Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
re info about car

I have a 28 durant as I have been told. It has a lot of extras on dash cigarette lighter radio and other switches that the info I have doesnt include. it is 4 cylinder 6 window leather roof interior is material . seats are cloth and front seat lies down to a bed . luggage rack on back and spare wheel carrier. the wheels are wooden and it has a front and rear bumper bar the engine no isw583052 and model plate is very rusted and I can only make out the number40 11529 and information will be greatly appreciated and if any one can tell me where to get a manual and parts book as I would like to get it to be as origanal as possible in color and interior of the time. thanks

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: re info about car

Well this seems interesting. a 28 / 29 with Pullman front seat. Thought that was 610 1930.

Did you try Terry's site for model / year ? http://www.durantcars.com/basics/history.shtml

If your VIN shows 40 it sounds like a 29 and out of Oakland plant as the number range fits that. ( C 11529 )

Any way you can send pics so club members might help identify the car for you ? Perhaps more info off the motor. You might be able to get more VIN info off the reverse of the VIN plate where the numbers got stamped through. Sounds like you have them all though.

Ebay has manuals constantly for the pre 30's. Some club members have copies. As far as radio etc they are most likely added by one of its former owners.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The W5 engine is the 4 cylinder engine used 28-29.

One of the model names in this period was the "40".

There usually was a letter in front of the serial number to indicate which factory. Most exports to Australia would have shipped from Canada. They would have "T" for Toronto, although it was actually Leaside, Ontario.

See the Tech Page to the left..

It doesn't appear that they built a Model 40 with 11XXX serial numbers.

If your first "1" is really a "T", then it would fit in with the Model "M4" which was produced about the same time and had serial numbers in the 1529 range.

I have an 'M4' with an 'E' for Elizabeth, NJ. I really can't tell you the difference between the M4 and 40. I've never seen a 40. Might have had different style engine cowl and bumper brackets. Maybe a 1/2 point of engine compression? May have just been an arbitrary change to a number to fit in with the sixes. Doesn't seem like anyone was in charge at the Four cylinder factory, 3 different names for the same car.

Yes the W5 was used for 26 Star and then Durant's to 29.

Not sure the letter is stamped into the VIN plate. I think its painted before the stamping.

The envelope I have shows Durant - Frontenac Motors Leaside (Toronto) Ontario. Now of course Leaside is all part of mega Toronto.

3 different names. I assume you are including Rugby. The Australian Durant (or exports) were called Rugby for some reason. Rugby was the Truck US and Canada but again, you can't go by that. We have a Rugby car in Ont. Seems like plants just put what ever was in the box, on cars as they were being built. Painted lights on this one, chrome on that. Durant crest on this Rugby on the next. That's what caught my eye when the car was called a Durant not a Rugby in this forum. Perhaps someone shipped the car from North America and wentto live in Australia so it could be any plant made.

And the questions and game goes on.

Sounds like he has a model 40 and possibly the serial number he is referring to has the fist letter "L" for Lansing which I guess in a rusted condition could be mistaken for a 1. As far as I know Durant did not make the pullman seat except in the 30 year, so maybe somebody installed or made up a car from parts from other somewhere along the way.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

norm, there was a "Star" car in england so billy couldn't use that name outside U>S>, gary k

Why Gary, would that be Star 1898 - 1932 Wolverhampton Staffs Eng ? ha ha Yes It was called the Rugby back home in Eng.
Star 1903 - 04 Cleveland Ohio
Star 1905 - 1921 Turin
Star 1908 Peru Ind

No not smart but often refer to a book The Complete Encycloperia of Motor Cars 1885 - 1968 my wife gave me our 1st Xmas. Its not correct either about Durant info. Says D went out of business early 1932 and Canadian Durant cars were marketed as Frontenac's and sold until 33. Oops I guess our 32 - 33 D's don't exist nor the 33 Fronty's. Often find errors or omissions in the book as did they. They added a small bit of paper correcting parts of it after printing. Still a cool book though. Just caught another. Says the 31 D's were unchanged except for the engines which were Continental's ?? Don't know what that means. Still used the W8 in 407's and 22A 30 - 33 D's and 31 - 33 F's. Perhaps they are talking about the 32A engines in some D's.

great info about the english star car,very good on the racing circuit too, i often wondered about the writes to the name in america. seems like it might have expired before production in north america,or overseas export.more input would be interesting.
brian boys

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club