Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Axel

I have started the tear down on my rear end out of my '26 R coupe. When I took the rear wheel off the drivers side of the assembly, I noticed the nut holding the wheel on is a different size than the one on the passengers side. The taper on the axle is the same on both sides as far as I can see, just the threads are smaller on one side. Any ideas as to why? Or is it supposed to be like that? Thanks, Brian.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star coupe model R

Re: Rear Axel

Hi Brian.....

The threads on the Durant and Star axles are 5/8 X 11 (same as Ford) So both of your axles should have these threads.

Maybe over the years some one stripped the threads and rethreaded one of your axles. Or is just the wrench size different?

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Re: Rear Axel

I think you are right Frank, must have been a rethread job. I have another rear end I can get an axle out of. I will check and see what they look like. Thanks again, Brian.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club