type and that why he casts that with and without the word Dodge.
I noted the pot seems different on your 40 / 60 type to the 63. Sort of a can with straight sides. The 63 style pot is more like a teacup / mug shape and what Dodge and later D's use. AACA forum has the 63 style pot in a couple of pic's used on Dodges etc. Is the 63 two colour red and amber lense ? I see the word Stop in it.

Well everyone thanks for the information I really appreciate it! To answer some of the questions. My model 65 was made in Elizabeth and has an early registration number and an early engine casting number. The tail light is on the side with a tubular arm that mounts directly via factory rivets to the frame. So the bee hive is correct and it appears that from what Norm says from the later catalog that it is nickel. Gord the model 65 does not have the vents on the side of the cowl to let air in. The air comes from a top vent and of course the windshield that folds open. 65 had the gas gauge and temperature gauge moved inside, all wood grain trim inside, and two tone interior. Now everyone can keep a look out for one of these tail lights for me? I've obtained a dodge style without the Dodge script to use until I can find the right one. But somebody has to have one stuck away somewhere. I'd use a model 75 one in a pinch. Thanks!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club