Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1928 Durant M-2 information needed

I am finally the proud owner and in possession of a 1928 Durant M-2 four door sedan; California car.

Does anyone have an owner's manual, or reprint they are willing to sell? I am in the "information gathering" stage.

Is there a recommended West Coast tire source? I have four great newish tires but need tubes and flaps.

Thanks. John

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Durant

Re: 1928 Durant M-2 information needed

Thats something we lack here is a tire / tube outlet. All we have is Queensway Tires in Simco (Coker rep) and they just play games with you. Spent a number of months with the Simcoe place and ended back a square one and very frustrated. Sent me quotes and then denied they had. Claimed Coker didn't have my tires when Coker itself gave me the prices for tubes and tires a day before. Been warned to stay clear of them ,which leaves us with n outlet in Ont. Was told to use Les pinus Bertrand in Granby Que (also a Coker rep) but their site is French only and I couldn't see an order asking place. I know Gord seems to be able to deal with Simco for his Fronty tires.

Wouldn't Lucas www.lucasclassictires.com be your tire place in Calif. They carry the Goodyear diamond treads as well.
Perhaps you might have a Coker outlet near you. http://cokertire.com/

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Both Coker at www.cokertire.com and Universal at www.universaltire.com have our size tires. If you do not want to deal with the local Coker distributor, you can always order through the main company or via the internet and they will ship them to you. I know when I'm ready for tires I will go to the web site directly and order them. Coker had the correct tubes, rubber tube protectors and correct metal valve stems for our cars.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Hi John.....

Any of the Antique Ford suppliers have the tires and tubes for our cars.

Also check the latest parts and service directory that was mailed to all members. Some of the other suppliers such as Lucas and Wallace Wade are listed there.

Owners manuals are very generic, you can find them on ebay. The repair manual that you got from me as well as the illustrated parts book are good sources of specific info.

Good luck with your car......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank, you say Ford A suppliers (euch) carry's 5.25 x 5.50 19's (or 18's) our later cars take ? Thought A's took 4.75 x 5.00 19's.

Hey Norm......

I said Ford suppliers NOT just Model A.

Go to MAC'S website and check out the early V8 Catalog. There were 16, 17, and 18 inch tires used and available.

Sorry for any confusion....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy

That's my fault Frank, for assuming you were referring to the A only. Love to rib about Henry's rust boxes to currect date. Too bad Billy didn't get Ford and add it to GM, but then we'd have no T or A's to enjoy.

Mac's doesn't carry 32 Durant sized tires. Let me clarify that statement. I'm talking Leaside info. I don't know what the US used but I suspect the 4.75 on all D's. 19 inch wire's were used on E, 407, 614 and 618. But E, 618 and 685 could also be 18 inch. Gords are 18's. The 1932's used 5.25 x 5.50's 18 or 19's. Queensway Tire has all the old tire books and for some reason the 32's used the bigger size. 1931 and prior used the 4.75's as did Ford, Chev, and a host of cars. I thought it made the car look Gestapo and I should have goons with Tommy guns standing on the running boards. Now I have the smaller tires temp on Dot they seem wrong for her for some reason. Like putting a child's tricycle wheels on an adult bike. They shouldn't, as Stephan's 31 614 uses the smaller tires and it seems right. So Mac's doesn't carry the 19 inch tires we need. Coker has two styles and of course prices. (When our money was at par or better, Qway price was 50% more than Coker for same tire from Coker they order in and $100 delivery price to Ottawa from Simco. That makes no sense. I can see why Gord drove down to get his tire's)

Don't forget you can use a B42 Mack stainless hood strip and ends on the 619's and our Dominion cars, and not have to Micky Mouse 32 Ford hood ones that are a shade too small and ends different.

Wallace Wade in Dallas Tx can supply most needs
www.wallacewade.com
wallacewade@earthlink.net
Butch

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star

hey toone,
how do i determine the size of the tire around my waIST...a 1942 redheaded model???? haHAHHAHA

Ah Gary .. another war baby. I'd suggest you visit Omar the tent maker for sizing, based on what you mentioned in the email about Hershey.

Re: Re: 1928 Durant M-2 information needed

My father I and have used coker tires often, with no problem, all you have to do is place the order and they will deliver. I have mine delivered to a UPS store in the states, therefore I save all broker fees.

Do You own a car built by Durant? no my wife does

i luv ya normie

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 1929

Pictures of John's "New" Durant are now posted in the Photographs section.

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/events/dmac2008/index.html

I do like those nobby tires. Used to be we ran those every winter. I can remember how they howled when we hit the dry pavement. We also had snow tires that had a tread like a tractor tire.
Sure is a good looking car.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Thanks, Gord. Wish I could find a new set of those...I LOVE the tread. John

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Durant

The Durant Motors Automobile Club