Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1923 Star Model C Touring

Hello, I have just purchased a 1923 Star Touring Model. I purchased it and need to pick it up. I will be needing to rent a car hauler but when I tried to inquire about a hauler from Uhaul the only reference they had was a same year model T. I was told their hauler would not work with a model T as the model T's wheel base was too wide. Could anyone out there tell me the actual wheelbase specs on the Start Touring Model, please?
As soon as I am able to get it home and am able to get all the serial numbers I will be joining this club.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Tony Madson
Fairhope, Alabama.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: 1923 Star Model C Touring

Tony,
Hello and welcome. I am just down the road from you outside of Ft Walton Beach FL. about 70 miles East. There is also a very knowledgable club member who has a similar year STAR and a lot of parts located in Panama City Fl. (a further 70 miles East).

BTW, the club should also provide you with the Track widths which are also very important to get your car onto a trailer. I have a large trailer that I used several times this Summer to pick up my Locomobiles.

If you need any help with your car or it's pickup please let me know. I also have some early STAR Touring body parts as well as a Radiator & Grille w/ Badge.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Tony Congradulations on your purchase. You might want to look for an enclosed trailer. These cars can be hauled with their tops down on an open trailer but the cars are only designed to go 35mph. If you hauling it much fast, the top will become a kite. Bob

Tony
I rented a U-Haul trailer to tow my 28 Durant model 65 home from Atlanta with. Of course the car was not listed on the U-Haul books but it fit on the trailer perfectly. They were more concerned with what type of vehicle I was using to pull it. It towed just fine, but Bob is right, make sure all is secured. I lost a piece of running board trim along the way and nothing else but mine was a 4 door sedan. Was this the Star that was for sale in Texas?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Hi Tony.....

Welcome to the world of Durant Motors !!

Before I had my own trailers, I used U-Hauls to bring home some Durants. They fit fine, and so should your Star. The U-Haul people may have been thinking of a Southern Tread Model T which was WIDE. I always rented the trailer in the town where I was picking up the car, That way you only were towing it one way.

As Bob and Mike said, be very careful with an open car on an open trailer. You will loose the top if you try to tow with it up. Also watch out for any other loose items, like seat cushions, and floor mats.

Good luck with your car and do please become a "Durantonian"......

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

hi tony i towed a 1926 rugby home on my open trailer which is 5foot 11 inches wide and 14 foot long and i had no problems make shure you tie the roof down as well as the engine hood because if the catches let go off it will fly all the best i also have a sister to your star a 1924 rugby right hand drive all orignal has been in the shed for 50 years all the best

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

One word of caution when hauling an open car in an enclosed trailer (with top up) be sure and measure the height of your car at the rear bow before loading for the first time with the top up...My '23 Durant touring car will hit the rear door header and my trailer has an exceptional high opening as compaired with some of the other enclosed trailers...Welcome to the club Tony....Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Re: Re: 1923 Star Model C Touring

Thanks all for the info and advice.

Mike, yes this was the car that went on evil bay out of elpaso texas.

I would be interested in anybody's opinion on what kind of deal you think I got for the 7 grand purchase price. I think you can still pull up the auction by inputting the item number 110298398765 so you can see the photos and description. It will need a new top and also realize it is gonna cost me around another grand to get it into my garage. Sounds like it will need some work with the distributor as well.

The 7 grand purchase price was the reserve price and I was a bit suprised no one bid any higher. No buyers remorse though. I have been watching for a similar car in that erea for some time and after reading the story of Billy Durant and the history of the Star Motor Company I knew it was the car for me.

I have restored numerous prewar tractors but this will be my first car project and I am really looking forward to my new toy.

Now if only my wife shared the same enthusiasum.

Thanks again in advance for any thoughts and advice!

Tony

Tony
I had seen that car on Ebay and I think you did good. It doesn't look bad at all and appears to be in good condition for sitting so long. If I remember all they did was pull it out of the barn and hose it off. Write that check to the Durant Club as soon as possible we are a wealth of information and parts sources which you will need. Hope to see you at a Durant meet soon. Then next annual one will be in Texas.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

I have a 25 touring and have used U-Haul. They told you wrong. The problem is with the wheel diameter. Their trailers use straps that go over the top of the wheel. Many of the straps are too short to fit the large diameter wheels. Also, the straps make a harness that cups the top of the wheel. This easily slips off the narrow tires.

All you need to do is buy some tie-down straps from the local auto parts store and wrap these around the front and rear axles.

Also some locations will tell you that the company forbids them to rent a trailer to carry a car not on their list. I avoid this problem by telling them I'm hauling my 65 Mustang. (I tried saying it was a Model T but this also wasn't approved.)

Finally, I always towed my Touring with the top down and firmly secured. I also flipped the windshield up so as to lower the wind resistance.

And, yes, some places require you have a 3/4 ton truck or SUV to pull it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Tony,
As I said if you want to borrow my flatbed trailer (18' X 6') to go get your "New" car just ask. I used it this summer to make a similar trip to pick up a Locomobille parts car out in Odessa TX. I went up through Mobile Al. from I-10 to Hattisburg Ms. to Jackson Ms. then on Interstate 20 straight to Shreevport La. on out on I-20 to Dallas, etc. It was a pretty easy trip out and back.

Only trouble was being stopped by Texas Highway patrol going out; No Front licence (Texas Req.) No mud flaps on my Dually truck and being suspected as Possible Drug dealers (I-20 is a major Drug corridor).

I have information (time/distances,stops,etc.) if you want. My mileage and times were not really effected pulling the empty trailer out to West Texas.

This would save you the price and hassle of dealing with U-Haul. Just a thought.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Re: Re: 1923 Star Model C Touring

Lance, thank you so much for the offer, really very generous of you. Luckily, the gentleman I purchased the car from used to be a long haul trucker and agreed to a flat fee of $900 dollars to tranport it right to my front door. That is much cheaper than any transport cost I have been quoted and I get the extra benefit of him showing me all the intricacies of the car. Will also be able to get the whole history of the vehicle. Now if only my wife was as excited as I am.
Thanks again.
I will be joining the group just as soon as I get all the numbers off the car and will share what I learn.
Tony

Tony,
That's teriffic!! You can't even drive it for that amount of money, let alone the 5 days or so to do the trip. Plus like you say the owner will explain it's history & quirks, and operation, etc. A great "Deal" all the way around.

Your wife will come around, probably when she sees your nice "Old' car that you got. It will fit right in with the "Antique" nature of Fairhope Al. and the wonderful buildings & spirit there! Fairhope is a great town and a perfwct setting for an old car. Enjoy.
Lance C.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club